IE problem

markb5900

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Mark B
Friend asked me today about a problem with IE.
Don't want this to become a FF vs IE discussion PLEASE!

Started yesterday, he opens IE and it brings the page up, then "self reduces" almost RIGHT AWAY.

He does automatic updates, so he got the latest one on Tuesday.
Running IE7, Windows XP.

He tried to restore the system to a prior date, and he gets an error that it is not able to complete the restoration no matter what date he picks.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Mark B

really REALLY wild idea.... what is the home page that IE opens at startup?

Last edited:
are you saying the window goes from maximized to some smaller dimension larger than minimized?

not sure what you mean by self reduces

something in the back of my mind is niggling a stray bit or two ... I sorta kinda half way remember a browser hijack that auto-minimized the window ...

are you saying the window goes from maximized to some smaller dimension larger than minimized?

not sure what you mean by self reduces

Yes it minimizes to the tool bar as soon as the page loads.
Right now the page is set to MSN. He can't change it, because he can't get IE to stay open that long.

Thanks

>Right now the page is set to MSN. He can't change it, because he can't get IE to stay open that lon

It's running windows right? if so, can't he use "Internet Tools" to change the home
page?

In addition, you can select IE from the toolbar, then select the menus by <alt> then space-bar.

You can change the internet options from CONTROL PANEL or does that minimize also?

Can he maximize it again and get it to stay maximized after it does that?

There is a setting in Windows to preserve dialog box size upon close. If IE was closed and this setting is in effect the next time an IE session is initiated it will automatically resize to the last size (minimized, maximized, somewhere in between). You might want to verify that.

Yes it minimizes to the tool bar as soon as the page loads.
Right now the page is set to MSN. He can't change it, because he can't get IE to stay open that long.

Thanks

doing a restore is more reliable if you restart in safe mode, then restore.

Back