I'd like to see this jump NOTAM

I remember reading the article on the previous record holder back when i was a kid (it was almost contemporaneous then). I seem to recall he had a problem with the glove on his pressure suit and suffered some difficulty with his hand as a result.

Frankly, it gives me the shivers when I hear the jumper's away calls on a 20 degree day. It's too darned cold for that....what's the windchill on a falling body?

He is going to try to break the sound barrier on the way down!! Baumgartner has some very impressive credentials and Kittinger is advising. Most excellent effort.

OT, but is anyone else creeped out by Sir Richard Branson in those latest commercials?? I will take a pass on being "serviced", thank you very much.

The article I just read said David Clark manufactured his suit. Interesting.

To do it at all required a custom supersonic spacesuit, designed by the David Clark Company, which made the first such pressurized suits to protect World War II fighters during high-speed maneuvers.

I remember reading the article on the previous record holder back when i was a kid (it was almost contemporaneous then). I seem to recall he had a problem with the glove on his pressure suit and suffered some difficulty with his hand as a result.

Frankly, it gives me the shivers when I hear the jumper's away calls on a 20 degree day. It's too darned cold for that....what's the windchill on a falling body?

Yep, he sat on his hand to help keep the blood from pooling there.

Didn't tell anyone because he figgured they'd make him abort.

Red Bull just released this video... when he steps outside the capsule, it sure puts into perspective how high that is... and he's still planning on going HIGHER YET.

It also puts in perspective that the only people doing nifty stuff anymore, work for a soft drink company. :mad2:

Last edited:
How'd they bring the capsule back down safely? Jettison the balloon, then open a parachute at a lower elevation?

How'd they bring the capsule back down safely? Jettison the balloon, then open a parachute at a lower elevation?

Yes, and there's some kind of replaceable impact-absorbing material on its underside, so the capsule can be reused.

Not enough extra from decades ago, meh. I want to see him jump from the ISS.

Back