IAP Contest

AdamZ

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Adam Zucker
Ok contest here! Post ( attach) a image of the most unusual approach plate you can find. Categorys are:

Most Confusing
Most difficult / dangerous
Most Unusual

Rules:
-You do not have to have flown the approach
-It must be an acutal approach ( does not have to currently be commissioned)
-Each person can submit one approach in each category
-In the event an approach is submitted multiple times in a category the first person to submit it has claim to the approach
-You can submit an approach in more than one category ie the ILS 24 at KPNE could be submitted by me for "Most Unusual" and by EdFred for " Most difficult" ( note. we'd be the crappiest pilots in the world if either did that)
- I am final arbiter of all rules.
- I can change the rules to avoid confusion
- This contest may at my discretion be cross posted on the Red Board if so then you may resubmit there as well.
- After all submissions are made I will list the top few in each category and will then post a poll so a vote can be taken by the board on the winner in each category.
- Winners of each category get the following:
1) Free admission to Wings Fly B Q 2007
2) Landing and overnight fees waived at 6Y9 for an full year
3) Permission to say " Any traffic in the Pattern Please advise" one time at Gastons IV in 2007.

Lets have fun with this.

Aww, a real approach? Guess I can't submit this oldie but goodie, eh ...

Category: fictitious

Attachments

• Shuttle Approach.jpg
    Shuttle Approach.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Thanks Ken. BTW please state in your post which category you are entering the approach in.

On behalf of Marylanders, I submit the infamous VOR DME 15 at MTN. Look it up. Also look at the missed. I think this exists solely to punish the unrighteous.

Ken Ibold said:
Aww, a real approach? Guess I can't submit this oldie but goodie, eh ...

Category: fictitious

Ken, I thought that one was real? I should ask my sister, she could get me in touch with some shuttle flyers.

AdamZ said:
Most difficult / dangerous

For the above, I submit to you the following on behalf of Dr. B since that's who I got 'em from:
ASE VOR/DME or GPS-C
PASV NDB/VOR/DME 34

Most Unusual

ROW LOC BC 3 ("Terrestrials NA" ;))
PSM GPS 16 (The Tweety Bird approach)

And, in the Highest Minimums category (or the "requires oxygen" category):

LXV GPS 16. IAF min altitude 14,000, category A minimums 11360-1 1/4.

Attachments

• ase_vor_dme_or_gps_c.pdf
    114.8 KB · Views: 15
  • PASV NDB-VOR-DME 34.pdf
    151.6 KB · Views: 19
  • row_loc_bc_rwy_03.pdf
    47.1 KB · Views: 27
  • Tweety psm_rnav_gps_rwy_16.pdf
    83.4 KB · Views: 14
  • LXV GPS 16.pdf
    332.9 KB · Views: 17
Most difficult/dangerous. Note the airport elevation, missed approach procedure, 10nm circle, and terrain. How'd ya like to do that at 10pm on a moonless December night, never mind the minimums?!?

Attachments

• akp_ndb_b.pdf
    707.7 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
I'd like to submit one entry for both most dangerous and most unusual:

http/204.108.4.16/d-tpp/0608/09146G16.PDF

flyingcheesehead said:
PSM GPS 16 (The Tweety Bird approach)

Holy crap is that funny.

IDEED, IDEED.

And apparantly SATAN feeds him.

Last edited:
SkyHog said:
I'd like to submit one entry for both most dangerous and most unusual:

http/204.108.4.16/d-tpp/0608/09146G16.PDF

Probably the most difficult, because my browser can't even find it!

alaskaflyer said:
Most difficult/dangerous. Note the airport elevation, missed approach procedure, 10nm circle, and terrain. How'd ya like to do that at 10pm on a moonless December night, never mind the minimums?!?

I would fly Aspen 100 times before I would fly that one!

Edit: I take that back. The minimums are pretty high. I still don't think Aspen is that big of a deal, because I probably wouldn't be flying it in a NA anyway.

Last edited:
flyingcheesehead said:
Ken, I thought that one was real? I should ask my sister, she could get me in touch with some shuttle flyers.
Look in the center top and bottom. "A.Fox 3/95." Jay Apt told me the story that the guys were clowning around one day and decided to cobble this together based on how the computer actually flies the shuttle in.

Here is my submission to the IAP contest. I am submitting it under most unusual and most dangerous. There is some geat history behind this approach. It is the approach into Kungming China That my uncle Burton flew in WWII when he flew the Hump in C-46s. In addition to the approach plate I have included an email from Uncle Burton describing what it was like to fly the Hump and what some of his approaches were like. These guys were truly the GREATEST GENERATION!!!!

Hi Adam

How would like to try this, remember this is 1945. No radar only a beacon, it is night, ceiling of 700' (being generous) approaching at 11,000' there are 5 planes ahead , we are stacked up at 1000' intervals tower lets us down one at a time, 20 min to complete a landing. In the mean time we are burning gas. We are not allowed to take on any gas at Kunming and they drain some gas from our tanks and the remaining is supposed to take us back to Burma. We have to make a round trip no staying over night. While they are unloading the 20 barrels of 55gal drums of 100 octane gas we head for the "egg shack". Couldn't get fresh eggs in Burma and it took a dozen eggs to make a regular size omelet would get the latest weather report from operations, which would only be good for a half hour. The range for a C46 was 1200 miles and the distance from Burma to Kunming was 560 miles and we don't have good weather report This time of year (July ) the height of the monsoon season in Burma would result in very bad storms over the hump. We are returning at night and cannot see storms ahead and would plow right in. Remember our gas is getting low since we burned quite a bit in the delay of our landing and in addition they drained some off our tanks. During the monsoon season we could hit freak winds of up to 250 mph. Turbulence could flip a C46 over or force it down thousands of feet a minute.We would meet an updraft and you are pushed down into the seat until the seat belt was so loose you wouldn't even know you had it on. Then a minute later you will get slammed by a downdraft and you are thrown against the harness belt, the only thing keeping you in the seat. In an up or downdraft look at the altimeter and it would be spinning so fast eyes cannot follow. Rise 1000' or fall 1000'in no time, plane would tilt over one side to 90 deg .
How is your gas supply? Only 20min supply left and we are 120 miles from home. Never make it. Call the ground and give them our heading and tell them we are jumping in 20 min. Tie down the radio transmitter key and maybe they could get a fix on our location. We are on the Burma side of the hump so that means we are jumping into jungle. The worst place to jump.
The "ALUMINUM TRAIL" of downed aircraft
Adam would you like to fly back then?
Take care.
Burt

Last edited:
Back