Ideas for partial upgrade

Corey J

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
CJ
VFR pilot looking to finish off Instrument.

I don't anticipate flying in heavy soup with low ceilings. Really just to get out, maybe on top with relatively decent weather at destination..or just won't go. Plan to set pretty moderate personal minimums another words.

Cessna Skymaster, currently has:
Stec 55x w CWS
GNC300XL
KN64DME
KR87 ADF
2 MX-170B with KI209A Glideslopes
KT76A transponder with Avionix Tail beacon
Strikefinder
Eaton Annunciation push switches to control what feeds autopilot, glideslopes, etc.
I use Stratus 2 and Fore-flight

Thinking for training (and usefulness) to add Waas/GPS capability.

Am looking at adding one of following:
Garmin GPS175
Garmin GNC355
Garmin GNX375
Probably a G5 HSI or AV30 as well.

Have thought about a used 430 or 530, but for what they cost along with installation thought it might be better to go with a unit mentioned above.

All input appreciated
smile.gif
) Better ways to skin the cat?

If cost is the concern I don't see how you can go wrong with a Garmin GPS175...

A Garmin GPS for sure. Dual G5s make IFR flying very easy.

Get rid of the ADF,DME and upgrade the GNC 300. Replace with a newer Garmin GPS.

Garmin GNC355
Garmin GNX375
My personal preference is GNX375 over GNC355 because the COM radio consumes extra space on the display and utility on the knob.
Probably a G5 HSI or AV30 as well.
Note that the G5 is a an HSI while the AV30 is not. Most notably, the AV30 lateral guidance is advisory-only and it does not provide vertical guidance and will "precess" like a vacuum DG.

Note that the G5 is a an HSI while the AV30 is not. Most notably, the AV30 lateral guidance is advisory-only and it does not provide vertical guidance and will "precess" like a vacuum DG.

The G5 HSI is connected to a magnetometer which will allow it to continuously self-correct. In addition the G5 HSI can provide GPSS emulation for your autopilot if you don't have that capability already. The AV30 can do neither of those things. In addition the G5 can also serve as the CDI for your WAAS GPS. If you don't install the G5 HSI, you will likely need a dedicated CDI for the WAAS GPS for IFR operations. For IFR approaches, it's nice to have the CDI in your primary instrument scan.

Great suggestions. G5 for sure, likely 2. Will probably move vacuum AI to use as back-up.
Definitely going to ditch the gnc300, and adf, will have room for dme, so is it worth removing.. is it needed?
Leaning towards the 355 to replace gnc300s com. Already have ads-b covered with tail beacon, so don’t necessarily need it in unit. (Lots of panel room left)

dme, so is it worth removing.. is it needed?
It's not really needed if you have a WAAS GPS. On the other hand, if it's working well and you don't need the space/weight or have other motivation to ditch it then I don't see a good reason to remove it either.

The 355 would be a great option since you already have ADS-B. A G5 HSI would be better than a dedicated CDI. Two G5s nicer if possible. DME will probably be rarely used with WAAS.

I just installed a Garmin GNC 355 and G5 in my plane for a budget IFR platform

Great insights so far. What are thoughts on the Aspen 1000 vs dual G5’s? Pros /cons?

Great insights so far. What are thoughts on the Aspen 1000 vs dual G5’s? Pros /cons?

They can provide similar functions, but...dual G5s provide redundancy. In case of failure of the AI the HSI will switch over to be your AI. The Aspen is a single point failure mode. The G5 backup bateries have up to 4 hours capacity. The Aspen is much less that that (30 min IIRC?). If you are playing with Garmin equipment, the G5s will be easier to get support for and will be guaranteed to interface properly.

I had a choice between an Aspen or G5s. My installer could do either. The Aspen was a little cheaper. I still went with the G5s since I have a Garmin navigator and I knew they would work properly with my STEC AP. I am very happy with them. I think my installer put G5s in his plane, too. Garmin updates the firmware every few months to fix issues and improve performance.

Back