I want to hear "the rest of the story"...

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
Code:
IDENTIFICATION
Regis#: 9117T Make/Model: C180 Description: 180, Skywagon 180 (U-17C)
Date: 10/28/2006 Time: 1651

Event Type: Accident Highest Injury: None Mid Air: N Missing: N
Damage: Substantial

DESCRIPTION
ACFT LOST POWER, FLOATS FELL OFF, TWO PASSENGERS JUMPED OUT 
INTO THE LAKE, THE PILOT WAS THEN ABLE TO LAND AT A GRASS STIP, 
FOREST LAKE, MN

INJURY DATA Total Fatal: 0
# Crew: 1 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk: 
# Pass: 2 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk: 
# Grnd: Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk: 

WEATHER: METAR KROS 281636Z AUTO 29009KT 10SM CLR 06/M03 A2978

OTHER DATA
Activity: Pleasure Phase: Cruise Operation: OTHER

Departed: FOREST LAKE, MN Dep Date: Dep. Time: 
Destination: Flt Plan: Wx Briefing: 
Last Radio Cont: 
Last Clearance: 

FAA FSDO: MINNEAPOLIS, MN (GL15) Entry date: 10/30/2006

How does an aircraft losing power make it's floats "fall off"? Did the passengers jump at the pilots' direction, at a low altitude over the water, as slow as he could fly, feeling that was safer than sticking with the aircraft til the landing was complete?

Anybody know more about this incident? I want to hear the rest of the story!

That's hoot! I only say that because it appears no one was injured. Good find, Troy.

Perhaps checking the areas newspapers?

I wonder what losing power and losing the floats have in common? Seems a little odd to say the least.
lets see, crap our engine quit, quick you two crawl out and pull the pins on the floats so we can glide longer? Oh yeah since you are out there, jump into the little pond just in front of the runway as I start my flair???

KT

I saw that on the news in Philly yesterday. Bizzar to say the least. Floats ripped right the heck off.

They jumped into a lake in MN this time of year? Sheesh, you'd have better luck with a crippled airplane.

Obviously you people have'nt had some of the mechanics i have had the pleasure to meet.Fortunately i do my own maintenance now.

it's being dissected a bit on the red board. I think the latest theory is that the women were on the floats (go figure), and their weight there caused the float tips to submerge and it was sort of "katie bar the door" from that point on...

etsisk said:
it's being dissected a bit on the red board. I think the latest theory is that the women were on the floats (go figure), and their weight there caused the float tips to submerge and it was sort of "katie bar the door" from that point on...

Now I understand, ...if they had their bikinis on.

Back