Ice landing on CA beach: takeoff?

JohnSBA

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
JohnSBA
Yes, it was reported as carb ice and not climate change. :)

On the beach between Santa Barbara and Ventura yesterday a small taildragger landed after engine trouble that was reported as carb ice. Apologies if there's already a POA thread on this, but I didn't find one with the search link and wanted to get some expert info.

Can anyone positively ID the aircraft type in this article's photo & video of the subsequent beach takeoff? Cub? How much margin would you add to the POH numbers in such a scenario before contemplating a takeoff instead of coughing up the big bux for other salvage options? Might insurance cover removal?

Looked like a J-3, hard to tell. Tail came up early with power which reduces the drag in the sand.

If on hard packed sand with "normal" tires, I might factor the takeoff distance x2.
If he had to be higher up on the beach in soft sand, and with normal tires, he may never reach a safe flying speed. Tundra or "beach" tires would shorten the distance required by reducing roling resistance.

Yup, it's a J-3. That beach is a bit south of Carpinteria, and it's plenty long enough for a Cub.

(POH for a J-3? What numbers?)

Last edited:
Sometimes engines temporarily run bad for dumb reasons. He made a safe landing, and can probably do a safe takeoff as well. Yeah, could be a Raahhhjaaahh wannabe, but it could be genuine.

Oh my goodness...

These airplanes lack POH's and takeoff tables. Rather, they rely on seat of the pants and judgement.

Sometimes that judgement is improved by surviving a lack.

Don't try this ins New York, where they don't stand for lack of judgement, except on election day.

Don't try this in New York, where they don't stand for lack of judgement, except on election day.

It starts long before Election Day.

Anyone living that packed in with other humans is already suffering from a lack of judgement. ;)

(My sister included. No favorite-playing on this opinion!)

Every decade or so the stories that come out of NYC when a longer-term electrical blackout happens -- and the resulting panic, anger, and utter helplessness -- those are always entertaining nights to catch the news.

Too many frakkin' people there!

OK, ya'll, what's all this:
a. up in somebody's grill

and

b. Rahhhhh Jahhhh stuff? I've obviously missed something

OK, ya'll, what's all this:
a. up in somebody's grill

and

b. Rahhhhh Jahhhh stuff? I've obviously missed something

I must live a sheltered life out here in Wyoming,,,

I have never heard the phrase "up in someone grill"....

Defination please....:dunno::dunno::dunno:

I don't get it either Ben. All I can figure is that it's some NYC aggressive in your face gangstah wannabe BS....

That explains it................ I HATE rap and never listen to it so my exposure to that saying is zero......... Thanks for the info.:D

Back