Idaho is calling

Gone Flyin

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Gone Flyin
Been watching a bunch of very cool videos of backcountry flyers in Idaho.

What a blast they have hopping from grass strip to grass strip all day long and the scenery is just amazing. Living in boring, old Connecticut, I envy them big time.

For anyone who has been there... what is the deal with these grass strips. They appear to be fairly well maintained in many cases... grass is cut, etc. Some have what look to be "camps" that you can maybe bunk at (?)

Are these public-use strips or BLM land?

Do you need to pay a landing fee to use them?

What does that cost?

I have several videos from that area. It's an absolute treasure.

To your specific questions:

"For anyone who has been there... what is the deal with these grass strips. They appear to be fairly well maintained in many cases... grass is cut, etc."

Only a handful are maintained like that. Johnson Creek is famously so. And irrigated also. A handful of others. I'm told Moose Creek gets cut occasionally with a mule powered mower, since wheeled vehicles and powered tools are forbidden in the wilderness area.

But most are completely unmaintained.

" Some have what look to be "camps" that you can maybe bunk at (?)"

Depends what you mean. Again, Johnson Creek, has a caretaker, some level of internet and power to charge devices. But no bunk houses in any meaningful sense. Big Creek has a lodge that is insanely beautiful, but that's super unusual. Cavanaugh Bay might have some rental kinds of lodging, but I camped there.

"Are these public-use strips or BLM land?"

There is a variety of ownership. Pretty much everything you could think of. Wilderness areas, state parks, national parks, BLM land, privately owned. You will serve yourself well to investigate each strip being considered and not make assumptions as to rules based on others in the area.

"Do you need to pay a landing fee to use them?"

Nope. At least none that I've ever heard of. Though there definitely are *private* strips that are only open to guests of the property/lodge/whatever. Keep an eye out for those as well.

If you can get your hands on a copy of Bound for the Backcountry, do so. It's a fantastic book about the history of the area.

Your tagline says you fly a 150. This will make many of the strips inaccessible to you. Another great resource is Fly Idaho. This book is actually in two parts, one which is the history and background information of each strip. The other (a separate book designed to be with you in the cockpit) is flying information about each strip and the hazards involved with each. Galen passed away and the information will become out of date as the years progress unless someone (I'm looking at you The RAF) steps in and leads an effort to keep them updated. But *today* they are still very much current enough to be useful.

Last edited:
Been watching a bunch of very cool videos of backcountry flyers in Idaho.

What a blast they have hopping from grass strip to grass strip all day long and the scenery is just amazing. Living in boring, old Connecticut, I envy them big time.

For anyone who has been there... what is the deal with these grass strips. They appear to be fairly well maintained in many cases... grass is cut, etc. Some have what look to be "camps" that you can maybe bunk at (?)

Are these public-use strips or BLM land?

Do you need to pay a landing fee to use them?

What does that cost?

What Rich said... Johnson Creek is a national treasure, and there's a bunch of other ones in that general vicinity too. I sure wish I lived close enough to make an occasional weekend trip out there. Alas, generally the faster plane you have, the worse it is for the backcountry. The 182 was great, but would have been 10 hours each way to get there. Now I have a plane that will get me out there in about 7 hours which is still a bit of a stretch for a weekend "fun" trip, but I wouldn't be landing it at Johnson Creek in any conditions I'd be willing to camp in! :rofl:

If I had all the money, I'd have a jet and a place somewhere out there and a nice backcountry bird. I suspect that's why Harrison Ford lives in Jackson Hole.

Thank you for the detailed reply. I will make it a point to watch your videos. No, I will not be going in the near future as I live in CT but it sure is fun to watch it.

Your tagline says you fly a 150. This will make many of the strips inaccessible to you. Another great resource is Fly Idaho. This book is actually in two parts, one which is the history and background information of each strip.

Why do you say it's not possible for s 150 to go there?

Is it the altitude these strips are at that make it impossible for the 150 (limited to 14,000 feet ceiling) or?

Just wondering.

Thanks

And if you live where I do, the intentional line drawn around a once fairly conservative town destroyed by inexperienced and virtue signaling city politicians is almost humorous. Almost. Oregon is like a supermodel on very heavy doses of DID medication. Pretty to look at, but you DEFINITELY don't want to live with!

GI.PNG

Last edited:
I suspect that's why Harrison Ford lives in Jackson Hole.

