I want to go fly so bad

texasclouds

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Mark
Currently training for PPL, 15 hrs about to start cross country. I look to the skies and have a longing to go fly. Stick and rudder in a Cub, Citabria, Champ, Maul, or the like. But I cannot. I have no license, nor do I own a plane. My only chance is 1-2 times a week for 1 hour at a time with my CFI in a 172. FollowIng rules, using instruments, talking on the radio, pushing buttons, twisting knobs. One day.

Have you solo’d yet? That might give you oppertunity to fly more often. 15 hours and you’re starting cross countries? I didn’t start until 30+ hours. I’m a student as well.

At least you get to fly 1-2 hours a week. My flight school and rental planes are grounded and the CFI’s were fired. FBO drama. I think I might have to buy a plane to finish.

Good luck!

If you are restricted in hours you can fly,you have to be patient,it will come with time.

Yes I know I am just itching to go on some adventures. I found a few contacts for upset recovery training and tailwheel training next.

You know you gotta do all those things when you’re flying by yourself too right?

Not when you fly a Cub. No electric, no radio, hand prop. Basic flying is the best. My Cub gets flown more than anything else.cub 1.png

You should visit with Bryan. He flies bad quite a bit.

My only chance is 1-2 times a week for 1 hour at a time with my CFI in a 172.

Just remember all the people who get to fly zero times a week. Who just drive cars. Where you can pull back on the steering wheel and absolutely nothing interesting happens... <sigh>

If your ever in Brenham stop over. I have the Cub, Stearman, Pitts, airbike and a few others
You in Bryan? Taking lessons at Coulter?

Awesome! Coulter has a flying club I intend to join after PPL. Right now I am using Brazos Valley Flight Services at Easterwood in an attempt to finish training in 3 months. I'm trying to fly 2-3 times a week, but weather, cancellations, etc. has slowed my progress a bit. Maybe we can meet up on a Saturday morning. I live in Wheelock and work in Hearne. If I do buy a plane I would want to hangar it in Hearne so I could fly after work. I have a love for high wing tail draggers, so I'd love to get some airtime in a few models to help decide which one I want to go with. Then rent a 172 for cross country or when we need extra seats. I'm also toying with the idea to trying to make a career out of piloting.

Awesome! Coulter has a flying club I intend to join after PPL. Right now I am using Brazos Valley Flight Services at Easterwood in an attempt to finish training in 3 months. I'm trying to fly 2-3 times a week, but weather, cancellations, etc. has slowed my progress a bit. Maybe we can meet up on a Saturday morning. I live in Wheelock and work in Hearne. If I do buy a plane I would want to hangar it in Hearne so I could fly after work. I have a love for high wing tail draggers, so I'd love to get some airtime in a few models to help decide which one I want to go with. Then rent a 172 for cross country or when we need extra seats. I'm also toying with the idea to trying to make a career out of piloting.

Come over. I will take you flying in some different stuff. I have a J-3 and a nice Cessna 140 also in the high wing tailwheel category. They are both awesome in different ways.

Shawn,

I'm volunteering with a barn removal project near Franklin Saturday 0800-1200. If you plan to be at the airfield Sat/Sun after 3pm, I probably could meet you then.

Also, did you hear about the Hilltop Lakes Fly-In? It is near Franklin and I believe it is this Saturday 0900-1300. You'd get free BBQ if you bring your plane.

About 8-10 years ago I wanted to get into flying but came up with too many excuses about the cost and my lack of available funds. I think it was a couple thousand cheaper back then; however, the dollar ain't worth as much as it used to be so maybe is a wash. So instead I got into R/C airplanes. I've built several kits and really had alot of fun flying them. Then we moved from Bryan to Wheelock and I just kinda quit flying the R/C planes. I was doing just fine until on a family vacation near Lake Tahoe last July, we stopped by the Truckee Airshow. That show was amazing and I talked with the pilot/salesman who was displaying a Pilatus PC-12 NG. He got me all amped up about flying and I signed up for lessons that next Monday.

Here are some pictures of my Cub. 48" wingspan, 18.5 oz weight, electric. The pilot is Sara Palin.

10-27-2010 pics 026.JPG 3-16-2011 031.JPG

Here are some pictures of my Cub. 48" wingspan, 18.5 oz weight, electric. The pilot is Sara Palin.
So only right-hand trafic? :) Great looking Cub...I've got the Sig 1/6-scale version that I converted to electric.

Seriously, the rc stuff is great. I found that a lot transferred from models to full scale...like energy management when you get into the ESC cut-off and have to glide back to the field from numerous different positions/altitudes in the pattern. Ingrains that reflex to push the nose down immediately!

Yea, the flying part has been pretty easy for me. All the extra details are brand new though. One big difference is how big of a deal it is to crash 1/100 flights. R/C, well you can get out the epoxy and buy a $10 prop. Real life, well...

Back