Idle screw falls out

planeviz

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Dave G
A first for me. Coasted on to taxiway and restarted it; last landing of a 3 that day.

Post failure check list:
1. Attempt restart
2. Check bank account balance
3. Call maintenance
4. Pray

At my home airport a few years back a plane took off and the throttle cable broke. I'm told in that model the throttle is spring loaded closed and the cable pulles the throttle open. So at a very low altitude the throttle snapped to idle and they went into a yard and everyone got to burn to death.

Why the throttle would be spring loaded closed is beyond me. Seems a much better idea would be to spring load it open. If the cable breaks the engine goes wide open, I go to an airport and kill it. You can always turn off an engine.

Your story reminded me of this.

At my home airport a few years back a plane took off and the throttle cable broke. I'm told in that model the throttle is spring loaded closed and the cable pulles the throttle open. So at a very low altitude the throttle snapped to idle and they went into a yard and everyone got to burn to death.

Why the throttle would be spring loaded closed is beyond me. Seems a much better idea would be to spring load it open. If the cable breaks the engine goes wide open, I go to an airport and kill it. You can always turn off an engine.

Your story reminded me of this.

My CFI actually trained me on that one (stuck throttle full open). He pushed the throttle all the way in and made me land using only the mixture. I don't know if that is required but my CFI is very thorough.

My CFI actually trained me on that one (stuck throttle full open). He pushed the throttle all the way in and made me land using only the mixture. I don't know if that is required but my CFI is very thorough.
It is not required...but a great idea. (sneaks off and adds to future CFI syllabus:wink2:)

It is not required...but a great idea. (sneaks off and adds to future CFI syllabus:wink2:)

You should. I worked the mixture, in and out, on final, instead of the throttle.

Hint: I didn't know what to do. He didn't tell me what to do. My throttle was stuck. He said "now what" and I forget if I figured it out or he had to tell me. Give your students a chance to figure it out. Start at TPA on downwind with nobody around. Ask questions like "what else could control our airspeed besides throttle" or something like that.

Good, we lost a 172 to a failed bolt on the carb throttle arm.

That's something I'd like to actually learn.

That's an awesome idea. I never had that done to me nor did I ever think to do it. How did the engine respond. I'd imagine it went from no power straight to full or near full power before you cut it again. Was it really jerky?

Also, I wonder what sort of wear this would put on the engine. Still, sounds on paper to be a super exercise and it obviously left an impression. I like it.

It's much like the "big mixture pull" method in LOP operations. You are running the engine at a point where it is so lean it can barely stay running.

If there was a spring the OP was talking about, it sounds to me like it was under the idle stop screw head, adding tension so it cannot walk out.
Y'all are talking about a spring designed to open (apparently or close) the throttle. Dave?

That's an awesome idea. I never had that done to me nor did I ever think to do it. How did the engine respond. I'd imagine it went from no power straight to full or near full power before you cut it again. Was it really jerky?

Also, I wonder what sort of wear this would put on the engine. Still, sounds on paper to be a super exercise and it obviously left an impression. I like it.

From what I remember, and I was a student, it was surprisingly easy to land (almost like normal). VERY GOOD EXERCISE and so glad he showed me.

I think he was a good CFI (though I complained a lot about him) because he made me think.

My last lesson before the checkride, I got the feeling he knew he would never see me again. He gave me a "speech" of sorts when we went to do our run up. He made me park the plane in a different way, had never EVER done that before. I asked him why. He said "when you point the plane into the wind (runway heading), what do you see in front of you" and I said "a ditch". He said, "if your brakes fail at 1700rpm you will have a prop strike and land in a ditch.... but if you point only slightly right you could have enough time to use the rudders, which would still work, to steer the plane onto the taxiway, pull the mixture, and let the plane slowly coast to a full stop on its own."

The stuck throttle, ditch speech, and other lessons were meant to TEACH ME to think, make decisions, question the "normal stuff" and always be PIC.

During PPL training was ahead of schedule and no issues, my CFI "failed" the yolk on downwind. He told me not to touch it and do the full approach. I knew the door trick for rudder, but didn't realize the trim tab would do that well for elevator control. Got lined up on short final and waved off (crosswind). In an emergency it would've been survivable, but not sure what the AC damage might be. Also got a light gun simulation that lesson ... was one of the funnest lessons EVER!

Edit: In the Tiger, I've done slight turns taxiing by having myself or passenger stick both arms full out side by side. In flight can't practice it as the canopy is only allowed to open 6 inches (in an true emergency I'd do it though).

Last edited:
During PPL training was ahead of schedule and no issues, my CFI "failed" the yolk on downwind. He told me not to touch it and do the full approach. I knew the door trick for rudder, but didn't realize the trim tab would do that well for elevator control. Got lined up on short final and waved off (crosswind). In an emergency it would've been survivable, but not sure what the AC damage might be. Also got a light gun simulation that lesson ... was one of the funnest lessons EVER!

Did you really use your door? Did you have him use his? (Sorry I don't know if you had a right or left pattern)

I am tempted to try this. Not sure if it is safe, seems OK to me.

Did you really use your door? Did you have him use his? (Sorry I don't know if you had a right or left pattern)

I am tempted to try this. Not sure if it is safe, seems OK to me.

Do it with a CFI. Make sure there is NO loose paperwork/articles anywhere (checklists). Did it in the 152, you can control both doors after you have them unlatched by just applying pressure on one or the other outward. When it starts to turn it may drop nose down a little (trim to correct). The co-pilot door would pop open on every other takeoff at rotation when I was a student, so it was never a distraction...even had it open on first solo ... just told myself I'll fix that on the downwind leg and slammed it shut then.

Other tricks I've heard about:

1. Pee can be substituted for hydraulic fluid to get the gear down in some Cessna's if the resevoir is at the co-pilot firewall (cabin side).
2. Using the primer as a fuel pump during an engine out might be enough to just maintain altitude to a safe landing spot (this AFTER engine out checklist fails a restart - i.e. continuous pumping on the primer).
3. The tow bar can be used to bring the gear down on some cessnas if the pilot is willing to hang outside (not one I would do).
4. If a mag goes bad, things will probably be better on ONE rather than BOTH (learned that one the hard way - I was a noob and still not PPL - only got to 400 AGL as it went out with no RWY remaining - but I flew the plane first, it held altitude and I got it back down)

Last edited:

Good for him! Too many CFI's don't go deep enough when teaching emergency procedures.

If there was a spring the OP was talking about, it sounds to me like it was under the idle stop screw head, adding tension so it cannot walk out.
Y'all are talking about a spring designed to open (apparently or close) the throttle. Dave?

Letsgo, not really sure to be honest. I had a hard time visualizing how it works from our phone call and he did not mention a spring being involved. I plan to drive out and discuss in person.

Some of you have received flight training for scenarios beyond the usual pick a field routine. Hats off to your CFIs. My private CFI turned the fuel selector to off one day (C-152) to see if I would reach for the checklist when it quit. I did after that!

And threefinger that sounds about right.

The aircraft carbs, if they have a throttle spring at all, will go to full open throttle if the cable attachment breaks. Only auto carbs have the spring that closes the throttle. The accident aircraft might have had n auto conversion, maybe?

Dan

Back