On one of my trips to Idaho, I think at Wilson Bar specifically, I was talking with a pilot who flies for one of the outfits that serves the backcountry. He told me that when Harrison goes to the backcountry, he does it with style. Allegedly he and his friends will bomb around in their STOL planes at various strips and hike around and take in the sights, while a support team flies into strips that can take a Caravan with tents, food, cooks, support staff, etc to have the camp setup and dinner ready when he and his buddies get there. Seems like something I would be interested in trying once or twice!

Why do you say it's not possible for s 150 to go there?

Is it the altitude these strips are at that make it impossible for the 150 (limited to 14,000 feet ceiling) or?

150 has some disadvantages.

1. Nose wheel. Not preferred due to roughness of some strips and desire to keep the prop out of the weeds.
  2. Takeoff distance. The POH says a 150 can be airborne in 700 feet. Some strips are this short. All are grass, which will extend the roll. All are at a few thousand ft in altitude, which well extend the roll. Some are in excess of a mile in altitude, which will extend the roll a lot. Depending on weather, some will be hot, which combines with grass and altitude might make it actually impossible to get airborne in some cases.
  3. Note that I said "inaccessible", rather than impossible. For me, the entire point is to camp out at the strips. A 150 with enough gear, fuel and food to camp is going to be at full gross. This will amplify all the concerns in points 1 and 2. If you get yourself down to the original weight of an FAA human (140 pounds), have no gear, go on a cool day and are willing to pick strips that won't break your nose wheel or cause the propeller tips to Cuisinart the grass then you'll have more strips to choose from. This is especially true if you're willing to white-knuckle into your rotation without much runway remaining. I prefer not to have those limitations. :)

I’ve only been back in Idaho for a couple of years but we go anywhere that’s comfortable to get to in the Bonanza. Backcountry fly8ng is a hoot! Our favorite place for breakfast is Smiley Creek. It’s high at ~7200’MSL but is a beautiful, wide valley and has a great restaurant with that has a few yurts and cabins to rent if you are short on UL. Camping at the strip is free with Wi-Fi and (usually) coffee.

I did a backcountry flying course a few years back. I recommend getting specific training to anyone who didn’t grow up mtn flying; sure you could do it without it but it’s a lot of fun, you will definitely learn something and it will make you a better & more confident/competent backcountry flyer.

Similar to the 150, I’m limited in the places I can go in the Bo. Really rough or really short cuts me out. We still have some good options - Smiley, Moose Creek, Stanley, Sulfur Creek, Garden Valley, Cavanaugh Bay, Smith Prairie and some private strips are all easy in the Bo. Come on out and we’ll do some flying!

Come on down to the next Cheat River fly-in in West Virginia. A bunch of us flew down from CT a couple of weeks ago.

Not my video, this is from the guy who parked next to me (you can skip the first 3 minutes of puppy stuff):

Living in boring, old Connecticut, I envy them big time.
There are several great backcountry strips to the North of you in Maine/NY/NH/VT. The RAF (Recreational Aviation Foundation) has resources to make backcountry flying accessible to all pilots. Check out what fields near you that you can fly into:
Pilot Info - Recreational Aviation Foundation (theraf.org)

Of course go get training as necessary for these types of runways and conditions.

There are several great backcountry strips to the North of you in Maine/NY/NH/VT...

Found a couple in Vermont and three in my state of Ct. One of which is my home base, Goodspeed. Hardly a backcountry strip, although, they do allow you to land on the grass or the asphalt.

STOLport:

A STOLport or STOLPORT was an airport designed with STOL operations in mind, usually for an aircraft class of certain weight and size. Wikipedia

If there was a grass field at 500' AGL, around 1300' in length with 50' trees at the North (prevailing winds) end... how many planes can you think of that could get in and out of there?

Name them if you know of any, please.

Last edited:
If there was a grass field at 500' AGL, around 1300' in length with 50' trees at the North (prevailing winds) end... how many planes can you think of that could get in and out of there?

Name them if you know of any, please.
The vast majority of the high-wing GA fleet would be just fine with that
Cessna 170 through 210
Maules
Stinson
Piper cub & variants & spinoffs
American Champion/Bellanca Citabria series
And many dozen others.

The vast majority of the high-wing GA fleet would be just fine with that

Interesting and good to know... thanks!

I'm in the process of building such a STOlport in the Northeast. If all goes well (and I can get it past the powers that be) I might have it ready by years end or early next.

Not fair that Idaho should have all the fun.

