Icy Runway - what do you do?

MSmith

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Mark Smith
The situation (based on a real-life accident):

You have just landed on a runway. Earlier in the day pilots were reporting poor braking conditions, but you did fine then and this landing was OK.

You take the runway and apply full power. At this point you discover that the snow melt from earlier has re-frozen and you are on a mile-long skating rink, headed for the side of the runway.

What do you do?

rudder should be effective as long as you have enough airflow. i would use opposite rudder to try and remain on the runway. The obvious instinct would be to try and pull up to get airborne before going off the side. depending on airspeed, that could be a bad thing.

MSmith said:
What do you do?
"Fly" the plane. Actually this happened to me last year during my primary training w/ my instructor sitting next to me. I got good compliments for keeping my cool.

I am glad that I first experienced this with an instructor.

MSmith said:

You have just landed on a runway. Earlier in the day pilots were reporting poor braking conditions, but you did fine then and this landing was OK.

You take the runway and apply full power. At this point you discover that the snow melt from earlier has re-frozen and you are on a mile-long skating rink, headed for the side of the runway.

What do you do?
Seems to me that this is another one of those things that is situationally dependent. If I was real slow (which your description seems to make it seem), I'd probably chop the power and just let it happen on the theory that anything else might increase groundspeed possibly making the situation worse. On the other hand, if it happened at a much higher groundspeed, if I could maintain some control with rudder, I'd probably continue the takeoff and then go land someplace else.

I KNEW there was a reason why I like helicopters better :yes:

Last edited:
MSmith said:
What do you do?
Based on a real incident that just happened to me two weeks ago (on landing, not on takeoff, so YMMV): Yoke/stick forward to increase weight (traction) on the front wheel. Having thought about this for a while now, this advice is aircraft dependent, because it wouldn't help if you had a plane with a fully castering nosewheel.

-Skip

I operate out of snowed / iced over runways pretty regularly.

Takeoff is never really an issue. Wheels on a light airplane do not do much. You need to do several things though. First off you need to eliminate side drift. Wind can easily start to push you sideways on the ice. Always go full aileron into the wind. Next up your directional control is going to be from your rudder you can try to use the brakes too but generally it's pretty much pointless and makes the situation worse. Thrust is going to also be very important. If you find yourself sliding off the runway at a low speed to the right I would apply full thrust followed by left rudder and right aileron.

Prevention of loss of control is going to be important. If there is a chance of the runway being slippery. Consider it glare ice. Take the runway very smoothly. Full Aileron into the wind. Soft field technique. Add power smoothly and do not allow the wind to drift you at all. There is no reason you should leave the centerline. I really wouldn't try to increase the weight on the wheels. I would try to decrease the weight and then depend on your flight controls for control.

All my takeoffs on slippery runways are also soft field. The idea is to quit depending on your wheels for control and get into the air as quickly as possible. Then accelerate in ground effect followed by your climb.

Landing is where things can get tricky. First off you CANNOT land with side drift. The landing needs to be absolutely perfect and at a slow airspeed. If you do land with sidedrift you will loose control. If there is loose snow on the runway expect to be blinded at touchdown. You need to be very aware of your position on the runway. Keep your FEET alive. Pretend your airplane is a taildragger (do not hit your tail on the ground though, that is rather bothersome)

Remember that you are going to be flying the airplane, not driving it. So do that. Make *sure* to get that aileron into the wind! Never give up. Keep on flying. This is an airplane, not a car, FLY IT!

I'm no CFI. These words are based on my experiances. You can either apply them towards your flying, or you can simply ignore them. That is your call.

Last edited:
Well mark, haven't had that problem but, took my plane in for annual and it snowed then froze before i got it done, now there is a ice cap on top and i cant get enough airspeed braking through the ice to get out,guess i'll just have to wait it out . BTW it's a Grass strip so cant plow it.
Dave G.

jangell said:
First off you CANNOT land with side drift. The landing needs to be absolutely perfect and at a slow airspeed. If you do land with sidedrift you will loose control.

