Ice generator

Aztec Driver

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Bryon
So when in the winter does the gigantic ice and snow generators they call the great lakes slow it's production down? I have a flight that will skirt the lakes from Watertown, NY to Toledo, OH on Jan 4th at night. I was hoping it will get a little cold to produce ice in great quantities by then. Obviously it depends on any fronts or large air masses moving, but does it generally slow it's "lake effect" snow as it gets colder?

Ugh. It usually takes six solid weeks of cold cold cold to "skin" the lakes with ice, which muffles the radiator effect of vapor.

Stay High, don't accept down low over the Cleveland Bravo, and I hope your AStar be FIKI.....

When they freeze over and stop pouring relatively warm moist air into the Arctic Zephyrs that flow down across them.

Ugh. It usually takes six solid weeks of cold cold cold to "skin" the lakes with ice, which muffles the radiator effect of vapor.

Stay High, don't accept down low over the Cleveland Bravo, and I hope your AStar be FIKI.....
Well, FIKI would be a strong term for it. It does have boots, prop heat, and windshield deice, sort of. I know the boots and prop heat work well, but the windshield deice leaves a lot to be desired.

Well, two weeks ago I got the ice I posted here:

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39243

At +5F going over Wilkes-Barre area. I wouldn't plan on it being too cold for ice, you'll probably get some. Best to try to stay above the cloud layers if you can. The nice part is that the cloud layers do seem to have tops below 10,000 ft most of the time around here at night in the winter. And the nice thing about that ice is that it also tends to form cleanly, at least on the Aztec. Doesn't lose a lot of airspeed.

The 310 has no windshield de-ice or anti-ice. I'm thinking of trying to get the STC'd hot plate for it. The Aztec's hot plate isn't perfect, but better than nothing.

Last edited:
The lakes are unlikely to be frozen in early jan, and as long as there is open water... 32deg is a lot warmer than the cold air blowing across it. Hence there is likely to be lake effect.

Just be prepared to detour inland a bit. Lake effect usually stops within 20-30nm of the shoreline. Or, consider cutting through Canada (to get on the upwind side of the Lakes) and then drop down at Detroit to get to Toledo.

It is 372nm direct...
~401 around the Southern perimeter of the Lakes
~388 around the Northern perimeter of the Lakes.

Back