Icing in NE Arkansas

teethdoc

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
teethdoc
I'm looking to make a few trips up to NE Arkansas this winter. My schedule will be somewhat flexible (ie, choose a pretty weekend). My flying so far has been in the Deep South. Is icing going to be a pretty much normal occurrence, or only an occasional thing in that part of the country?

NE Arkansas if flatter than a pancake and normally has above freezing tempertures at the surface most of the winter.

If you can choose the days you go it should not be a problem. Stay out of visible moisture and you will not build ice - structural at least...

Hi TeethDoc. I fly all winter in NE Arkansas. As long as you have a flexible schedule, you should have no problems at all. Where are you going up here?

Stay out of the clouds when winter comes.

Hi TeethDoc. I fly all winter in NE Arkansas. As long as you have a flexible schedule, you should have no problems at all. Where are you going up here?

I have friends in Pochahontas I duck hunt with every year and instead of the 6h drive from Birmingham, I plan to take the mooney up there.

Arkansas is cut in diagonally in half from north-east to south-west. One side is flat, flat, flat. The other half has "rapidly rising terrain" which makes it an airplane catcher with a lot of FIT accidents.

Last edited:
Pocahontas is right on the diagonal line between the Ozarks and the Delta. Nice airport at Pocahontas and a really nice airport 11 miles south of there at Walnut Ridge. I am over there quite a bit.

As others have said, just stay out of the clouds and no problem. During duck season, though, watch out for the geese. There are thousands in the area. Best bet is to slow down if you are below 3,000 msl or so to give them time to get out of the way. I have heard leaving the landing light on also helps. Enjoy the duck hunting. We have some of the best in the world here.

Also, this part of the state doesn't have as much of a problem with rapidly rising terrain. It is more gradual. The southwest/central (west of Hot Springs) part has more of a problem with bluffs, etc. If the winds are up, though, it can get interesting :).

Last edited:
Back