While I wouldn't promote this as proper technique, you can land with considerable drift on a slippery runway without ill effect as long as the runway is consistently slippery. There have been cases where a pilot landed in a significant crosswind on a completely iced over runway and slowly weathervaned into the wind as he came to a stop, sliding ever more sideways all the way down the runway. Not for the nervous flyer though. OTOH if you are sliding "gracefully" sideways and come to some dry pavement you're probably in big trouble.

MSmith said:

What do you do?

Assuming torque not wind is the issue, decrease power on the right engine slightly until gaining enough speed that the rudder will hold against the torque. If the problem was crosswind, then I'd reduce power on the leeward side.

Last edited:
lancefisher said:
While I wouldn't promote this as proper technique, you can land with considerable drift on a slippery runway without ill effect as long as the runway is consistently slippery. There have been cases where a pilot landed in a significant crosswind on a completely iced over runway and slowly weathervaned into the wind as he came to a stop, sliding ever more sideways all the way down the runway. Not for the nervous flyer though. OTOH if you are sliding "gracefully" sideways and come to some dry pavement you're probably in big trouble.
Ahh... That would be fun.. With my luck I'd hit dry pavement for sure followed by a groundloop and propstrike.

But yeah. That is a good example of what I was saying.. It's all about flying the airplane and utilizing your flight controls and thrust. You can't count on getting traction.

Move south before it happens.

The best advice I have heard all winter.

On a similar note, a pilot was landing a 414 in KLWS while I was there. (Runway had patchy ice) He gets spooked on the ice and locks up the brakes. (The worst thing he could have done) Goes over a dry pavement area and flattens one of the near new main tires.

Learn from others mistakes...

lancefisher said:
Assuming torque not wind is the issue, decrease power on the right engine slightly until gaining enough speed that the rudder will hold against the torque. If the problem was crosswind, then I'd reduce power on the leeward side.

LOL, Lance. I think he had more in mind a single, not a twin.

"you really haven't lived til you have flown at least 5 canadian winters!" (a slightly bastardized quote, the original from my auto ed instructor)

there is no experience like suddenly sliding sideways while rapidly drifting to the downwind edge of a black-ice runway --- wheee! Here comes the snowbank!

Or sliding sideways (on the ice) then, screech - jerked straight (dry pavement), sideways, screech, sideways, screech..... as you pass from blackice to blacktop and back a couple times. :0

like what was said, just keep flying the plane, if it takes more rudder put it in, but keep in mind that if you find a dry spot your going for a ride, after that its not a bad idea to do a soft field, get it offf the runway and build some speed, then go on your merry way. On landing, use aerodymamic breaking to slow you, and keep flying the plane.

It wasn't me, by the way.

In the real accident, the pilot chose to kill power (he wasn't all that fast yet). He slid off the runway, tipped over onto the left wing (doing significant damage from tip to the beginning of the fuel tank) and then rocked back upright. No pilot damage, significant plane damage (to a 1-year-old C172 with glass panel) and the airport was closed for 2 hours.

MSmith said:
It wasn't me, by the way.

In the real accident, the pilot chose to kill power (he wasn't all that fast yet). He slid off the runway, tipped over onto the left wing (doing significant damage from tip to the beginning of the fuel tank) and then rocked back upright. No pilot damage, significant plane damage (to a 1-year-old C172 with glass panel) and the airport was closed for 2 hours.

An unfortunate and sad end to a situation that could have been corrected and been a non-issue.

This is a fine example of making a choice in aviation. Your choice can either end in destruction or not even have been noticed by anyone other then the pilot in command.

I'm not passing judgement on anyone, But we must look at these kind of things and understand what would have prevented it. In an accident in aviation SOMEONE screwed up. It's never not someone's fault.

Fly safe guys....and girls :)

lancefisher said:

Interesting. Being a single-engine pilot, I didn't even think in terms of multi-engine.

