Idea for digitizing log book / transcription service

twdeckard

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
twdeckard
I have been fiddling around with digitizing my logbook using spreadsheets and the various internet services. There is even a commercial service that will key it in for .25c a line or some such (I can get the 9 year old to work much cheaper but she cannot read my writing).

Its the textual entries that I am struggling with, they take the most time to type in.

Now I don't have that much to enter but it exceeds my patience.

I just had an idea. I was looking into commercial transcription services to detail some video. Its amazingly cheap (.75c/minute to pour thru video or audio). Cheaper if you use a Mechanical Turk service. I wonder if I could "read" my logbook at sufficient pace to beat a quarter a line and then upload it? Haven't decided if I would read out times and so forth, or if I could read aloud in XML?

I'll let everyone know if I carry thru with the idea.

I used transcription service once to record great-grandmothers memories. The transcription time includes stopping, starting the recording and stopping to replay. Not just the accumulated time on the tape.

Not that I cared. Just want to make sure you know.

Just block out a day and do it. Lucky for me, I had started making a database when I was a student pilot, and only had to copy a few pages in. Sure the display and entry has changed in the past 7 years, but all the hard data has remained the same.

Back