Icebox vs B-Kool

JOhnH

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Right Seater
Which is best?
Is one better than the other? Is there a price differential that is proportionate?

Leslie and I went up today, and she finally said she wants one.

I can't offer a comparison, but I can say that I have a B-Kool and it works well. I get a solid 2 hours of cooling. Also, his customer service is A+. I'd buy again and have no reservation in recommending them.

Wrote this over a year ago, but it's still useful:

There are three primary units: Arctic Air, Icebox (phillip) and b-kool (bob stephens). Common features:
All three use an insulated cooler such as an igloo or similar.
* High output fan (cfm)
* Radiator or similar for heat transfer
* Water pump (small marine bilge pump) to move water around the system.
* All work on 12v or 28 v.

How they work - you can go to the icebox website for the details, but simple explanation: ice a water at the bottom of the cooler, pump pushes cold water thru the radiator, ambient air enters the cooler from vent A, then is then pushed from the cooler thru the radiator and the cooler air comes out vent B that can be directed. Water from the radiator returns to the bottom of the cooler and the pump cycles the water around. Repeat.

The size of the cooler and cfm (cubic feet/minute on the fan) determine pretty much everything. I'm sure a bunch of posters will chime in about the BTUs and such, but I'm not that interested about it, but you may find it interesting. Phillip (icebox) has all sorts of research, tests, graphs, etc. on his website. But what it really comes down to: The larger the cooler & the better insulated, the more room for ice & water (the coolant) means the longer you'll have cool air. There is really isn't any other magic or criteria.

Arctic Air has 3 different sizes (30, 38 & 52 qts). I forget the size of the Icebox (38-44 qts?), and I think the b-kool is 28-30 qts.

I've tried both icebox & b-kool and my primary consideration is size. Living out west and the type of flying I do means I'm not always near an urban area or airport. As such I carry a fair amount of emergency equipment. In the summer this includes either a 4 or 8 gallon water tank (also works as excellent ballast for CG) as well as the emergency bag, tools, oil, etc. in the baggage area of a cherokee. I can't fit all that and the icebox/arctic air in the baggage area. I've tried. Altho I have a bench back seat, it's not flat, so there's no way to snugly fit the icebox/arctic air.

This is a concern to me because I often fly animal rescues and need one or both areas for crates or dogs on harnesses. Which means the cooler must go on the front right seat. I don't feel comfortable with a cooler the size of icebox/arctic air in the front, even with it strapped down.

I used the icebox last summer (2013) on a flight from Denver to Devils Tower (about 3 hours each way, cruised at 9.5/10.5) Used the cooler for takeoff & landings and it was great. But....I didn't have animals or pax with me, didn't need all the gear since I was pretty much following major roads with lots of airports on the way, and I could put the cooler in the baggage area. I'm trying the b-kool unit (physically smaller) but it's May in Colorado and still snowing!

This is why I asked where are you going to put the cooler, and how much room do you have.

Here's the entire thread from last year:
http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71109

Thanks,
I have a Bonanza V35 and 99% of the time it is just my wife and I. We average just a bit over two FAA sized people. (Glad she's thin). If we push the middle seats back we have a good bit of room on the floor for the cooler. Since we don't use the tiny 5th and 6th seats, we have sufficient cargo area. CoG can be an issue, but we can usually arrange for that not to be a problem.
Wrote this over a year ago, but it's still useful:

There are three primary units: Arctic Air, Icebox (phillip) and b-kool (bob stephens). Common features:
All three use an insulated cooler such as an igloo or similar.
* High output fan (cfm)
* Radiator or similar for heat transfer
* Water pump (small marine bilge pump) to move water around the system.
* All work on 12v or 28 v.

How they work - you can go to the icebox website for the details, but simple explanation: ice a water at the bottom of the cooler, pump pushes cold water thru the radiator, ambient air enters the cooler from vent A, then is then pushed from the cooler thru the radiator and the cooler air comes out vent B that can be directed. Water from the radiator returns to the bottom of the cooler and the pump cycles the water around. Repeat.

The size of the cooler and cfm (cubic feet/minute on the fan) determine pretty much everything. I'm sure a bunch of posters will chime in about the BTUs and such, but I'm not that interested about it, but you may find it interesting. Phillip (icebox) has all sorts of research, tests, graphs, etc. on his website. But what it really comes down to: The larger the cooler & the better insulated, the more room for ice & water (the coolant) means the longer you'll have cool air. There is really isn't any other magic or criteria.