This place will offer camping, hiking, a fantastic river to fish or swim in. It will have parking for a dozen or more cars (so your non-flying friends can meet up with you) a large wooden canopy with picnic tables, a smokeless fire pit, cell phone repeater, solar charging station. It will be (almost ;)) as nice as they have in Idaho and it will be free to use.

I'm hoping others will do the same so we can build a larger network of fields in the upper Northeast to enjoy and promote the sport of backcountry flying.

Wish me luck!

Last edited:
Check out the field across the river from Goodspeed, just south of the ferry landing. A bunch of us were flying ultralights and other small planes there a few years ago, when Goodspeed was less friendly.

Waterbury airport (N41) allows camping on the field, there's also an actual campground next door.

Am planning to buy a 2nd home in Colorado, most likely Steamboat Springs or Eagle/Vail, for approx 50% residence. Initially the motivation was winter and skiing. But the more I look at a map of how close Steamboat is to Wyoming, Idaho, and Utah, the more excited I get about summer and flying. Super Decathlons are not known as STOL airplanes, but performance should be viable for many strips. Came close to pulling the trigger this year, but market is just too skewed. Hopefully next summer.

Check out the field across the river from Goodspeed, just south of the ferry landing. A bunch of us were flying ultralights and other small planes there a few years ago, when Goodspeed was less friendly...

Interesting.

Yes, the new owners of Goodspeed have gone out of their way to make it a go-to place.

Just spent a ton of $$ to remake the seaplane dock bigger and better. They allow landing on the grass and that now has big yellow cone markings.

Still no fuel and not likely to get any. The cost is just too much.

Probably the most scenic airport in the state.

On one of my trips to Idaho, I think at Wilson Bar specifically, I was talking with a pilot who flies for one of the outfits that serves the backcountry. He told me that when Harrison goes to the backcountry, he does it with style. Allegedly he and his friends will bomb around in their STOL planes at various strips and hike around and take in the sights, while a support team flies into strips that can take a Caravan with tents, food, cooks, support staff, etc to have the camp setup and dinner ready when he and his buddies get there. Seems like something I would be interested in trying once or twice!

This kind of thing is actually more common than you'd think. Hunting and fishing guides will arrange it for wealthy clients. I've seen some huge camp sites in areas with no roads at all. Takes many C206 flights to pack all the gear in and out. But it keeps the locals employed.

C.

This kind of thing is actually more common than you'd think. Hunting and fishing guides will arrange it for wealthy clients. I've seen some huge camp sites in areas with no roads at all. Takes many C206 flights to pack all the gear in and out. But it keeps the locals employed

I need to get on their list of chef's somehow...

Idaho is wonderful flying, but not for the timid or unprepared. I love it there, so much I just bought a ranch between Salmon and Challis, with a hayfield landing area of course.

Interesting and good to know... thanks!

I'm in the process of building such a STOlport in the Northeast. If all goes well (and I can get it past the powers that be) I might have it ready by years end or early next.

Not fair that Idaho should have all the fun.

This place will offer camping, hiking, a fantastic river to fish or swim in. It will have parking for a dozen or more cars (so your non-flying friends can meet up with you) a large wooden canopy with picnic tables, a smokeless fire pit, cell phone repeater, solar charging station. It will be (almost ;)) as nice as they have in Idaho and it will be free to use.

I'm hoping others will do the same so we can build a larger network of fields in the upper Northeast to enjoy and promote the sport of backcountry flying.

Wish me luck!
Good luck.
Check out TENTR for what they can offer you. Go ahead and charge a bit https://www.tentrr.com/

I fly a lot in the Idaho and Oregon Back countries. I have some videos here: www.youtube.com/skybobb . The Idaho Aviation Association keeps a lot of the back country strips up, they furnish care takers and vehicles at some strips like Johnson Creek which is about 4 miles from Yellow Pine, ID. Some are privately owned some let you land some don't. The Minam lodge in Oregon is privately owned but they will let you land if you call ahead. You can fly in and stay at the lodge or just for breakfast. www.minam-riverlodge.com it is 81/2 miles for any road.

Last edited:
I'm still working to get back to Idaho (I'm from the southern part of the state)...my wife and I are both retired, so finally making progress on getting our house decluttered and ready to sell, but that's taking forever. Which is acceptable only because we are seeing very, very few houses of interest in the Coeur d'Alene area, which is where we plan to settle. I'll be looking for a flying club at or near KCOE.

Back