Identification Quiz

MBDiagMan

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Doc
For those of you who know WWII military aircraft, can you identify this plane, both military and civilian designation?

Attachments

• IMG_6205.jpeg
    IMG_6205.jpeg
    113.5 KB · Views: 84
I feel like this is a trick question but I’ll bite— C-47 Skytrain/ DC-3

Yes, it is a trick question. Your answer would appear to be mostly correct on the surface. I’m not trying to embarrass anyone, but after the guesses have run their course, I think everyone will enjoy the explanation. Just good natured fun.

It is possible that someone will come up with the correct answer.

DC-2/C-33?

Yes, it is a trick question. Your answer would appear to be mostly correct on the surface. I’m not trying to embarrass anyone, but after the guesses have run their course, I think everyone will enjoy the explanation. Just good natured fun.

It is possible that someone will come up with the correct answer.
Was that the DC2 1/2

Don't see a cargo door, so that would make it a c49, which was a military commandeered dc3?

C-41. I only know it because I have been to the museum twice.

C-41. I only know it because I have been to the museum twice.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

This is the only C41 ever built. It was bought by the US government in 1938 and was built with 12 place executive seating and 900HP engines and given C41 as its military designation. It ended up as Hap Arnold’s personal transportation through much of WWII. A short time after this C41 was purchased, the DC3 type was modified into the C47 for the war effort. The aircraft is relatively low time and is finishing up a long term upgrade. They pulled it out a few weeks ago to run the fresh engines.

Didn’t know they posted that video. They are doing that work right outside my hangar. It’s been great hearing. Those radials the last few days.

Back