Idea for Aviation/Land GPS + Phone for under $500?

wbarnhill

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
iEXTERMINATE
Was looking around at ideas for an aviation/land gps, and happened to find the following:

Cingular HP iPaq hw6515 (Refurb) w/ integrated GPS receiver - $199 with 2-yr contract (Or can buy new for around $500-600)
Anywhere Map (Aviation) - $95
Destinator (Land) - $149
1GB SD Card - $30

Total Cost: $473

Might look like it's time for me to move away from Verizon... Monthly costs for me (including unlimited data) would be right at 80$, whereas I'm paying 70 right now just for voice and messaging.

Last edited:
bleh... cingular. Hopefully it works better in your part of the country.

AirBaker said:
bleh... cingular. Hopefully it works better in your part of the country.

It was just an idea I was tossing around in my head... Will probably stick with verizon just because I don't want to have to deal with termination fees. So instead I will probably just end up spending 650 for a Dell Axim X51v w/ Anywhere Map and Bluetooth GPS.

Ask Kent because he depends on Cingular EDGE connectivity. My experience is it works once in a while. You need all 4 bars to get any connectivity and even then it rarely runs at a reasonable speed more than a minute of two. I suspect along with the iffy cell network they have the back office stuff way oversubscribed.

BUT, my phone did work for Dave at Gastons when his Verizon one wouldn't.

The other night I went to call Jann as I got off the train simply to ask what she wanted at the supermarket. Between us we pay well over $200 for a month for Cingular service. Between her worthless RAZR and my Windows Mobile it-works-fine-if-have-all-5-hands-free phones, we NEVER got the message across after an hour. Hers dropped the call. When she called me I couldn't answer her call while driving - the phone went to the edit-owner screen rather than answering. When I called her later she was a) talking to her friend and call waiting didn't work or b) out of the service area. I finally managed to ask when she got home. Technology is wunnerful.

Last edited:
mikea said:
Ask Kent because he depends on Cingular EDGE connectivity. My experience is it works once in a while. You need all 4 bars to get any connectivity and even then it rarely runs at a reasonable speed more than a minute of two.

Really?

I've had data calls go dead after a couple of minutes, but i've also had them last upwards of 12 hours with no problems. Less than two bars, forget it. Other than that, more bars = more speed. However, some areas certainly seem to have better upstream pipes than others. But, I've gotten some pretty impressive data rates.

As for voice, Verizon does better in extremely rural areas while Cingular really does have fewer dropped calls (as advertised) IME.

For most people, I'd recommend either/or (Verizon/Cingular); but if you want to have fully functional bluetooth/gadget phones, go Cingular.

flyingcheesehead said:
Really?

for most people, I'd recommend either/or (Verizon/Cingular); but if you want to have fully functional bluetooth/gadget phones, go Cingular.

The Motorola Q phone is by far the coolest phone available now. It is only available through Verizon until the end of the year, then the other companies can get it.

LeonardMack said:
The Motorola Q phone is by far the coolest phone available now. It is only available through Verizon until the end of the year, then the other companies can get it.

The only thing I hate about the Q is there is no touch screen. I refuse to try to surf websites using a scroll wheel :p

I've played with the Q, setting up MS Activesync to our Exchange servers for a guy at work. I'll take my Sprint PPC6700 over the Q any day of the week. I wasn't impressed. The keyboard is made for children's fingers and the screen is tinier than mine, which is the smallest I would go.

The Q is Motorola's answer to the Blackberry. They still have a ways to go, though.

Brian Austin said:
The Q is Motorola's answer to the Blackberry. They still have a ways to go, though.

If you don't think the Q phone is better than a blackberry, nothing must impress you!

I do like my 6700 mainly for the fact of the keyboard. I have essentially stopped carry a laptop when travelling. I can do everything I need to do to manage server with that little device!

I had T-mobile...switched to Cingular..In this area the coverage really sucked in rural areas which was not acceptable to me. I switched back to T-Mobile and have been happy ever since.

LeonardMack said:
If you don't think the Q phone is better than a blackberry, nothing must impress you!
I work the heck out of my technical equipment. I wasn't impressed with Blackberry either.

LeonardMack said:
I do like my 6700 mainly for the fact of the keyboard. I have essentially stopped carry a laptop when travelling. I can do everything I need to do to manage server with that little device!
The keyboard is what hooked me on the 6700. That and Sprint's policy of leaving everything in place (ie non-crippled) so I can use it as it was intended. I love the fact that, when accessing the Internet and Wifi is available, the system shuts down the EVDO connection after jumping on the Wifi link.

What about Verizons air card for laptops? Anyone use it? Have opinions they would like to share?

And Brian, you like the 6700, but you tak about Sprint - Verizon uses it as well - what do you think about them?

etsisk said:
What about Verizons air card for laptops? Anyone use it? Have opinions they would like to share?

And Brian, you like the 6700, but you tak about Sprint - Verizon uses it as well - what do you think about them?

Verizon's been known to cripple bluetooth so you can only use it to do headset connections... No transferring files (so you have to use their picture/video messaging service rather than transferring it to your PC... I dunno if they'll let you use the bluetooth to connect to a GPS or not :/

Brian Austin said:
I work the heck out of my technical equipment. I wasn't impressed with Blackberry either.

I was not impressed with any blackberry device either. Anything is better than a blackberry, in my opinion.

Back