idjits and a______

Bruce, you mix it up with John Q. you get what you get. Everybody can't be above average. Gotta agree with the fellow recommending booze.

Bruce,

On this Thanksgiving, one can't help but to be thankful for your participation here. You give a LOT of yourself for the betterment of the community at large.

I've always divided our "professional" members into two categories (and not just on this forum but on numerous others):

a) There are those who consider themselves a member of the community and contribute freely, sometimes to a fault.

and

b) There are those who prey on the community and only chime in when they feel they can convince someone to buy their services; "I offer a course on xyz where you'll learn all about that".

The latter group gets mad, leaves, and no one typically cares.

The former we need. And we are thankful for their generosity.

Thank you Bruce.

And thanks to many others here---A&Ps, Controllers, Instructors, etc.---who so freely, and frequently, answer questions and give advice. You are appreciated.

Dr. Bruce,

I'd like to say Happy Thanksgiving to you and your wonderful family! I'll also publicly say thank you for you're going WAY beyond the norm to help me, back nearly 10 years ago.

Dr. Bruce is a gem among gems, folks. We are damn lucky he participates and helps so many of us here!

Wait.. how do you put people on ignore?! Please teach me oh master..

(I'm assuming you mean on the forum here..)

Look for the "User CP" link - typically in upper left corner of the PoA page you are viewing. Click on it and in the User Control Panel that displays there should be an "Edit Ignore List" link on the left menu that should take you to the desired mechanism.

Bruce:

You and I are in the same business, only you are a bit more fortunate in having a more selective clientele, while I willingly take whomever comes in the door. There is not a day that goes by where no matter how hard we try, we cannot educate, teach, or convince someone that their lack of knowledge, experience, or understanding is either incorrect or even taking them down a path toward possibly worsening their condition. How many times and how many ways have you spent literally hours trying to explain something like sleep apnea to someone who completely denies that it could be a hazard? Despite our years of study and experience, some people are going to believe what they want to believe, no matter how hard we try.

Or, how many times have people come in essentially demanding something they read about on the internet, saying it's better than our advice or counsel, even if it's medically unsound and unproven?

After listening to the same circular arguments a few times, and trying my best to explain in multiple ways, I finally pick up the papers and ask if they have any other questions, and invite them to come back again if they would like to discuss the subject further.

If we can look in the mirror every morning and say to ourselves that we did the best we could to help these people, than I no longer get frustrated or feel that I have failed them- they, the individuals, have to take some responsibility for their actions, and if they choose to ignore sound medical advice, they also have to suffer the potential consequences.

It comes with the territory- the important thing to remember is all of the people we actually helped along the way- this is what makes the long hours worthwhile.

Bruce:

You and I are in the same business, only you are a bit more fortunate in having a more selective clientele, while I willingly take whomever comes in the door. There is not a day that goes by where no matter how hard we try, we cannot educate, teach, or convince someone that their lack of knowledge, experience, or understanding is either incorrect or even taking them down a path toward possibly worsening their condition. How many times and how many ways have you spent literally hours trying to explain something like sleep apnea to someone who completely denies that it could be a hazard? Despite our years of study and experience, some people are going to believe what they want to believe, no matter how hard we try.

Or, how many times have people come in essentially demanding something they read about on the internet, saying it's better than our advice or counsel, even if it's medically unsound and unproven?

After listening to the same circular arguments a few times, and trying my best to explain in multiple ways, I finally pick up the papers and ask if they have any other questions, and invite them to come back again if they would like to discuss the subject further.

If we can look in the mirror every morning and say to ourselves that we did the best we could to help these people, than I no longer get frustrated or feel that I have failed them- they, the individuals, have to take some responsibility for their actions, and if they choose to ignore sound medical advice, they also have to suffer the potential consequences.

It comes with the territory- the important thing to remember is all of the people we actually helped along the way- this is what makes the long hours worthwhile.

Amen! I have come to the point of not wasting too much breath; I try and explain, then quietly document I have given good advice that the patient chooses to ignore while they ramble on about how taking metformin is poisoning them, but the L-lysine supplement the "nutrition store" gave them means they don't have diabetes anymore and they can eat anything they want......

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back