I was denied my medical certificate

The reference was to hiding information, resulting in Dr. Chien dropping you like "a hot rock."

In addition to hiding, continue to assign blame to others in place of taking action and solving the problem. (example, continue to take meds even when the AME years ago said, "if you wish to fly, no-no to SSRI")

Doc Bruce frequently expresses frustration with airmen at significant risk of CAD who refuse to follow the proper treatment protocol by saying, "but I feel fine, I don't need to do that". And folks with DUI's in their history who continue to consume to and have developed a functional tolerance, even though their BAC is in the red arc.

Last edited:
In addition to hiding, continue to assign blame to others in place of taking action and solving the problem. (example, continue to take meds even when the AME years ago said, "if you wish to fly, no-no to SSRI")

Doc Bruce frequently expresses frustration with airmen at significant risk of CAD who refuse to follow the proper treatment protocol by saying, "but I feel fine, I don't need to do that". And folks with DUI's in their history who continue to consume to and have developed a functional tolerance, even though their BAC is in the red arc.

A functioning addict is the first one to say "I don't have a problem". So, failure to accept responsibility for one's actions is a warning sign of problems.

Bruce runs into a lot of people who expect him to do all the work and make this "easy". So he turns a lot of people away. If you really want to work with him, go into the relationship with the willingness to do whatever he wants you to do. If you do that, you'll most likely get your medical.

If you can't do that, or if you believe that the customer is always right, then you should select another AME, because this relationship is not going to work out very well.

A functioning addict is the first one to say "I don't have a problem". So, failure to accept responsibility for one's actions is a warning sign of problems.

What do people who are not functioning addicts say?

Thanks for all of the responses. It just sucks! I'm as stable as they come. I went into his office 12 years ago, complained that I was feeling guilty when I had nothing to be guilty about, etc. Then he gave me that questionnaire, prescribed the SSRI and it has been that way ever since. It makes me very upset, especially since getting my PPL is something I've wanted to do as a kid.... AND my CFI didn't mention anything. He wanted me to pay for 32 hours of training that MAY be for nothing.

Short answer for your situation, it is possible to fly, with or without being on Celexa. There are a few more hoops to jump through with.

If you'd like some reading for what is in front of you:

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...process/exam_tech/item47/amd/antidepressants/

Key point that's been said before - your health is more important than flying.

What do people who are not functioning addicts say?

Something other than "two beers" to the cop that asks them how much they've had to drink.

Something other than "it was the Doctors fault" that I'm taking this medication.

What are you referring to, or mean, when you say putting me in a hot rock scenario?

It means by exhibiting the symptomology that is the reason the condition is grounding you disqualify yourself from the exemption.

This story is all too common. My perception is that a large and growing of fraction of younger people were on some DQing rx as teenagers.

I think this is a factor too. I'm on the parent side, but I know to many that were quick to 'accept' the drug route for their kids. Not saying that there aren't those that may need something. I just think they are over prescribed for behavior that isn't outside the realm of normalcy.

I know one boy much more mellow than either of our two who has been on something since he was young. I'm sure the big pharmas would like to have all of us on some type of prescription meds. No I'm not a doctor and didn't stay at the Holiday Inn last night.

Big pharma has all the parents on statins. Useless harmful make ya dumber drugs.

Something other than "it was the Doctors fault" that I'm taking this medication.

There is something to it.

Try going to a doctor and tell him you feel a little down lately. (like everyone in the world including all pilots do sometime)
Docs hand that stuff out like candy. I barely know anyone who ISN'T on some sort of AD.

Question - what's your definition between a functioning addict and a functioning non-addict?

The functioning non addict can still maintain the same presence even without the drug. At that point the functioning addict loses other function in search of the drug. Most people don't realize that if they work in any sized population above 20, there's a really good chance they work with one junkie.

Last edited:
Society would be better off if we just supplied addicts their dope of choice free.

Question - what's your definition between a functioning addict and a functioning non-addict?

The functioning non addict can actually quit using whatever they are using, and doesn't bother emphatically telling everyone that they can stop using.

Thanks for all of the responses. It just sucks! I'm as stable as they come. I went into his office 12 years ago, complained that I was feeling guilty when I had nothing to be guilty about, etc. Then he gave me that questionnaire, prescribed the SSRI and it has been that way ever since. It makes me very upset, especially since getting my PPL is something I've wanted to do as a kid.... AND my CFI didn't mention anything. He wanted me to pay for 32 hours of training that MAY be for nothing.

I wouldn't say it was for nothing, even if you can't get the cert. You had some experiences. You got to learn to fly an airplane. You can still take dual lessons from time to time. That is something.

Not that I can relate to the OP's story but I do feel bad for him and I'm not a fan of this "doctor knows better than you" vibe I'm getting from some of the replies. Doctors these days are so quick at diagnosing depression and other mental illnesses in pretty much anyone. Who's never felt down over the death of a family member, breakup or other life event? Why does a life event suddenly become a "mental condition"? It's very scary that as a young person like the OP, you can make a seemingly harmless decision as you're trying to maybe get through a hard time, and it turns out that those good intentions come to haunt you later in life. One time I went to see the Air Force recruiter and I was surprised about some of the questions that came up, like have you ever been diagnosed with ADD or ADHD, those are apparently disqualifying factors. And yet growing up as a kid, I knew so many kids whose parents had taken them to the doctor because they didn't focus in class and were diagnosed with the condition. I have no doubts 99% of those kids were completely normal and just didn't find class interesting. I'm sure those kids will be delighted to learn about the doors that they and their parents unknowingly closed for them.

Last edited:
The functioning non addict can actually quit using whatever they are using, and doesn't bother emphatically telling everyone that they can stop using.

So you define them in terms of future behavior.

I sincerely ask because I've never heard any distinguish between functioning addict and non-addict. Doesn't the definition of addict include a certain level of self harm and disfunction?

I thought functioning addicts consistently stayed employed and appeared 'normal.'

So you define them in terms of future behavior.

I sincerely ask because I've never heard any distinguish between functioning addict and non-addict. Doesn't the definition of addict include a certain level of self harm and disfunction?

Under the DSM-V changes, it is possible to be diagnosed with a "mild" Substance Use Disorder (which incorporates the DSM-IV Substance Dependence and Substance Abuse disorders) with only two criteria over a 12-month period; so it is possible to be diagnosed solely on the basis of, for example, (1) drinking more than one intended, and (2) craving alcohol.

About half of the criteria, however, do have to do with actual adverse effects of substance use; so pretty much any diagnosis worse than "mild" would require some evidence of harmful consequences of substance use.

Rich

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back