Arctic Air has 3 different sizes (30, 38 & 52 qts). I forget the size of the Icebox (38-44 qts?), and I think the b-kool is 28-30 qts.

I've tried both icebox & b-kool and my primary consideration is size. Living out west and the type of flying I do means I'm not always near an urban area or airport. As such I carry a fair amount of emergency equipment. In the summer this includes either a 4 or 8 gallon water tank (also works as excellent ballast for CG) as well as the emergency bag, tools, oil, etc. in the baggage area of a cherokee. I can't fit all that and the icebox/arctic air in the baggage area. I've tried. Altho I have a bench back seat, it's not flat, so there's no way to snugly fit the icebox/arctic air.

This is a concern to me because I often fly animal rescues and need one or both areas for crates or dogs on harnesses. Which means the cooler must go on the front right seat. I don't feel comfortable with a cooler the size of icebox/arctic air in the front, even with it strapped down.

I used the icebox last summer (2013) on a flight from Denver to Devils Tower (about 3 hours each way, cruised at 9.5/10.5) Used the cooler for takeoff & landings and it was great. But....I didn't have animals or pax with me, didn't need all the gear since I was pretty much following major roads with lots of airports on the way, and I could put the cooler in the baggage area. I'm trying the b-kool unit (physically smaller) but it's May in Colorado and still snowing!

This is why I asked where are you going to put the cooler, and how much room do you have.

Here's the entire thread from last year:
http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71109

I built my own and it works ok.

They will not cool your plane like a car A/C but they will cool you while they are blowing air directly at you.

I kind of expected it would cool down the entire cockpit like a Car AC but it is not quiet as efficient.

I fly with mine though and it makes taxiing in the Texas sun far more bearable.
I would assume all perform the same, Ice, Fan, Radiator, Bilge pump. Same formula.

Thanks,
I have a Bonanza V35 and 99% of the time it is just my wife and I. We average just a bit over two FAA sized people. (Glad she's thin). If we push the middle seats back we have a good bit of room on the floor for the cooler. Since we don't use the tiny 5th and 6th seats, we have sufficient cargo area. CoG can be an issue, but we can usually arrange for that not to be a problem.

You probably want to go for big cooler size then. Personally I never felt the need.

You probably want to go for big cooler size then. Personally I never felt the need.
once again, verse..chorus...verse. No actual useful reply.
No knowledge of the issue.
Reply inferring you are superior because you don't need one.

Thanks Capt. Henning

Thanks Capt. Henning

Why? If he wants a cooler unit and has the space to fit the big one which he says he does, it will get him the most cooling time. I just never saw the need, they aren't effective enough to keep you from sweating sitting around on the days you really need something, once you make altitude, you no longer need it, and you're hauling around an extra hundred pounds or so which are going to cost fuel and airspeed.

I'm not superior because I don't need one, I just can't be bothered when I don't particularly mind sweating for 10-15 minutes.

Why? If he wants a cooler unit and has the space to fit the big one which he says he does, it will get him the most cooling time. I just never saw the need, they aren't effective enough to keep you from sweating sitting around on the days you really need something, once you make altitude, you no longer need it, and you're hauling around an extra hundred pounds or so which are going to cost fuel and airspeed.

I'm not superior because I don't need one, I just can't be bothered when I don't particularly mind sweating for 10-15 minutes.

I bought mine towards the end of my instrument training. lots of low altitude stuff in the Georgia humidity. I've only used it a few times since then. Just the really warm days or times when I thought we'd be out on the tarmac for a while. It does okay and definitely helps, but not on my list of must haves for the plane.

I have an Artic Air cooler (the one that uses Ice). Works good. I got it for the Dogs. They can over heat quickly on the ramp and during the taxi in and out. I am sure the other brands will work just as good.

I don't really feel the need when we are just out having fun either.

But you are a healthy young(ish) slim guy that is used to working in the sun. I'm bigger, older and spend most of my work day in an air conditioned building. Sometimes we like to fly to a nice place for dinner. I don't like walking in looking and smelling like I just finished a shift in the engine room.

Besides, Leslie wants one.

Thanks Capt. Henning

Take two, they're small.

Back