I was looking for some suggestions on a flight to KS.

rmciottijr

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
rmciottijr
In November I have a hunting trip schedule and I was planning on flying myself out. I am giving myself three days to get to KS and three days back, (12th-17th) anticipating weather. Although I don’t have my trip planned yet I am looking for any suggestions or gotchas. The post about www.wactac.com form Tony Condon was great that will make it easy to get all the charts and AFDs. Thanks in advance everyone.

Bob

Last edited:
where in kansas? that time of the year will be past thunderstorm season, probably for the midwest. could have to deal with snow and ice though. good thing to budget several days. you might need it.

or it could be severe clear all week. the joy of winter

I was going to go to Dodge (KDDC) but now I may be going to Chanute (KCNU) from Wings field (KLOM) and I will need to stop about every 230 miles (no wind).

Plan to do as much as possible per day rather than actually spreading the trip out over three days. November can be an interesting time of year weather wise. When I flew the Mooney from Williamsport to Iowa for Tony's party last November I was able to make it there on the planned day, but it still involved some careful looking at weather and involved me climbing through a hole and being at 8500 ft VFR over a solid layer until Ohio. During this time, Adam leaving me voicemails about how I wouldn't be getting 45 kt headwinds if I was lower, you know, in the icing clouds. ;)

The trip home I couldn't make the day I had planned, but was able to make the trip the next day just fine.

If you plan on doing a 2-day trip (in the 172 that would make for a really, really long trip in one day unless winds were especially favorable) and then allowing a third day for weather, that will probably give you better odds, but if you do that be prepared to have to buy a last minute ticket or cancel plans entirely.

Or just a cold snap and winter winds that, based on your limitation of frequent stops, may mean that you stop at the same place three times.

where in kansas? that time of the year will be past thunderstorm season, probably for the midwest. could have to deal with snow and ice though. good thing to budget several days. you might need it.

or it could be severe clear all week. the joy of winter

I was going to go to Dodge (KDDC) but now I may be going to Chanute (KCNU) from Wings field (KLOM) and I will need to stop about every 230 miles (no wind).

W.KS has alot more pheasants than Chanute :yes::D. Last few yrs it has been hot/dry/no wind. There have been times when there was snow in the morn and 80* in the afternoon. We have seen all kinds of weather opening weekend out here in w.ks. It often changes w/in 12-24hrs too.

Wx will be the big thing, imho(if ya come to Dodge). Also, if ya go to Dodge, I'm guess'n you better have a room by now. Most places fill up fast.

Good luck where ever you go.:thumbsup:

Plan to do as much as possible per day rather than actually spreading the trip out over three days.

yea, that's what I want to do and stay over one night at a camp site or on the field if I can. I also need to look into the gun laws in every state I land at.

be prepared to have to buy a last minute ticket or cancel plans entirely.

Been there done that.:frown3:

W.KS has alot more pheasants than Chanute :yes::D. Last few yrs it has been hot/dry/no wind. There have been times when there was snow in the morn and 80* in the afternoon. We have seen all kinds of weather opening weekend out here in w.ks. It often changes w/in 12-24hrs too.

Wx will be the big thing, imho(if ya come to Dodge). Also, if ya go to Dodge, I'm guess'n you better have a room by now. Most places fill up fast.

Good luck where ever you go.:thumbsup:

Yea, last year I went with my Brother in Law we didn't see much due to the rain just before the season and the farmers could not harvest the Milo. We were in Dodge and that's where we are going this year but, my BIL lives near Chanute.

Bow hunting for pheasant? Interesting.

Ok, I decided to play on the AOPA flight planner......Yeah, a bit slow at work, actually tired of typing specification so I'm taking a play break.

KLOM 2G4 YRK 018 VNN KSAR SHY KCNU

2G4 - Garrett County Airport - Oakland, MD - 200m Fuel - $3.73
0I8 - Cynthiana-Harrison County Airport -Cynthiana, KY 240m - $3.30
KSAR - Sparta Airport-Hunter Field - Sparta, IL - 255m - $3.62

From this point your maybe 270 miles out from KCNU.

Ok, I'd love to stay and chat airplanes and stuff but my play time is over and I must be productive :loco:

Last edited:
Didn't see where Bob said what he was hunting, and I'm not smart enough to know what's in season. Al mentioned relative numbers of pheasant.

I assumed pheasant cause the 2nd weekend in Nov(14th) is opening weekend. Also, why else would anyone want to come to w.ks?:dunno::D Oh, there is Tony hunting thermals.:D

As far as take'n a gun. Who's gonna look and who's gonna care? Get fuel at little airports and just go. Would be obvious that he's go'n hunting w/all the orange he'll be pack'n...wouldn't it?

Fred Bear used to do it. It was awesome to watch.

It would not be that hard if you had a pointer as a dog but, mine flushes attached is a picture of her.

Attachments

• DSC_0083.jpg
    DSC_0083.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 4
Back