Ice Boot Care

Ted

The pilot formerly known as Twin Engine Ted
Display Name

Display name:
iFlyNothing
Well, winter's coming up and this will be my first winter with my FIKI Aztec. A big question that I have is what have those of you with FIKI on your aircraft found to be the best means of caring for the boots and keeping them in top condition? Lots of products out there (mostly very expensive), and I'm wondering what you all have found works the best, and how best to care for them. The general thing I've heard is to treat the boots monthly, and heard a few people report that spraying Pam on the boots prior to going into potential icing conditions helps too (makes me chuckle, but also makes sense).

I'm not intending on going out and finding icing (and fully intend on avoiding it), but winter's coming up, and since I have the plane with de-ice I'd just like to make sure that it's working properly in case I need it. I figure if I take care of it, I'll probably never need it. If I think I'll never need it and ignore it, I'll get massive icing just because Murphy hates me.

Advice solicited. :)

I remember a discussion in Flying, which sparked a discussion at the charter operator I used to work with. Consensus was that ICEX (or ICEX II now) was the good stuff for rubber de-ice boots. The maintenance guys put it on the Caravan and King Airs in accordance with some schedule, and there was also a spray bottle if a pilot wanted to touch something up.

Where's Eamon? If he's not strictly purple, he might chime in, and I bet he's got a bunch of experience from when he was flying Caravans in the winter.

ICEX:
That is what the NAVY used on the G-1 versions they had. WE applied it every time we washed the aircraft.

I've used a product called PBS which comes in two parts, a prep (cleaner) and a sealer. It seems to do a good job on the boots but every time I've used it I end up getting black stains on the wings behind the boots.

I know that some folks swear that lemon pledge is the best thing for boots but I've never tried it.

I know that some folks swear that lemon pledge is the best thing for boots but I've never tried it.

I have heard the same about Pam. Never tried it. Don't want to fly anything that I would have the potential of finding out.:idea:;)

I've used pledge on the leading edge of the mooney, made bugs come off easier. But I'm pretty sure I'd rather stick to something formulated for the rubber.

Goodyear has a good boot cleaner and maintainer; we apply it year round. ICEX II is what I apply when there is a chance I'll encounter ice.

Best,

Dave

We used "Future" floor wax on the King Air. Mixed about 1/3 water 2/4 FFW. Nothing can make boots shinier.

Lots of products out there (mostly very expensive), and I'm wondering what you all have found works the best, and how best to care for them.

When I bought my 210 last year, I wrote Goodrich about the recommended care. Here is a copy of that correspondence:

Me: "I recently bought my first flight-into-known-icing aircraft, a Cessna 210. I would like to care for the boots properly. I know there are several products out there, but I was wondering about the manufacturer's recommended care instructions? I see competing products from Goodrich, as well as from other sources, and was wondering how they differ. What about some commonly used agents such as Pledge, Rejex, or Wash/Wax All? The plane is kept hangared, and will probably fly 80-100 hours per year."

Goodrich's response:

"We do not authorize use of any products other than those offered by Goodrich. These are:

ICEX II, which is an ice adhesion inhibitor to be used only in the icing season

AgeMaster #1, which is a rubber preservative and can be used every 6 months.

ShineMaster, which is a cosmetic treatment

The best thing you can do for your de-icers is to wash them with warm soapy water after every flight, and store the aircraft in a hangar. Apply the AgeMaster #1 every 6 months."

Wells

Back