Let's see...loss of directional control on takeoff? I'll close throttle and try to keep the plane somewhere on the runway and out of the snowbank. Failing that, I'll take the snowbank at low speed versus out of control at high power/high speed anyday. Another case of bad aeronautical decision making or poor technique?

jangell said:
An unfortunate and sad end to a situation that could have been corrected and been a non-issue.
you make it sound so 'matter-of-fact'

i may not have taken off in ice, but i've driven on it enough to know that there are too many variables at play to make a statement like this.

the airplanes i fly don't accellerate and generate lift faster than it would take to get sideways on a sheet of ice.

mmilano said:
you make it sound so 'matter-of-fact'

i may not have taken off in ice, but i've driven on it enough to know that there are too many variables at play to make a statement like this.

the airplanes i fly don't accellerate and generate lift faster than it would take to get sideways on a sheet of ice.
It takes a force to cause you to be "sideways" on ice. You do not just go sideways for no reason. There is a force that is causing this. You can control and prevent this force. I couldn't really tell you in this situation what that force was because I was not there at the time.

If it was a crosswind that caused the force it could be prevented with sufficent aileron into the wind. This pilot did several takeoffs and landings this day and obviously the wind was not above the crosswind limit of the airplane.

I have something for you to try, If you do not think you have control with your flight controls at VERY low airspeeds. You fly a 150 or a 172? I beleive it was one of the two. You'll be able to notice this with either one.

Start taxing at a normal speed and then cut power. Lift your feet off of the rudder pedals or don't give them any pressure. Apply FULL LEFT AILERON (move your yoke/stick to the left) What happens? Your airplane is going to start turning to the right. The reason for this is when you apply left aileron your RIGHT aileron is down, this causes increased drag on the right side. This drag will turn your airplane to the right. A very useful thing on a windy day in a taildragger with brakes that get hot and become worthless rapidly.

Next up at get yourself into a decent taxi speed and pull the yoke to your chest? What happens? If this was a C150 you probably just smacked the tail agaisnt the ground. So don't let it go that far, it doesn't sound very pretty. If it was a C172 I bet you just felt the airplane tilt backwards QUITE a bit.

Now another thing you must remember is if you increase thrust you are providing airflow over your rudder. You rudder is a pretty big object you can stick into this airflow. Beleive me, If you jump on the throttle your rudder will be effective.

Basically what I'm telling you here is there was a lack of flight controls used to attempt to recover control. The pilot cut the power, which reduced the airflow over the rudder, he then attempted to stop it using brakes. This is a pretty huge mistake because of the small tires on a C172 and the lack of traction. He didn't use the airplanes OTHER way to control itself which is not effected by the ice. It's called the air.

In aviation if there is an accident. Someone screwed up. It's just the way it is.
Am I saying I'm perfect? Nope. I've screwed up before too. ^$@# happens.

Last edited:
Jesse is 20 years old, has been flying for a bit over a year, and has 115 hours. Granted he lives in the snowbelt. This statement is made to provide some perspective.

Sorry Jesse. I felt full disclosure was in order here.

jangell said:
It takes a force to cause you to be "sideways" on ice. You do not just go sideways for no reason.

Well, duh.

You can control and prevent this force.

You can maybe control it. Depending on what it is. Like a crosswind. You can control it to the limits of what the airplane is capable of doing. Prevent the force?? LOL. Give me a break.

I couldn't really tell you in this situation what that force was because I was not there at the time.

But that is not going to prevent you from telling us what that particular pilot should have done.

If it was a crosswind that caused the force it could be prevented with sufficent aileron into the wind.

To the extent that the controls are able to compensate. Two things to mention here. If you aren't going very fast, the flight controls are virtually ineffective. The other is if the crosswind is very strong, no amount of control deflection is going to help. Yes, there is a band in there where you might get help from the flight controls, but if you are counting on it, it may or may not work.

This pilot did several takeoffs and landings this day and obviously the wind was not above the crosswind limit of the airplane.

Well, keep in mind that the maximum crosswind an airplane can handle is usually figured when the airplane is in flight. And is usually figured with an airspeed in the range of 45 to 65 knots, depending on the airplane. C-150 or 172 in this case. Normally, on the ground, you have the nosewheel to provide traction with the runway, so maximum crosswind can be higher when on the ground. But in the case of a sheet of ice, all bets are off. No data. Does not take much wind to cause huge problems.

