I would like to buy your B-52..

Well, if I could afford it, I'd have a B-52 also.

What Mr. Billionaire doesn't realize is the minimal crew required to fly it.

A trifle, I'm sure.

Psssstt... Hey, Boris......I'll sell you this one for only $100 Million...

It's a 152!
cessna152.jpg

It's 100 better!!!

Idea stolen blatantly from FARK thread.

Last edited:
Well, it would take a pretty big set of stones, but I woulda said 'sure! Boris, let's go talk turkey and get this deal done'. After I'd taken the deposit, and let him look around a bit, CYA!

Well, it would take a pretty big set of stones, but I woulda said 'sure! Boris, let's go talk turkey and get this deal done'. After I'd taken the deposit, and let him look around a bit, CYA!

I had a 1963 Buick Riviera in original condition When I drove it, this would happen:

Random "slick" dude: "Nice car! You want to sell it?"
No.

Mumble, mumble, look, look,

"If I made you an offer, how much would you want?"
$4000.00
"It's not worth that!
IT'S NOT PERFECT!
You'll NEVER GET THAT!"

Refer to my first answer. :mad:

Last edited:
I dunno, that's a lot of airplane if he's not a seasoned pilot. I mean really, if he lost an engine, think about it!! It'd be the dreaded seven engine approach!

I dunno, that's a lot of airplane if he's not a seasoned pilot. I mean really, if he lost an engine, think about it!! It'd be the dreaded seven engine approach!

Even worse, they might be down to ONE coffee maker!

Even worse, they might be down to ONE coffee maker!
That is not a laughing matter. Had that happen once on a 28 hour mission. Then we ran out of coffee too. Worst part was actually when the toliets filled up, well at least we had the empty coffee pots ;)

What Mr. Billionaire doesn't realize is the minimal crew required to fly it.

A trifle, I'm sure.

The minimum crew listed in the manual is only three. Two pilots and a Nav to run the OAS. Not really very many. It would be harder to get the required ground equipment to start it everywhere you go with no APU installed. Or you could just use starter cartridges everytime but I'm sure the fire department would get called alot.

Mitch

The minimum crew listed in the manual is only three. Two pilots and a Nav to run the OAS. Not really very many. It would be harder to get the required ground equipment to start it everywhere you go with no APU installed. Or you could just use starter cartridges everytime but I'm sure the fire department would get called alot.

Mitch

What Mitch you never heard of "HAND PROPING" ? (LOL)
wouldn't that be fun trying to do.
Dave G:blueplane:

Last edited by a moderator:
Or you could just use starter cartridges everytime but I'm sure the fire department would get called alot.

Wow... I'd never heard of starter cartridges before. Couldn't find a ton of info about 'em, but this was interesting. Sounds like they were used mainly for large piston aircraft engines?

Ever started an engine this way? I'm wondering if it's anything like the few diesels that have an air-starter. That makes a sound like a dentist's drill, but it starts the engine really fast. I think it spins the engine at or above normal idle speed, much faster than an electric starter. It's just kind of a pain when the air tank decides to lose pressure...

What Mitch you never heard of "HAND PROPING" ? (LOL)
wouldn't that be fun trying to do.
Dave G:blueplane:

Dave,

No kidding. Champs and Luscombes are one thing, but I don't think I could reach high enough to reach the blades without a ladder!!! I wonder if you could rig some kind of pull starter hooked to a truck?

Mitch

I think you'd have an awful difficult time attempting to hand prop a jet....

Wow... I'd never heard of starter cartridges before. Couldn't find a ton of info about 'em, but this was interesting. Sounds like they were used mainly for large piston aircraft engines?

Ever started an engine this way? ...

The ones we used were gumdrop shaped container of what is essentially solid rocket fuel a little larger than a gallon milk jug. When installed and ignited, the exhaust passed through a turbine starter. Once you got engines no 4 and five going (five had a generator) you used bleed air to start the rest. The cartridges made ALOT of smoke and could be finicky if not installed properely but were a good way to get started quickly.

Mitch

The ones we used were gumdrop shaped container of what is essentially solid rocket fuel a little larger than a gallon milk jug. When installed and ignited, the exhaust passed through a turbine starter. Once you got engines no 4 and five going (five had a generator) you used bleed air to start the rest. The cartridges made ALOT of smoke and could be finicky if not installed properely but were a good way to get started quickly.

Mitch

Am I dreaming or didn't Yeager write that he invented jet jump starting by putting the exhaust of a running jet into the intake of the one you're starting?

Am I dreaming or didn't Yeager write that he invented jet jump starting by putting the exhaust of a running jet into the intake of the one you're starting?

I'll have to suggest that this winter when our igniters are being lazy in the cold. Anyone want to come hold the prop while we do it?

IIRC, C-130's use this as an accepted proceedure in the event of a failed starter. The broken plane taxis behind another and the propwash from lead turns the engine in question and, TA DA! Engine start.

Would that work with a reverse flow free turbine, or would too much of the energy be lost?

Now you lost me, I'm a turbofan guy. Turboprops have too may moving parts for my comfort level.

Back