Icon Ramps Up Production

The bizarre purchase contract doesn't seem to keep people from throwing money their way.

1300 planes on back-order; didn't realize they had so many purchased.

How many aircraft has Icon delivered to actual customers? My sense is they have quite a few in the "factory" fleet, but there aren't many in customer hands.

Personally I think the Petrel is a better option if you want an LSA amphib.

https://www.superpetrelusa.com/

Half the cost and better performance. What’s not to like?

I prefer the looks of the Icon over the Petrel. Icon has also developed a reputation of the “Tesla of Amphibs.” It’s more of a status symbol and more well known that the Petrel. Whether or not that’s worth another $200K is debatable.

Among those who pay attention, the Icon has also developed something of a reputation for killing people.

Among those who pay attention, the Icon has also developed something of a reputation for killing people.

The ones I remember were pilot error. Has the airplane been at fault in one <yet>?

The ones I remember were pilot error. Has the airplane been at fault in one <yet>?
IIRC a not so recent thread here came to a concensus that the way the airplane was/is marketed has caused some if not all... ie; fly it low, fast, and stupid to get your adrenaline rush...

Fair enough. But when the accidents involve company employees and major league baseball stars, the thing that sticks in people's minds is "fatal accident", not "pilot error".

An A5 flew over my house last week. Two things seemed odd.

1. Quite loud (I guess that’s the rotax)

2. It was not ADS-B equipped. For $250k, and the 2020 deadline upcoming, WTH is that!!?

How many aircraft has Icon delivered to actual customers? My sense is they have quite a few in the "factory" fleet, but there aren't many in customer hands.
The FAA Registration Database at the end of 2018 had 81 Icons listed. 43 were still listed as being registered to Icon. Another ten were listed as "Sale Reported" or "Registration Pending". So ~30 are known to be in customer hands, with another ten in transition.

Ron Wanttaja

Personally I think the Petrel is a better option if you want an LSA amphib.

https://www.superpetrelusa.com/

WTF does this even mean?! Cruise speed of a regular upper wing? Flight quality of low wing? Does whoever wrote that know anything about aircraft?

“What is The Super Petrel LS?
The Super Petrel LS is an amphibious biplane with flight qualities of a low wing, cruise speed of a regular upper wing, easy and safe flying.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IIRC a not so recent thread here came to a concensus that the way the airplane was/is marketed has caused some if not all... ie; fly it low, fast, and stupid to get your adrenaline rush...

I agree with the inherent risk in marketing the airplane that way. But the airplane isn't to blame, IMO. Just the marketers and the folks who unwisely followed the dangerous path laid out before them.

The Super Petrel LS is an amphibious biplane with flight qualities of a low wing, cruise speed of a regular upper wing, easy and safe flying.”

I saw that too. It makes less than no sense...

WTF does this even mean?! Cruise speed of a regular upper wing? Flight quality of low wing? Does whoever wrote that know anything about aircraft?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
All the benefits of one wing and the downsides of two.

Fair enough. But when the accidents involve company employees and major league baseball stars, the thing that sticks in people's minds is "fatal accident", not "pilot error".
Cory Liddle comes to mind.

If I were to go amphib LSA it would absolutely not be Icon. More likely Sea Ray. And if I was ever really serious about amphib I'd go Lake.

But planes don't kill people. People die in planes.

Back