Start taxing at a normal speed and then cut power. Lift your feet off of the rudder pedals or don't give them any pressure. Apply FULL LEFT AILERON (move your yoke/stick to the left) What happens? Your airplane is going to start turning to the right. The reason for this is when you apply left aileron your RIGHT aileron is down, this causes increased drag on the right side. This drag will turn your airplane to the right. A very useful thing on a windy day in a taildragger with brakes that get hot and become worthless rapidly.

What you are describing is Induced Drag. That drag that is produced as a result of lift. If I remember right, if speed doubles, induced drag increases by a factor of 4. I will grant you that in certian cases, it may be of help. But let me mention this. In the case of a crosswind, are you not supposed to be holding aileron full into the wind anyway? If you are doing a proper crosswind takeoff, since the ailerons are already full into the wind, they won't be of any more help if you start to slide.

Next up at get yourself into a decent taxi speed and pull the yoke to your chest? What happens? If this was a C150 you probably just smacked the tail agaisnt the ground.

If so, you are taxiing way too fast. Besides, how is that going to help you if you start to drift?

If it was a C172 I bet you just felt the airplane tilt backwards QUITE a bit.

You contend that a 172 does not have the elevator force necessary to smack the ground like the 150. You said so in another post. You are probably correct when you are solo or with one other passenger. But load it to gross with pax and baggage, and the 172 is fully capable of doing what you say it can't.

Basically what I'm telling you here is there was a lack of flight controls used to attempt to recover control.

Remember what I said above? You weren't there. You do not KNOW that.

Scenario. You taxi into position on the icy runway. There is a crosswind. You apply the proper crosswind corrections, apply full power and off you go. Shortly into the run, the wind is blowing you sideways on the ice. You already have full aileron deflection, so that isn't going to help. You already have full power, so THAT isn't going to help. You WILL have pretty good rudder authority, but when you correct back to centerline, that will just make the situation worse. As an average pilot, what would you do? You are about out of tricks.

The pilot cut the power, which reduced the airflow over the rudder, he then attempted to stop it using brakes. This is a pretty huge mistake because of the small tires on a C172 and the lack of traction. He didn't use the airplanes OTHER way to control itself which is not effected by the ice. It's called the air.

Again, Jesse, you dont know what he did. You weren't there. I am sure looking back this pilot isn't even sure WHAT he did. You are making some pretty brash statements considering your "vast" experience levels. Also, keep in mind some of these things happen pretty fast. Things can be all over in a blink of an eye.

In aviation if there is an accident. Someone screwed up. It's just the way it is.

Yes, it is. And my big beef with you, Jesse, is that you know exactly what he did, and know exactly what he should have done to prevent it. That is BS. Jesse, and frankly, I am getting pretty tired of it.

Am I saying I'm perfect? Nope. I've screwed up before too. ^$@# happens.

Jeez, Jesse, from the tone of your posts, I would have bet that you WERE perfect and had NEVER screwed up before.

Last edited:
Hi Jesse,
I like to read your posts. You remind me of my kid when he was your age and my students too. I have a few words for you. I'm a little older than you, 35 years older. I've been teaching for about 30 years. In your posts you sound a bit like some of my 4th year medical students, not right out of classroom instruction, but with just one year of clinical clerkships experience. You have no idea how many times I've had to stand for over 15 minutes while a 4th year medical student "teaches me" how to diagnose and treat a condition that he or she has probably seen once or twice and I have probably seen hundreds of time if not a thousand times. Nevertheless, I have learn to deal with it.

You Jesse are going to be a good pilot but only if you listen more than what you speak. Flying is like medicine, a lot of science, facts, regulations, etc. But in the end, a good doctor, practices the art of medicine and a good pilot practices the art of flying. And like any art, you learn it by observing your elders and using your intrinsic good judgement deciding who you emmulate and who you don't.

Greg and I and others in this forum have been flying for many many many years, I for one have been flying since I was 15 yrs, got my first ticket when I was 18 yr. and 2 months, exactly. Boy was I arrogant when I had 100 hrs and did I argue with the old farts in the airport. Now that I have a few more under my belt, I am a lot more humble and take the time to listen to others including yourself. You have good things to say but need to listen and respect the gray hairs.

