Ice!

I had considered that. It actually expanded to the south and west right on top of me since I posted that. I'm in no hurry to visit - I'm just going to wait until tonight or tomorrow when it clears. The icing airmet / scattered to broken low clouds are all over the area at the moment.

What are the ceilings?

1400-1900 around here. 4600-5000 or more as you get up to Detroit. Rain throughout NE Ohio and some freezing rain reported in lower Michigan.

TAFs calling for 5000 scattered 10000 broken at 5PM local in Cleveland and broken 4000' with rain in Detroit at around the same time, so it is improving down here and getting crappier up there.

I'm still learning my way around the giant ice machine that is the great lakes system.

Wise decision. Up here, the forecast discussion at one point mentioned the possibility of small hail. The lapse rates are very steep near the surface and there's apparently a thick below freezing layer.

I had the same problem Fri night and Sat morning. Couldn't fly north back to WV--ceilings in TN were 5000, with moderate icing at 7000 & up; Tri-Cities area reported hail on the ground. In E. KY, moderate icing was 3000-14,000. So I didn't go . . . Some things you just don't mess with.

I had the same problem Fri night and Sat morning. Couldn't fly north back to WV--ceilings in TN were 5000, with moderate icing at 7000 & up; Tri-Cities area reported hail on the ground. In E. KY, moderate icing was 3000-14,000. So I didn't go . . . Some things you just don't mess with.

We had 1/8-3/16" hail during one sct ts yesterday at 3:30 PM in E Ky.

Back