Identify this engine

Aren't those called Flyweights rather than Flywheels ?

Isn't that what I called them? (they are actually counter weights) but the function is the same, balance the crank, and add mass to the rotating group.

same as your flywheel on the little diesel boat engines.

The big difference is the little boat engine will run with out the prop installed, but the aircraft engine won't because it does not have enough rotating mass to keep the engine rotating while not on a power stroke.

Isn't that what I called them? (they are actually counter weights) but the function is the same, balance the crank, and add mass to the rotating group.

same as your flywheel on the little diesel boat engines.

The big difference is the little boat engine will run with out the prop installed, but the aircraft engine won't because it does not have enough rotating mass to keep the engine rotating while not on a power stroke.

Little? 20 cylinders of 710 cubic inches each is little? But I understand what you are getting at. I know what flywheels, flyweights and propellors do from a rotating mass perspective. There is though a physical and engineering difference between the objects related to each term, even if they may serve to the same effect. So as I said, I don't know of any radial with a flywheel.

Back