Identify this GPS

gitmo234

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
gitmo234
Any help identifying the GPS in the bottom of the stack in the attached picture?

I've been out of the country since I sold my 172 and I'm looking at an aircraft to pick up this summer when I return. Through a series of looking, calling and posting, none of the aircraft I've had my eye on have worked out but they did lead me to someone in a similar situation who would be willing to offload theres if the price is right.

He's also away from home and can't remember the model of GPS but said it was an older but IFR certified Garmin.

I'm trying to figure out what it is so I can look up features and figure future ADS-B upgrade requirements. This is the best quality picture i have

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-02-04 at 11.49.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-02-04 at 11.49.56 PM.png
    114.7 KB · Views: 138
Looks like an old Apollo GX-55.

From the pictures i found of those, I believe you're right. Thank you

It's an Apollo GX-series unit. Hard to tell if it's a GX50/55/60/65, they all look mostly the same. The GX50 is GPS-only, approach certified. The 55 is GPS-only, but enroute only (no GPS appraoches). The 60 has a COM and is approach certified; the 65 has a COM and is enroute only.

Yup it's a gx series. I have the gx60 in my cherokee. Good little unit.

I have the GX-50 and it's time for a map upgrade. Where do you guys get your datacards?

Problem is not getting the update, it's finding the programmer to get the update to your card. I would update mine tomorrow if I had the card reader.

Problem is not getting the update, it's finding the programmer to get the update to your card. I would update mine tomorrow if I had the card reader.

Jepp still sells them, you just have to call (can't order online). $90 or so. They do pop up on eBay from time to time, I snagged on a few weeks back for $25.

Jepp still sells them, you just have to call (can't order online). $90 or so. They do pop up on eBay from time to time, I snagged on a few weeks back for $25.

I'll buy it off you for $30, that's a 20% return for investment for you! :)

I haven't had any luck on eBay yet. Will keep looking...

Back