Icing Go/No Go practice problem

Matthew,

As I discuss in my Skew-T CD, this is close to being a "cold" sounding where dew point depression doesn't work very well with respect to stratus cloud bases and tops. But it still gives you some hints as to what might be going on.
Scott,
I'm looking forward to reading your explanation of Skew-T log P diagrams in the upcoming IFR Magazine. At least I presume you wrote it; the email didn't say!
offered flight instructors a significant discount. In fact, there were a few workshops that I held right at a flight school. I offered their CFIs a chance to attend for free - my thanks for letting me use their facility. I've only had about 6 CFIs attend out of over 500 pilots I've taught throughout the country. I couldn't understand why. (BTW, I found it very hard to convince any flight schools to let me do my weather workshop at their facility -- they saw me as "competition.")
I'm going to try to get a good handle on them and then teach them at the FBO I fly out of. It's a shame you only recognize CFIs as special and not us lowly CGIs! :rolleyes::rofl: We just don't get no respect! :no:

Tony,

Just my personal opinion - perhaps an oversimplification of the original question (and not the answer you were looking for), but...

Unless you are a very experienced pilot in an ice-approved airplane, if you aren't pretty darn sure that you can get back in and don't have the time to sit it out at your initial destination, just don't go... seriously. It's not worth it.

Many times, this type of situation is what leads into degrading circumstances (weather and otherwise) ~ throw in a lost gyro or some other mechanical issue, and pretty soon all of your previous options have evaporated. It is one of the primary causes of accidents in the general aviation community.

Best of luck!

Unless you are a very experienced pilot in an ice-approved airplane, if you aren't pretty darn sure that you can get back in and don't have the time to sit it out at your initial destination, just don't go... seriously.

I wasnt looking for any specific answer. the question was purely academic, I wasn't actually going to be flying that day. And I agree wholeheartedly with the quote above. I was looking for the various opinions of the people on the board who have the experience that I havent gotten yet.

Grant,
The editor cut pieces here and there,

You can't trust that editor.....:)

I am looking forward to your article, You never know, maybe an old freight hound can learn a new trick.... I didn't have any trouble learning how to use XM WX!!! But then that's mostly pictures, there are lots of numbers in the Skew-T charts.....

Tailwinds
Doug Rozendaal

Back