Idiot Motorcyclist Wins Darwin Award!

K

KennyFlys

Mortorcyclist killed, shuts I-85 north[sic]
(News posters for the AJC need a proof reader!)

The part they leave out... he was attempting to pass between two tractor-trailer trucks on a two-lane stretch of Interstate 85. The state patrol estimtes his speed to have been greater than 110 miles per hour. I feel bad for the truckers, not in the slightest for the idiot.

Kent, if you're familiar with the area, it's the area between the first and second exits on I-85 after I-985 splits off from I-85. There had been paving going on in a section south of there. I wonder how he rode through that stretch.

The accident happened at 3:10 am AND he was traveling in excess of 110 mph. When I read this the only thing I can think is he was on the way home from work or a bar. I hate hearing of any motorcycle fatality since I ride too but we do see idiots every day out there.

Lane splitting at 110+mph at night between tractor/trailers? Uh, yea right, good luck. That's just eaten up with stupid.

sometimes when you are tired its tough to stay sitting upright. if you drive 110 or 120 the wind resistance keeps you sitting up straight and keeps you awake. perfectly reasonable.

sometimes when you are tired its tough to stay sitting upright. if you drive 110 or 120 the wind resistance keeps you sitting up straight and keeps you awake. perfectly reasonable.
And, the riding on the broken white line between the semi's?

well sometimes you just need some extra excitement in your life Kenny :)

hell. whenever I get tired on a motorcycle trip...too tired to make it to the next exit where I can safely stop... a quick run deep into the triple digits provides a nice shot of adrenaline.

Cagers are slow and can't feel the wind. Wouldn't expect them to understand things like this.

Yea. Perfectly reasonable...right up to impact.

I wonder if the guy was blasting along at 3 digits for whatever reason and just came up on the trucks without realizing what was happening then lane spli out of desperation and promptly failed the aerodynamics portion of truck turbulence.

IMHO: Riding at night is hazardous enough with stock headlights at reasonable speeds. Riding beyond the headlight is asking for it.

If you're tired, find a place to pull over and lay down on the ground next to the motorcycle for 10 minutes. That'll get you another 50-75 miles reasonably safe.

Last edited:
Yea. Perfectly reasonable...right up to impact.

I wonder if the guy was blasting along at 3 digits for whatever reason and just came up on the trucks without realizing what was happening then lane spli out of desperation and promptly failed the aerodynamics portion of truck turbulence.
He wouldn't have been doing it for too long. There's paving being done back down the road.

Back