Last edited:
I didn't want this post to get lost in the noise of another post, so here it is.

In my personal life, there is NO reason why I have to be anywhere at any given time. If it isn't fun, I don't fly. If I am not comfortable, I don't fly. My airplane does not have a heater. So when it gets cold, I don't fly. An icy runway fits into the catagory of being cold, and no fun. So I choose not to fly. It also is a risk management thing. It also means that I don't have all THAT much experience dealing with ice.

All that just to say what anyone would or would not have done in a particular situation is based SOLELY on their experience level and comfort level. We can sit here all day hangar talking this to death. But when the excrement hits the ventilation device, you have to go with training and experience level. I am sure there may be some wrong answers, but I am also sure there aren't any "right" answers.

By the way, in my professional life, I don't have many choices. When the braking actions are NIL, we cannot operate. It is a safety thing. Wouldn't we all be better served safety wise if we adopted our own personal limitations that at least partially mimicked what the "Professionals" do?

Greg Bockelman said:
You contend that a 172 does not have the elevator force necessary to smack the ground like the 150. You said so in another post. You are probably correct when you are solo or with one other passenger. But load it to gross with pax and baggage, and the 172 is fully capable of doing what you say it can't.

Let's put the mis-statement about 172s to bed right now. I'm no 1000 hour pilot myself, but I have been in 172s on two occasions where the tail has scraped the ground, hard enough to leave some lovely marks on the tail tie down. I know that one of those same 172s had a tail tie down REMOVED at some point during a landing (not one I was on board for so can't say how exactly). But I can guess.

One of those scrapes that I was in was me and a CFI, no backseat passengers, no where near max gross, and CFI was demonstrating why I was too nose low on landing. He certainly showed me how to get it nose high alright. We were on the runway and had slowed a fair amount, so we were not at landing speed. It still dragged on the ground quite nicely, thanks very much, and made a h--l of a noise doing it.

Greg, you are on the right track. Jessie, you are not correct on this point. A 172 has enough rudder effectiveness to make a tail drag on the ground. Period.

Jim G

Greg, you are on the right track. Jessie, you are not correct on this point. A 172 has enough rudder effectiveness to make a tail drag on the ground. Period.

Jim G

I think you meant Elevator, but we knew what you meant. :yes:

A 172 has enough rudder effectiveness to make a tail drag on the ground.
I believe you mean elevator effectiveness?

jangell said:
It takes a force to cause you to be "sideways" on ice. You do not just go sideways for no reason. There is a force that is causing this. You can control and prevent this force.
at slow speeds, i was thinking about the force of gravity primarily. any crosswind correction isn't going to do any good at slow speeds on ice since it will just transfer to your tires which will just slide. i'm a pretty low time pilot, but i'm sure there are many other variables i'm not considering.

Just in case hitting something at slow speed is inevitable, remember that turning the key off will stop the prop quicker than pulling the mixture.

Hmmm.

This thread asked for an opinion on something along with what they would do. I simply stated my opinion nothing more, nothing less.

I'm not trying to "teach" anything to anyone here. I'm not here to teach. I'm here to learn. The entire reason I spend about every waken moment on forums like this and others is to learn, well that and I can't afford to fly the whole time.

jangell said:
This thread asked for an opinion on something along with what they would do. I simply stated my opinion nothing more, nothing less.

I'm not trying to "teach" anything to anyone here. I'm not here to teach. I'm here to learn. The entire reason I spend about every waken moment on forums like this and others is to learn, well that and I can't afford to fly the whole time.

Re read your posts.

Have a Merry Christmas, Jesse.:yes: :yes:

Last edited:
Greg Bockelman said:
Re read your posts.

Have a Merry Christmas, Jesse.:yes: :yes:

Reread my posts.

Merry Christmas? Riight.
I'm stuck in Iowa at some girl's house who I'm pretty sure hates me. I've spent the last two days basically hanging out and talking with her dad since she obviously doesn't want anything to do with me.

Oh yeah, And my family is ****ed and thinks I'm lieing to them about why I can't make it back for Christmas.

