I too did my first solo today!

Boss1714

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Boss1714
Got in the cockpit, as usual, did a couple of touch and gos in the pattern and my CFI said "Pull over to the tarmac, Im gettin out. See you after to solid landings". I was shocked, needless to say. Continued by taking off, did a couple of touch and go's/Go-arounds, then put her on the ground safely with 2 full stops, SAFELY. They wernt pretty by any means, but I got her down on the ground. All after 14.7 total hours. Got back to the hangar, performed my shutdown checklist, and there was my instructor with scissors and a shooter of Jerimiah Weed. Cut the shirt tail off, threw back the shooter, and proceeded to a post flight debreif, with a great feeling of accomplishment! Loving every minute of it!

Congrats.

Damn nice touch, the Weed. Ha.

I didn't even get my shirt tail cut off. Just a giant grin from ear to ear.

Congratulations! When did my solo they did not cut my shirt, they did give me a flight school shirt with the date on it.

Welcome to the club. I've told others...you will never forget the day you soloed.

When you solo a tailwheel, do they cut the seat of your pants out? :rofl:

Oh, and congrats!!

Congrats! I did my solo last weekend too. However, I didn't get my shirt cut. :D

Congrats! I did my solo last weekend too. However, I didn't get my shirt cut. :D

Congrats to you too.

I solo'd back in 1975 or so and don't remember any big deal. Too bad. I think making a big deal is neat!

I solo'd the Luscombe a few months back and it was a thrill and I got an "attaboy" or the equivalent from my CFI (and a sign-off) so that will have to do.

I rung a bell back in the flight school when I soloed and got a handshake from anyone in the school at the time. Congrats to boss1714 on your solo. Flying an airplane and returning safely with a story to tell is not something many people can claim to have done. Congrats!

Congrats to the OP!:rockon:
Every time I read one of these "first solo" threads, it takes me right back. For me it was an almost anticlimactic and quiet day but I was intensely proud of myself. It was like giving myself an awesome gift that I'd always wanted. :D

It's a shame to read about all the folks that did NOT get their shirt tails cut. I still have that shirt tail from 21 years ago.

BTW, congrats to the OP. Keep up the good work and we look forward to your checkride write up.

It's a shame to read about all the folks that did NOT get their shirt tails cut. I still have that shirt tail from 21 years ago.

BTW, congrats to the OP. Keep up the good work and we look forward to your checkride write up.

I know. Some "cool" folks think that stuff is corny but it makes for a great memory. Wish I got my shirttail removed :( I would have kept it; I have all my training materials from 1975.

Congrats, no shirt tail here either. No photo, no shirt tail, no name on the board. Myself and another CFI had to do all of those things. My name is still on the board (Private Pilot and Solo are listed until you get bumped off). It is fun to walk by and see the "congratulations to...." which faces out, at the airport, near the on-field restaurant.

What are you going to do with your shirt tail?

Congratulations!

We did the shirt cutting deal, as well as a dousing with the hose!

Congrats! Now I too know what it actually feels like. :D

Congrats, no shirt tail here either. No photo, no shirt tail, no name on the board. Myself and another CFI had to do all of those things. My name is still on the board (Private Pilot and Solo are listed until you get bumped off). It is fun to walk by and see the "congratulations to...." which faces out, at the airport, near the on-field restaurant.

What are you going to do with your shirt tail?

Now this beats the heck out of a crummy t-shirt tail:

first_airplane_solo_tattoo_michelle_hall_3.jpg

I knew I was getting close when my CFI told me,"you better start wearing a shirt you don't mind losing over the next several lessons." I was so green (and didn't do forums) he had to explain it to me:lol:

Back