Icon A5.. another crash Jul 27

In addition, one can probably take exception with ANY small piston plane advertisement in the past, well, forever.
Not *every* one, surely.... :)
pontiac.jpg

Ron Wanttaja

That's the formula. Now answer the question. It will contain the either the word knots or mph
Why are you looking at your ASI while in a 45* bank to determine how close you are to a stall? Can't you feel it? And did you remember to calculate stall speed for your actual gross weight?

Square root of the load factor at 45° (1.41) times the stall speed.
Surprisingly, that is incorrect. The actual stall speed is at the intersection of the wing's Cl plot and the AoA required to support 1.41 of the the load, and it depends on the airfoil. It used to be published for common GA airplanes, although not anymore. That data is quite useful for flying overloaded, because it gives you the stall speed with ferry tanks.

Why are you looking at your ASI while in a 45* bank to determine how close you are to a stall? Can't you feel it? And did you remember to calculate stall speed for your actual gross weight?

That’s the point. This started with comparing AOA indicators to Airspeed and what seemed like AOA indicators getting the ol’ AOA is for wussies rap

In addition, one can probably take exception with ANY small piston plane advertisement in the past, well, forever. I haven't checked, but i suspect you will be hard pressed to find a manufacturer explaining in their ads how people should really think twice before taking their friends and family on a trip in a small plane vs a much safer car or an airliner. All they seem to want to do is describe how much freedom you have with your new toy and how safe it is because it has this and that gadget.
Surely you know there's a difference in showing low-altitude likely illegal flying (that whole 500 ft rule thing, 91.13, etc) and trying to sell that to novice/new/non pilots, verse your typical shots of planes over fancy backdrops and happy people, verse telling people not to buy their product because it likely isn't safe

..and don't call me Shirley

Surely you know there's a difference in showing low-altitude likely illegal flying (that whole 500 ft rule thing, 91.13, etc) and trying to sell that to novice/new/non pilots, verse your typical shots of planes over fancy backdrops and happy people, verse telling people not to buy their product because it likely isn't safe

..and don't call me Shirley

It’s not really that different. They are emphasizing ability and downplaying danger. Obviously it’s a big distinction for you, but not everyone is like you

I know nothing about amphib operations, but I suspect there are a few legitimate low altitude scenarios out there.

Again, this is no different than any other sport vehicle showing off its questionably legal abilities. See my videos in earlier posts.

I know nothing about amphib operations, but I suspect there are a few legitimate low altitude scenarios out there.
For sure. I just don't see Searey and the others pushing the same type of lifestyle. But it's a free world so they can push whatever they want.. it will be interesting to see how these evolve as they mature and become available on the used market

For sure. I just don't see Searey and the others pushing the same type of lifestyle. But it's a free world so they can push whatever they want.. it will be interesting to see how these evolve as they mature and become available on the used market

Technically I don’t see Searay pushing anything.

But they don’t have millions in duped investor dollars to make marketing videos either, I suppose.

What I am referring to is inertia (V=M*A). If you fly a square pattern and crab on your cross wind you have no velocity in the direction of the wind. If you then turn downwind, you need to accelerate the plane in the direction of the wind. Until your plane has reached wind speed plus relative speed in that direction, you have less lift.

Nope.

Martin Renschler said:
What I am referring to is inertia (V=M*A). If you fly a square pattern and crab on your cross wind you have no velocity in the direction of the wind. If you then turn downwind, you need to accelerate the plane in the direction of the wind. Until your plane has reached wind speed plus relative speed in that direction, you have less lift

And that’s not the formula for momentum either : momentum = mass*velocity

I think the less that Martin Renschler's gibberish is quoted and repeated the better, even if to dispute it. Let's just let it go already.

Back