I went to FlugTag and you should consider it.

SixPapaCharlie

May the force be with you
Display Name

Display name:
Sixer
Friday evening Flugtag randomly popped in my head and so I googled it. It had been in Dallas several years ago and I wanted to know when the next one was. Google said it is "Tomorrow at 1:10 PM in Cincinnati"
I asked Eren "Can I fly to Cincinnati in the morning and come back on Sunday?" She gave me the non-emoji version of the thumbs up and off I went.

12 hours round trip to see 2 hours of people crashing planes into the water and it was worth every penny.

If this ends up near you, you should check it out. 99% of it is just pure fun and silliness.
Then there are those that are in it to win it.

This year it was on the Ohio river and there was a huge tail wind so nobody stood a chance.

The last to go was a YT channel called FliteTest.
They built a good craft but nobody could outrun the winds.
I would estimate 5000 people in attendance and there were 40 "pilots" that entered.
They get on the ramp, do a skit, blare some music, and then send it.

Here are a few of the "planes" I filmed

Here are some the serious contenders from years past:

I can agree with this. Watched one of these years ago on SF Bay. Solid entertainment.

Distance is measured by haw far the pilot's head went. So ya had a lot of people leaping off at the last second for distance which was pretty funny.

Is Flugtag a word that can be said in public, or in mixed company.?? :lol:

I never attended one, but one of my paramotoring buddies entered and asked me to design their "aircraft"... it set a new US distance record (2006), long since beat. They bought me a new Icom handheld with part of the prize money.

I never attended one, but one of my paramotoring buddies entered and asked me to design their "aircraft"... it set a new US distance record (2006), long since beat. They bought me a new Icom handheld with part of the prize money.

PoA east builds a low wing, PoA west builds a high wing... PoA midwest builds a mid wing? (or bi-plane?)

Or we could just do a tri-plane. That should cover all bases, high-mid-low.

Friday evening Flugtag randomly popped in my head and so I googled it. It had been in Dallas several years ago and I wanted to know when the next one was. Google said it is "Tomorrow at 1:10 PM in Cincinnati"
I asked Eren "Can I fly to Cincinnati in the morning and come back on Sunday?" She gave me the non-emoji version of the thumbs up and off I went.

12 hours round trip to see 2 hours of people crashing planes into the water and it was worth every penny.

If this ends up near you, you should check it out. 99% of it is just pure fun and silliness.
Then there are those that are in it to win it.

This year it was on the Ohio river and there was a huge tail wind so nobody stood a chance.

The last to go was a YT channel called FliteTest.
They built a good craft but nobody could outrun the winds.
I would estimate 5000 people in attendance and there were 40 "pilots" that entered.
They get on the ramp, do a skit, blare some music, and then send it.

Here are a few of the "planes" I filmed

Here are some the serious contenders from years past:
Thanks for the videos. I had no idea it was that popular. You flew from Texas to here just for that show? Cool deal and good reason for a flight, I guess? Did you land at Lunken?

Thanks for the videos. I had no idea it was that popular. You flew from Texas to here just for that show? Cool deal and good reason for a flight, I guess? Did you land at Lunken?
I did. It's a very nice airport. Super close to everything. Probably the longest spur of the moment cross country I've ever done. Usually I plan the big ones out way in advance which is why I ended up at a hotel watching people get arrested all night long once the event was over.

Was there, saw that, got the T-Shirt. If you missed Over the Rhine District (aka OTR), you missed a good time.

Cheers

I did. It's a very nice airport. Super close to everything. Probably the longest spur of the moment cross country I've ever done. Usually I plan the big ones out way in advance which is why I ended up at a hotel watching people get arrested all night long once the event was over.
Thanks for coming to town, sorry about the crime downtown. I learned to fly at Lunken but live on the west side of Cincy. Like said OTR has some good bar’s and restaurants.

Was it Flugtuggers partying to hard, or something else?

Was it Flugtuggers partying to hard, or something else?
No it was just a cheap hotel and I don't know the area. So I ended up at this quality inn and suites The only thing I know is it was across the street from a White Castle and some sort of convenience store that locked the doors at night so you had to peek through the window and tell the guy what you wanted and he would go get it and hand it to you through a window. It was that part of town.

Classy! Perfect kind of place to take Eren for a date then.
Haha. Nah rstayed home. Which was the right choice. She would have made us leave that room and go to another hotel.

The worst hotel I ever stayed in was in Cincinnati. It still makes me shudder to think about it.

No it was just a cheap hotel and I don't know the area. So I ended up at this quality inn and suites The only thing I know is it was across the street from a White Castle and some sort of convenience store that locked the doors at night so you had to peek through the window and tell the guy what you wanted and he would go get it and hand it to you through a window. It was that part of town.
See, ya shoulda just slept on the FBO couch.

Haha. Nah rstayed home. Which was the right choice. She would have made us leave that room and go to another hotel.
Would have been a good decision if it's the place I'm thinking it is. Wrong Side of the Expressway.

PS You generally get what you pay for. My Fav is the Netherland Hilton. Rooms aren't much but the Palm Court Bar is Great.

In a valley, Lunken is often foggy when everywhere else is clear. It’s long been known as “sunken Lunken.”

Back