I Want To Fly A Helicopter, Not Look At A Bunch Of Crazy Dials

Bob's credibility is blown! :eek:

I guess any Tom, Dick and Harry Potter can fly a helo. :D

Funny. Not at all realistic. But funny.

Actually, for VFR flight you're supposed to keep your eyes out of the boat, just like a fixed-wing. But you also better do fairly frequent scans of the panel, particulary erpm and rrpm tachs, engine health gages, fuel, and also those pretty red and yellow warning lights.

A friend of mine was flying an AStar on an EMS mission when one of his turbine temps started going high (over water yet). He entered a precautionary autorotation, found that at the bottom it had come down enough to let him do a power on recovery, and air taxied to the shore. Turns out that the turbine had injested one of those mylar balloons that kids like to let loose. Ignoring the panel in this case would have had bad consequences!

Besides which, whats complicated about this panel? :D

Attachments

• pilotside2.jpg
    pilotside2.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Bob's credibility is blown! :eek:

I guess any Tom, Dick and Harry Potter can fly a helo. :D

Actually, when people ask me which is harder to fly, fixed- or rotary-wing, I answer that rotorcraft are much easier to fly. They never believe me, though, but it's true :yes:

None of that nonsense you have to go through to land a fixed-wing, what with flaps and cowl flaps and carb heat, gear, prop, abeam the numbers, 45 degree sight picture, then turn base, fly by the numbers, flare at the right time, etc. :no:

Alls I gotta do is slow down to around 80 kt, when I want to start my descent, lower the collective. Then just manage my airspeed and descent rate with collective and cyclic. Which sounds complicated by isn't (just keep your intended landing spot in one place on the wind screen, and just ride that baby down). All of which takes no thought at all. I don't even need to judge anything by the appearance of a runway (I don't use 'em much anyway). As I start getting slow take a quick peek at the ASI and VSI to make sure I'm not getting myself into a settling with power situation :)hairraise: ), and then come to a hover.

Even maintaining a hover is a piece of cake. No thought is required, and it's easy to hover, work the radio, and talk to PAX all at the same time. Although, I must admit it's a real bear to learn for most of us. Once mastered, there's nothing to it!

So my credibility is still intact :D

:heli:

Bob, here is the kind of helicopter cockpits i deal with at work
Cockpit.JPG

although the project i am on now only has 2 MFDs.

im sure you'd have no problem bob. from what i hear if you can fly a robbie you can fly anything. the helo im working on is the Bell ARH. Not much more than a 407 with guns, hellfire, or rockets (pick 2)

im sure you'd have no problem bob. from what i hear if you can fly a robbie you can fly anything. the helo im working on is the Bell ARH. Not much more than a 407 with guns, hellfire, or rockets (pick 2)

Probably. I've flown a 407. I liked it. Somehow I don't think I could raise the $3 mill to buy one though :D

thats right, what's up with all that blinky-blinky nonsense. Running out of gas? When was the last time that happened? Besides, everyone knows there are still a few gallons left when the needle is pegged on E.

Hoo haw, guffaw, too funny.

Last edited:

I thought that was a Bell. It has the same MFD setup as the AMS system in the S92. Talk about too many buzzers and dials and needles and colors and, and and. I tell you what though, once you learn it, you love it.

Too bad they left the missiles and guns off the 92 - could have come in handy for me a time or two.

I thought that was a Bell. It has the same MFD setup as the AMS system in the S92. Talk about too many buzzers and dials and needles and colors and, and and. I tell you what though, once you learn it, you love it.

Too bad they left the missiles and guns off the 92 - could have come in handy for me a time or two.

the picture i posted is not the bell ARH. the bell ARH only has 2 MFDs and 2 CDUs. the cockpit is not quite as complicated as the picture I posted.

Back