"I will be shocked if anyone can ID where this was taken"

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
5205495532_9fd6939655.jpg

Beth, prepare to be shocked.

It's from the dome in the Church of Saint Charles Borromew, designed by the only 27-year-old architect Max Hegele, a student of Otto Wagner, and erected between 1908-1911.

The Church stands in Vienna's Central Cemetery.

<< this was very hard to find, despite all my best Google-Fu >>

This page has more about the property

How long did it take you to figure that out? :rofl:

It's a beautiful dome!

How long did it take you to figure that out? :rofl:

It's a beautiful dome!

A couple of hours, sadly! But I love a good puzzle.

Google Image and Bing Image searches were fruitless, despite tons of different keywords (dome, rotunda, blue, cobalt, starburst, churches, copula) and eye-scanning thousands of photos. Google Images can even do a "photo match" search where you drag a photo from your Explorer/Desktop onto their search page and they try to match it--that failed miserably; they thought it was a CD cover. :rofl:

It came together quickly in the end, when I put on my "sleuth" hat and ended up piecing together several clues... Liz had mentioned on FB just finishing up going through her Vienna photos a couple days back. I then searched Flikr site for public "Vienna Domes" images, which found this hit on page 2 of the results:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/73231755@N00/1126129610/

That Dr.'s photo caption led me to this search:

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en...6718l0l6841l36l34l4l18l22l0l179l1024l8.4l12l0

And the first link is the history you see linked in my OP.

Last edited:
Or you could go through my flickr photos and find it. I included all the info there. ;)

ps. I think it may be the most beautiful dome I've seen to date.

Or you could go through my flickr photos and find it. I included all the info there. ;)

I figured you would have them locked down, and didn't even look there! ;-)

Oh, and you go visit the most AMAZING places; thanks for sharing them with us!!

That dome's colors are so vibrant--was it recently restored?! Hard to believe that's over 100 years old... it looks like it went up yesterday.

I figured you would have them locked down, and didn't even look there! ;-)

Oh, and you go visit the most AMAZING places; thanks for sharing them with us!!

That dome's colors are so vibrant--was it recently restored?! Hard to believe that's over 100 years old... it looks like it went up yesterday.

I should mention - I have so bloody many photos online that if you didn't know where to start, good luck finding it... Over 5000 on flickr.

Heading to Madrid on Thursday for the long holiday weekend, too!

I should mention - I have so bloody many photos online that if you didn't know where to start, good luck finding it... Over 5000 on flickr.

Heading to Madrid on Thursday for the long holiday weekend, too!

You know, you can just put the image URL into google and it will find the photo and more like it for you... That image is one google query away from being found.. on your blog and on flickr, complete with description.

Poke the image url into google, it will find it, click on it, click on it again. then go to "view web page for this site" you will see it being blogged about a trip to vienna.

click on the home page for the blog, and there's a link to the photo stream.

go to the photostream and wha-la there it is, complete with description.

Total time, 30 seconds.

Last edited:
You know, you can just put the image URL into google and it will find the photo and more like it for you... That image is one google query away from being found.. on your blog and on flickr, complete with description.

Poke the image url into google, it will find it, click on it, click on it again. then go to "view web page for this site" you will see it being blogged about a trip to vienna.

Total time, 30 seconds.

Have you tried it with her original source image? This is what you get:

https://www.google.com/search?tbs=s...h&sa=X&ei=SNUMT8i5Ecv1sQKTwMSHBg&ved=0CEAQ9Q8

CD Packaging?

It's from the dome in the Church of Saint Charles Borromew, designed by the only 27-year-old architect Max Hegele, a student of Otto Wagner, and erected between 1908-1911.

The Church stands in Vienna's Central Cemetery.

<< this was very hard to find, despite all my best Google-Fu >>

This page has more about the property

Hence my question about whether people were dying to go to the environs around the dome (in a PM).

Yes, click on the smaller version of the image at the top, not the CD Link, it will take you to google images, click that one. Wha-Lah

Yeah, I did, which takes me to another copy of the image, and "More Sizes". If I click the image on THAT page, it brings me back to this forum, but doesn't provide any other matching images. What am I missing that you're trying to tell me?

Total time, 30 seconds.

How do you get the image URL from what I posted?

And how do you do the rest of it? It came back here...

How do you get the image URL from what I posted?

And how do you do the rest of it? It came back here...

You right click the picture and go to "Copy Image URL"

Now it's going to a POA post, earlier it was going to a blog entry about Vienna, complete with photos of what looked like Beethoven's tomb.

Troy: while we are on topic.

I was going to ask you this but didn't - in Savannah, on River Street, there is an art shop - one level up. You have to go up some stairs to get to it.

I was thinking about exhibiting some photos there just for the hell of it to see if anyone bites. Apparently artists can rent space, and there are a handful of photographers. My photos would be primarily travel, not local travel though.

Whaddya think? I imagine River Street gets enough foot traffic. Whether my stuff would sell is another story.

Yeah, I did, which takes me to another copy of the image, and "More Sizes". If I click the image on THAT page, it brings me back to this forum, but doesn't provide any other matching images. What am I missing that you're trying to tell me?

earlier it was going to her blog.. Google musta updated it.

Troy: while we are on topic.

I was going to ask you this but didn't - in Savannah, on River Street, there is an art shop - one level up. You have to go up some stairs to get to it.

I was thinking about exhibiting some photos there just for the hell of it to see if anyone bites. Apparently artists can rent space, and there are a handful of photographers. My photos would be primarily travel, not local travel though.

Whaddya think? I imagine River Street gets enough foot traffic. Whether my stuff would sell is another story.

Go for it!! We didn't do River Street, but there were lots of people there. Street art fairs, like Fort Worth's annual Arts Festival, are a big draw with a very focused set of passersby, too, and may produce more leads for you. I've got some other ideas, and have a friend who's making a good living selling her art online, and even now has some of her art on puzzles distributed worldwide by WalMart... Send me a FB PM.

Google Fu, now that's funny!

At first sight of the new picture I though Spanish steps then looked closer. Nope, haven't a clue

Last edited:
Back