Icom A6/A24 Cloning Software

jnmeade

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Jim Meade
I'm looking for any experience from those who have used the Icom cloning software to manage the frequencies on an Icom A6 or A24. Did it work out, any problems?
It's pretty pricey but entering a lot of frequencies is more than I want to do, and I plan to put in 3 or 4 dozen.
I've used clone software on Yaesu amateur radio frequency management but not on Icon.
TIA

I found a copy of CS-A24 version1 floating around on the interwebs but haven't tried it against my A24 radio. I read one forum that said newer versions of the handheld needed version 2 of the software...
I'd like to enter a lot of freqs with labels too, not so fun doing it by hand.

My interpretation was the A6E and A24E, sold in/used in Europe, had 8.3 khz spacing and that model required the new software, but the models sold in the U.S. were still version 1. But, I stand to be corrected on that if someone has definite knowledge.
There is a Russian hack of the software which I've not tried to open on my computer. Call me paranoid.
Between the cable and the software, Icom wants $80-$90 bucks to do the PC memory management. That's a lot of money. I can do it on my amateur radio legitimately for $25.

I think the info I found about needing the v2 of the software was on a European aviation site so you may very well be correct about US models being ok with v2 of the programming software.

I found most of my info from this page.
http://mw0gkx.co.uk/radprog/icomprog/ic-a.htm

I opened/installed the software found from a link on the above page and Win8/my virus scan didn't throw any alerts. It *looks* legit to me but try it at your own risk.

I started looking at building a cable since I don't have one but I found one already made for $13 shipped so I'll test out the V1 software when I get the cable and report back.
Unfortunately the cables for my Pro-95 or Baofeng radios won't work.

Jim,
I ordered the below programming cable from Amazon and successfully programmed my IC-A24 with the software I mentioned in my previous post.
Sure was nice to enter all the Airventure freqs on the computer and send them to the radio. And now I have a backup file in case I ever need to reprogram.
I noticed a nice feature that allows you to inhibit TX on certain channels. That ought to be nice on some of the Airboss frequencies so I don't accidentally TX while listening in during the airshow.

Programming Cable: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0092D3E8Q/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

PS. The programming software is intuitive and easy to use. The Help file for the programming software is pretty good. The hardest part is figuring out how to use all the functionality of the radio. I think I'm finally figuring it out!

Last edited:
As there were no disclaimers in any of the advertisements, I ordered and tried the Icom Cloning Software and cables as described in Icom's Manual for the Icom IC-A24/6. All the packaging material looked exactly like Icom fonts and styles that I am familiar with from anionics and amateur radio. The cable worked fine but the cloning software would not work, so I called the retailer who referred me to the wholesaler who referred me to Icom America where I talked to two different men in the Tech Support division a week or so apart in time.
My radio starts with S/N 21XXXX and is the older model with 25 kHz channel spacing. Memory can be cloned from another identical radio with a special chord (discussed above) or from a PC using Icom CS-A24 Version 1.0.
Newer radios start wtih S/N 30XXXX and have configurable 8.33 or 25 kHz channel spacing. Cloning is done via from an identical radio or from a PC using CS-A24 8.33 Revision 1.0.
The wholesaler says there is only one part number listed for the cloning software and it gets you the 8.33 version. The Icom America people say that cloning is illegal and for the end user to have the software is illegal. I think this statement is bizarre. Many of my amateur radio friends have cloning software for their radios. The instructions for how to clone from radio to radio or via a PC are in the Icom manual. Icom America claims the reason for this is because that manual is published in Japan for worldwide distribution and in some countries it is legal to clone.
All the cloning software does is automate an existing manual memory entry system. It does not change band plans, open the radio up or in any way alter the radio from the FCC type approved model. Icom America says that the wholesaler can obtain the older version in zip form by specifying the version number in the order process, but the wholesaler may not legally sell me the software.
Based upon my inability to obtain the older software version, I returned the new version. I will investigate other options for cloning software. I'll leave it to you to guess whether I will factor this support experience from Icom America into any further amateur or aviation radio purchases I make.
If anyone comes up with further information, I'd be glad to hear it.

Ok, so while I am fairly new to being a pilot, I am not new to radios. I have been a licensed amateur radio operator for almost ten years and have a good bit of experience with cloning software, although I generally prefer to program the radio manually just because you wont always have the cloning cables and computer with you.

First off, there is NOTHING illegal about using cloning cables with your radio, but to be more specific, you are not cloning, you are programming. You are only cloning if you copy from another radio.

Second, there are many different programming softwares out there that will work, most of the time better than the icom version. I am a fan of icom radios but they are inherently difficult to program, whereas the Yaesu radios are VERY user friendly and durable.

Look on the internet for third party programming software for your radio. What you will undoubtedly find is a version that works for your radio and many other makes and models..these are great. I use the VX-8 commander software for example and can program multiple different radios with it (i'll look and see if it will support the icom aviation radios and let you know).

As far as your experience with Icom...typical. If you want a radio that will not require tech support from the manufacturer or at least assistance from experienced user, get a Yaesu, they are very reliable, durable, very good quality radios and normally have all of the same features as icom except for D-star which you wont need for aviation anyways.

Let me know if I can help you out further. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good advice from BABOSS. my phone didnt load all of the other replies and I did not see them but yes you can order things like that from Amazon and you can normally download the software for free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like whoever you talked to at Icom is behind the power curve and they've given policy out to tell folks they can't clone radios.

This is driven by folks cloning Public Safety radios, and causing trouble. Not aviation or any other service. (Technically cloning Public Safety radios isn't against any laws either.)

Icom America has very few staff and they've had a massive exodus over the last few years. They missed the boat completely on APCO P-25 conversions in Public Safety, and when they did jump in, they produced radios with significant problems. They started losing long-time sales staff and clueful staff.

Their stuff in analog was rock solid. They had a good reputation and decent but not the best pricing. They ****ed it away.

Once Baofeng and Wouxun get into AM Aircraft, the current pricing and market are dead. Way dead. They're absolutely clobbering Yaesu, Icom, and Kenwood in analog FM.

Probably, just worth noting that the Chinese clones are starting, which would indicate that more are soon to follow.

Funny thing: search for air band transceivers on alibaba, and all kinds of results come up with "Air Band" and the frequency range of air band ops in the description, but none of them actually are. they just... aren't.

Some contend to receive air band, if you drill down enough.

I sent an inquiry to one of them (description was very explicit http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/high-quality-portable-radio-digital-air_1893740401.html ), and she replied that it was not an air band transceiver, even though the description was "air band transceiver," but that their air band transceiver model was the IC-A24 which she'd be glad to sell me for $239.00 + shipping. She did not bother to include the brand, but we all know that the IC-A24 is an iCom, and i can buy it for that price here, can't I?

So I don't see any of the mainland Chinese making or selling air band transceivers - yet. The Rexon is from Taiwan, IIRC (might even be Japan).

Back