I hate weather. It's so slow in the winter. The summer is much nicer systems blow through real quick.

Hopefully I can fly back tomorrow; If I can't I'm going to Grey Hound it to Rochester and go to work, then I'll have to figure out some way to get back to Des Moines to bring the airplane back.

jangell said:
Reread my posts.

Merry Christmas? Riight.
I'm stuck in Iowa at some girl's house who I'm pretty sure hates me.

LOL. Ain't love grand? I hope you make it home. Tomorrow is supposed to be good here in NE KS.

grattonja said:

Jim G

I never said it was difficult I said it was much HARDER to do. It's *very* easy to smack it in a 150 whereas in a c172 you would REALLY have to work at it. Maybe if you came in slightly fast and jerked the yoke to your chest it'll happen.

In my experiances though with the approach speed I use. usually around 55 knots over the fence and slowing up even more as I come down when I go to flare there is no way you could do it. There just isnt' enough elevator authority left. I didn't say it WASN'T possible. I said you'd really have to put some effort into it.

Why is everyone so into trying to "prove" people wrong? We are here to discuss things not sit here and prove everyone wrong. Make suggestions, say your honest opinion, but no one is WRONG in aviation.

Greg Bockelman said:
LOL. Ain't love grand? I hope you make it home. Tomorrow is supposed to be good here in NE KS.
ha.

thanks

:)

Last edited:
MSmith said:

What do you do?

Depends, what do I have available and why am I not heading straight down the runway? Too many variables for a stock answer. If it's torque sending me off to the side, my answer will be different than if it's a crosswind shoving me over.

The short answer to "What do you do?" is "Whatever it takes."

Henning said:
Depends, what do I have available and why am I not heading straight down the runway? Too many variables for a stock answer. If it's torque sending me off to the side, my answer will be different than if it's a crosswind shoving me over.

The short answer to "What do you do?" is "Whatever it takes."
Damn straight, those are words to live by. Ever since my PPL CFI knocked those words into my head they have been my motto in flying.

What do I do? Pray that I enter some space time dimesional warp upon hitting the ice that allows me to turn 18 and immediately know everything. :D

N2212R said:
What do I do? Pray that I enter some space time dimesional warp upon hitting the ice that allows me to turn 18 and immediately know everything. :D
Along with having your log book immediately start deleting hours until it gets back down to around several hundred. . .

I've had to deal with ice and snow laden runways a few times over the years, and no matter which way you look at it or approach it, it ain't fun and it ain't safe.

The bit about "wheels don't really do anything on a light aircraft" kinda amused me. Wheels do EVERYTHING until those big metal things start generating some lift.

Some of the best--albeit, inadvertent--training I ever got for handling ice and snow was when I got my seaplane rating. . . and which is why I can strongly sympathize with the poor pilot whose 172 went off the side of the runway.

Pretty easy to sit back and armchair quarterback other pilot's misfortunes after having had plenty of time to digest the situation and think about it.

I lost a longtime friend this afternoon when his Stearman nosed in. This guy was ex-military and a retired airline captain and I'd flown with him in that Stearman more than once. He died on impact and his brother was in the other seat and got airlifted to the nearest hospital--and as of now, it's not looking too good.

I'm sure there will be many young, newly minted lowtime online experts that could analyze what happened and point out endless flaws with this guy's flying on this particular day.

And all it would show is that even after 27,000-plus hours and over 40 years of professional flying, there will STILL be things happen to you that are just flat beyond your control.

-JD

CowboyPilot said:
I lost a longtime friend this afternoon when his Stearman nosed in. This guy was ex-military and a retired airline captain and I'd flown with him in that Stearman more than once. He died on impact and his brother was in the other seat and got airlifted to the nearest hospital--and as of now, it's not looking too good.

JD, if this is the situation I think it is, this happened just 15 minutes from my house near an airfield I've flown out of a lot (Hicks, just north of Fort Worth Meacham).

I heard the story on the radio driving into work this morning, and saw the pictures on www.nbc5i.com.

Sorry to hear of your loss, I hope his brother makes it.

Back