idevice note taking

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Started with the native Notes; when that app started losing my data I switched to NextnoteHD. I am not finding that it can sync between devices.
Is there a similar and simple notetaking app that will allow syncing across idevices, even to a PC laptop? Sharing with another person's idevice too?
Thanks

Evernote works for me, ipad, android, PC.

+1 for Evernote. Fantastic app that syncs with everything I own.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Add another vote for Evernote. Although I do also use iCloud synced standard Notes app also.

Evernote with the scanner is my home and office paperless solution.

Scans a double sides sheet in one pass and converts to an OCRed PDF.

You can also use the Penultimate app with the Jot script stylus and get "paper like" note taking on the iPad.

Evernote is working well, thanks for the tip.
Only limitation to my needs is sharing the notes. Wife and I need to share some notes (groceries, to-do lists) but she doesnt need all my biz notes or her BD gift list!
Can't selectively share notes - it's all or none. (there is a complicated way using Notebooks but I am not going to bother - if it was a checkbox for each shared note, it'd work. Apparently this has been a long-sought feature on the forum but no fix yet)
However, can't beat the price!

Use the notebooks, it's a piece of cake.

Create a notebook called wife, make a new note, then share the "wife" notebook with her. It's seriously a 2 minute process, I do it with my race team and business contacts all the time.

Evernote is working well, thanks for the tip.
Only limitation to my needs is sharing the notes. Wife and I need to share some notes (groceries, to-do lists) but she doesnt need all my biz notes or her BD gift list!
Can't selectively share notes - it's all or none. (there is a complicated way using Notebooks but I am not going to bother - if it was a checkbox for each shared note, it'd work. Apparently this has been a long-sought feature on the forum but no fix yet)
However, can't beat the price!

Grocery IQ is a great free grocery list app that shares between devices. Also scans bar codes and remembers previous items bought.

I guess I should, Puggs. Give me a month or two to catch up.
John, I actually have the grocery app - I am so slow I couldn't figure it out and abandoned it. Thanks guys.

You might want to check out NOTABILITY. I've only scratched the surface because I don't find myself taking a whole lot of notes. Just occasionally during training classes at work and at aviation seminars.

http://www.macsources.com/review-evernote-vs-notability/

"Notability fully integrates handwriting, note taking, audio recording and PDF annotation. Users can sync notes through the cloud, Dropbox or WebDAV. Notability allows you to export notes through email, iTunes, Dropbox, iDisk, WebDAV or by printing."

"The biggest plus that Notability has going for it is the ability to include handwritten notes into typed ones. I was in a meeting this past weekend where taking notes was essential. I found myself utilizing typed notes at first, but followed up with the handwriting function to highlight important parts of the note. This is invaluable to me."

Last edited:
You might want to check out NOTABILITY. I've only scratched the surface because I don't find myself taking a whole lot of notes. Just occasionally during training classes at work and at aviation seminars.

http://www.macsources.com/review-evernote-vs-notability/

"Notability fully integrates handwriting, note taking, audio recording and PDF annotation. Users can sync notes through the cloud, Dropbox or WebDAV. Notability allows you to export notes through email, iTunes, Dropbox, iDisk, WebDAV or by printing."

"The biggest plus that Notability has going for it is the ability to include handwritten notes into typed ones. I was in a meeting this past weekend where taking notes was essential. I found myself utilizing typed notes at first, but followed up with the handwriting function to highlight important parts of the note. This is invaluable to me."

Penultimate with the "Jot" stylus is also very nice.

heck, Evernote is now disabled unless you are connected with their server....or have a paid subscription. Not terribly surprising but now you only can see a preview of your note when traveling away from your wifi. Time to find an alternative. Or pay the fee.

I paid the fee. I use Evernote to scan every piece of "paper" I get, then I throw out the paper.

Being able to do an instant full text search of all that paper is very handy...

I've been using OneNote. Love it. Syncs across all my devices, Windows, Mac, Android and iPad....for free!

Is OneNote the MS offering? I tried dling one of them and it promised a 30minute download of MS Office (I think it was) so I stopped it.

Yes you need MS Office in order to use OneNote on the PC laptop.
Back to square one.
Crazy that there is no free app for such a simple task.
I have free apps that can tell me exactly where a distant star is, how far & bright; I have them to store 5gb of photos; one that will suggest a diagnosis given 10 symptoms, but I can't keep track of what I need at the hardware store.

I'm a fan of SimpleNote, but don't need any of the features (some call it bloat) of the larger offerings. Syncs effortlessly between my devices and I can easily share individual notes with people, if needed.

ok, will try SimpleNote - thanks.
edit; will work on PC laptop? it says 'mac, iphone, android, web'.

Last edited:
There are many free services that store way more data than a lifetime of my notes ever would; for eg Shutterfly (probably 10 pics would have all the data space I would ever use for notes), tinypic.com same thing. These are two I know of. Perhaps their biz model draws in sales from larger accounts or sales of related products? Would never deny the reasonableness, or even rue that a space provider should make $ from their service; just wondering - and it seems pricier than comparable services.

Evernote is a great, cloud-based product that syncs notes and allows you to share them.
However, if what you want to do is to create and share lists of things, then Wunderlist https://www.wunderlist.com/ is the perfect program. Cross-platoform, cloud-syncing, and IOS/Android apps.

Brian

Evernote rocks. I scan and shred every piece of paper I get now.

It seems like >1 app is required to make it happen, and the sync would not be invisible?

I'm not really sure. I use it on iPhone, iPad and Mac... and my wife has access to some notes from her iPhone. No manual sync necessary (it just happens).

Back