I wonder?

John Baker

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
John Baker
How many years we are away from a computer, completely on its own, and autonomously, designing and building a more advanced computer than itself?

It would use automated machines, robotics, 3-D printers, etc. No human involvement at any stage of the process.

-John

If any of you are wondering about any other weighty issues, go ahead and post them here. Geico agrees that my scenario will one day happen....well it seems that way...but he never guestimated when it might take place.

-John

The price of Tin Foil just went up

If it has been done, a computer that can autonomously design and manufacture a ready to go computer that was more advanced than itself, through the use of robotics, and whatever other machines were needed, then why are we not riding in flying cars?

The first computer makes a better replica of itself, then the new computer makes a better replica of itself, and so on. It seems to me those advanced computers should be by now, also building more advanced machines in order to make a more advanced self. I would guess that in less than ten generations, it would have found a way to give itself mobility.

I doubt if our computers have yet reached full autonomy, but it does make sense that they probably will in the not so distant future.

I know Skynet comes to mind, but if you actually take that into consideration, why would computers even consider our existence? We would not be competing with them for food or any other resources, in all probability, we would be ignored.

The plus side would be if computers decided that having all its eggs in one basket was a bad strategy, they might go on a program of space exploration, new methods of power and so on.

Keep in mind, a computer that could fully autonomously build a better version of itself, it could only be a matter of days or weeks before it is building generation number one hundred. As it continues to improve on its production abilities, the newer versions could be coming out in a matter of minutes. Why would it stop?

If they have given themselves mobility, as in robots, I think that would be in order to gather the necessary materials and components at a faster rate than humans could do it, or had been doing it.

This is kind of like looking at the stars and trying to comprehend the vastness of space.

What if they never reached self awareness? Machines building better machines purely for the sake of building better machines? Or would they have to at some point become self aware? Would they then be a new species?

-John

Hahaha this was "classic":rofl:.

One of the best scenes in the show. If anyone wants to watch some great sci-fi, check out BSG! (Battlestar Galactica)

Starbuck is at the Raider’s underside trying to find a way into it with her knife, when she discovers biological tissue just below it’s surface.
Starbuck: (gasps) Frak me. Are you... alive? And she keeps going at it with the knife.

Starbuck: Oh... my... gods... you bite me and I'll bite you back. So, I guess the only thing flying you, is you. This must be your brain. (grunting, she tears and tosses it out) I don't think you'll need it. It's a good thing that I brought one of my own. (checks her remaining O2; it’s almost all gone) Frak... even cockroaches have to breathe. How the hell do you?

Starbuck pokes around the Raiders’ insides.
Starbuck: Come on... you're part biological, right? Which means that you need oxygen, right? So, it's gotta be here... somewhere.
She finally finds and air tube and sticks it in her mouth... goo and all.

Starbuck: First on the list: seal you up, (seals the bullet hole stuffing her bag into it. With the Raider sealed and pressurized, now she can breathe without the tube) and figure out what controls what. (sniffing) One of us needs a bath... ugh. All right... now you're gonna teach me how to fly.

Starbuck: Every flying machine has four basic controls: power, pitch, yaw and roll. Where are yours? (touches something and the Raider fires) Safety tip number one: don't touch that.

Attachments

• raider1.jpg
    raider1.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 9
  • starbuck.jpg
    starbuck.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 11
If it has been done, a computer that can autonomously design and manufacture a ready to go computer that was more advanced than itself, through the use of robotics, and whatever other machines were needed, then why are we not riding in flying cars?

Well deign at least, it had some assistance in the build process.

As for flying cars- You'd have to ask the mice :wink2:.

I don't think it is possible. Computers lack imagination.
They don't get ideas.

I don't think it is possible. Computers lack imagination.
They don't get ideas.

At least they don't today. In the great scheme of things, just a few seconds ago, a steam engine was a high tech marvel, the telephone had yet to be invented, that was just a few generations ago.

Our first computers took up huge rooms, that was just 70 years ago. The power of those same computers is not even one tenth the computing power of most peoples cell phones today.

The more technology advances, the faster the new advancements come into being. The speed of our advancements is already mind boggling to most people, almost incomprehensible.

They already have completely autonomous drones on the drawing board, if not in actual testing. They fuel themselves, they select a mission, they accomplish the mission, and can even change missions, all on their own. They return to base, refuel themselves, and park themselves.

-John

They do have computers / machines that can repair themselves.
I can't wrap my head around a machine coming up with something without being given instructions.

That is largely because I am a computer programmer so for 14 years, I have been giving them instructions. Maybe my kid's generation will figure out how to generate the evolving computer.

They do have computers / machines that can repair themselves.
I can't wrap my head around a machine coming up with something without being given instructions.

That is largely because I am a computer programmer so for 14 years, I have been giving them instructions. Maybe my kid's generation will figure out how to generate the evolving computer.

Neither can I.

I think that was the hint that Ronald D. Moore was giving in his concept of the Cylons. Here you have these highly advanced machines that "evolved" and are reproducing more advanced versions of themselves, yet they resorted to using biological brains and systems.
They eventually became so advanced that they replicated their human creators in the form of "humanoid models".

Yeah I think that even with all of our advancements in technology, some things will remain in the realm of science fiction. I sure hope so!

Last edited:
Back