ie 7 security block

AuntPeggy

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Namaste
What do I have to do to quit seeing this on my IE 7 screen permanently?
To help protect your security, your web browser has restricted this file from showing active content that could access your computer.
I know how to stop it each time it comes up. I want to prevent it from EVER coming up.

Tools -> Internet Options: Security Tab -> Custom Level / Active X (several options) - Allow

Be careful with this, there are several ways that your computer can be attacked by internet Active X stuff.

Ummm... Use FireFox? :)

:goofy:

Today I had to go to the outsourced web site to choose my work benefits for next year. I used my 100% Microsoft work PC with the standard and blessed Internet Explorer. Every time there was https link with a pop up window I got a blank white error page "Cannot be displayed" and the usual IE error page about how I must be doing something wrong or please contact the site in question.

So I go to Firefox on OS X on my personal MacBookPro. Works fine. :rolleyes:

:goofy:

Today I had to go to the outsourced web site to choose my work benefits for next year. I used my 100% Microsoft work PC with the standard and blessed Internet Explorer. Every time there was https link with a pop up window I got a blank white error page "Cannot be displayed" and the usual IE error page about how I must be doing something wrong or please contact the site in question.

So I go to Firefox on OS X on my personal MacBookPro. Works fine. :rolleyes:
IE does not use the Internet standards for web browsing, they instead are using their own internally developed standards. It is just like going to the 6Y9 website with a real browser, things just don't work right on it.

IE does not use the Internet standards for web browsing, they instead are using their own internally developed standards. It is just like going to the 6Y9 website with a real browser, things just don't work right on it.

When you hold almost the entire market you can essentially define the standard any way you'd like. This is why we are where we are today.

Firefox does not follow every standard either. But this is mostly caused by them trying to maintain compatibility with Internet Explorer.

Also--W3C has standards that somewhat conflict with each other making it difficult for everyone.

Keep in mind--I'm not defending Microsoft. Firefox is the only browser I've used in years at work and at home.

What irritates me is the Federal government is designing active content that will ONLY run on IE, they are disregarding Internet Standards.

For future reference:

1. In RegEdit, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\
  2. Select Edit > New > key
  3. Rename the new key FEATURE_LOCALMACHINE_LOCKDOWN
  4. Select FEATURE_LOCALMACHINE_LOCKDOWN
  5. Select Edit > New > DWORD Value
  6. Change the name to iexplore.exe
  7. Leave the value = 0
  8. Select Edit > New > DWORD Value
  9. Change the name to explorer.exe
  10. Leave the value = 0
  11. In RegEdit, navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\
  12. Select Edit > New > key
  13. Rename the new key FEATURE_LOCALMACHINE_LOCKDOWN
  14. Select FEATURE_LOCALMACHINE_LOCKDOWN
  15. Select Edit > New > DWORD Value
  16. Change the name to iexplore.exe
  17. Leave the value = 0
  18. Select Edit > New > DWORD Value
  19. Change the name to explorer.exe
  20. Leave the value = 0

For future reference:

1. In RegEdit, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\
  2. Select Edit > New > key
  3. Rename the new key FEATURE_LOCALMACHINE_LOCKDOWN
  4. Select FEATURE_LOCALMACHINE_LOCKDOWN
  5. Select Edit > New > DWORD Value
  6. Change the name to iexplore.exe
  7. Leave the value = 0
  8. Select Edit > New > DWORD Value
  9. Change the name to explorer.exe
  10. Leave the value = 0
  11. In RegEdit, navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\
  12. Select Edit > New > key
  13. Rename the new key FEATURE_LOCALMACHINE_LOCKDOWN
  14. Select FEATURE_LOCALMACHINE_LOCKDOWN
  15. Select Edit > New > DWORD Value
  16. Change the name to iexplore.exe
  17. Leave the value = 0
  18. Select Edit > New > DWORD Value
  19. Change the name to explorer.exe
  20. Leave the value = 0

Oh! Izzat all? THAT'S EASY! Why, anybody shoulda known that. :dunno:

Tools -> Internet Options: Security Tab -> Custom Level / Active X (several options) - Allow

Be careful with this, there are several ways that your computer can be attacked by internet Active X stuff.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Unfortunately, this suggestion only works if the content is coming from the internet. If it is from a local file, it is necessary to use RegEdit.

Back