ICOM A-21 Transceiver

saabpilot

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Brian
This was my father's and I am trying to help him out since he isn't really up on all the forums. He has an ICOM IC-A21 handheld VHF Air Band Transceiver (Comm and Nav) for sale. Included will be the wall charger, car/aircraft 12V charger, Emergency antennae connection. The battery was just recently replaced. The item is in excellent condition.

He also have a pair of lightspeed 30-3G headsets barely used that he no longer have a use for. The airplane was sold so now it is time for these to go as well. They will come with the storage bag, audio and cell phone cables.

Looking for $150 for the ICOM, and $275 for the Headsets (trade in value towards a ZULU 2 is $400)

I have pics I can send to you and as soon as I get them up on photobucket I will add them here as well.

IMG_0210.jpg

Jerry gets it first but PM me if it is still available. Still having radio troubles (very minor) in my rental plane and at this point should probably have a backup.

Kimberly

Will send payment on pay day, Thursday. Two days from now. And I am totally going to try it out as soon as I go up in a plane again, especially the NAV (needle) thing.

I'm excited.

Kimberly

I have an ICOM with Nav, only tried to use the Nav version once in an airplane. The rubber ducky antenna inside a metal airplane does not receive the VOR signal very well.

I also had a complete electrical failure on short final. I landed and then used the handheld to get taxi clearance. It would be nice to have the headset adapter for that ICOM w/PTT.

I have used it with no problems in an arrow. I lost the 2nd radio and was able to pick up atis about 20 miles out so I am not sure why you had problems but thanks for your concern.

Last edited:
I have an ICOM with Nav, only tried to use the Nav version once in an airplane. The rubber ducky antenna inside a metal airplane does not receive the VOR signal very well.

I also had a complete electrical failure on short final. I landed and then used the handheld to get taxi clearance. It would be nice to have the headset adapter for that ICOM w/PTT.

You're scaring away the customers!

Just kidding.

I use my ICOM every weekend for radio operations in gliders with no battery or built in radio. I use my ICOM every weekend to monitor solo students and flight operations. All with the rubber ducky antenna.

I use my ICOM on soaring safaris with a magnet mount antenna tuned to the proper frequency length on the roof of my truck to monitor gliders at altitude over 50nm away.

Radio received. Can't wait to try it out. With all the Nor Call traffic maybe it will work outside my office or my apartment (not near an airport). Who knows, there are a lot of hills around here so maybe not.

Kimberly

Radio received. Can't wait to try it out. With all the Nor Call traffic maybe it will work outside my office or my apartment (not near an airport). Who knows, there are a lot of hills around here so maybe not.

Kimberly

KA-

I have only needed my handheld radio once in all my life, but it was golden that time. Plus, it's great to have at a fly in. You'll use it a lot at Gaston's! (Look out everyone, Spike's buzzing the runway again! Flee!)

Ahem, Counselor. We all know that you NEVER buzz the runway and you misspoke.

Those low-approaches were all landing attempts with last-minute go-arounds, and at no time did you ever decend within 500' of any bystanders near a runway without the full intention to land.

;)

(You took the pain killers, didn't you? LOL!)

Ummm...

...inSPECTing the runway.... Yeah, that's the ticket, inspecting the runway for...

...for animals, for obstacles. Sure, that's it!

Kimberly

I have this same model Icom. I bought it when I started flying 18 years ago. It still works great.

I've used it a few times with electrical, and Comm failures. Once right in the middle of NYC Class B. While it won't transmit far without an external (to the plane) antenna, I was able to relay info through an airliner neaby, and let ATC know what was happening. You also want to try to locate a headset adapter, specific to this model, as you won't be able to hear it with the plane noise.

I have this same model Icom. I bought it when I started flying 18 years ago. It still works great.

I've used it a few times with electrical, and Comm failures. Once right in the middle of NYC Class B. While it won't transmit far without an external (to the plane) antenna, I was able to relay info through an airliner neaby, and let ATC know what was happening. You also want to try to locate a headset adapter, specific to this model, as you won't be able to hear it with the plane noise.

Thank you. I will try to locate an adapter. Plus I will bring it with me anytime I go flying since it is fun to listen to the radios at airports. I think I might be flying in a taildragger as a passenger this weekend to a pancake breakfast / airport fly-in that celebrates old aircraft / showcases them. The pilot may also shoot some approaches to stay current (not sure) so if a VFR day this could be my first "safety pilot" experience.

Tried out the radio on the ground for the first time and it worked great. Interesting to see some "almost mishaps" form in the pattern and tough to keep my mouth shut but I did. At one point they looked like they were about to hit each other but it might have just been my angle. Thank goodness I had the radio and could hear they were actively looking for one another. I didn't try the NAV features but I did do a radio check and they could hear me up there.

Back