I told ya! WE AIN'T SELLING! What are you gonna do about it?

That has to be England's version of the National Enquirer. Has to be.

It became clear when I realized: this is happening in China. Nice.

===

Illustrative, by the way, of why Chinese manufacturers are able to profoundly undercut domestic ones in manufacturing cost, and also, illustrative of the unprincipled ruthlessness one might expect from those same manufacturers once their unfair competition practices drive all remaining manufacturing from our shores.

Ever land at Narita outside of Tokyo? There is still a house in the middle of the airport. There is a protest sign on it, it is surrounded by barbed wire fences but is still occupied.

I think I found that house (Narita/Google Earth)

Attachments

• House at Narita.kmz
    637 bytes · Views: 44
For those of you who know New Brunswick, NJ, there's a pub there named Timulti's. The owner basically refused to sell when the rest of the block sold out to be turned into an office building.

So.... the building was built - lock, stock, and barrel - around the pub. To the best of my knowledge, Timulti's is still there....

Now there is a creapy mental picture! I wonder if sporty's makes exhaust covers with locks for small airplanes. LOL

There's a commercial making the email rounds that shows just this sort of thing.. really creepy. I'm sure it's on youtube somewhere.

For those of you who know New Brunswick, NJ,
I was born there and grew up within 10 miles but I probably wouldn't recognize anything at all today. Don't remember any pubs. :dunno:

For those of you who know New Brunswick, NJ, there's a pub there named Timulti's. The owner basically refused to sell when the rest of the block sold out to be turned into an office building.

So.... the building was built - lock, stock, and barrel - around the pub. To the best of my knowledge, Timulti's is still there....

The original where this happened is Hurley's in Manhattan. Rockefeller had to build Rockefeller center around the tavern. It's still there. http://cityinsights.com/newyork/hurley's.htm errr maybe it isn't still there.

My aunt owned a house in Phoenix where they did the same. When I visited I looked up at office towers on both sides from her back yard....where she was raising chickens.

The original where this happened is Hurley's in Manhattan. Rockefeller had to build Rockefeller center around the tavern. It's still there. http://cityinsights.com/newyork/hurley's.htm errr maybe it isn't still there.

My aunt owned a house in Phoenix where they did the same. When I visited I looked up at office towers on both sides from her back yard....where she was raising chickens.
Even older is a tiny brownstone nestled into a corner of Macy's at 34th and Broadway since 1902.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macy's

Attachments

• 300px-MacysDepartmentStoreNewyork.jpg
    300px-MacysDepartmentStoreNewyork.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 25
I saw an apartment builder do this in Mesa. Older couple that just wouldn't sell. Spanos offered much more than what the home was worth, but they stood fast. Spanos designed the three story apartments around the house and began construction after many meetings and telling the couple they would build around them. About half way through the project, the lady passed away. The husband then came back and asked if he could sell to the developer. Unfortunately, plans had been redesigned, construction of utilities and infrastructure had begun and city approvals were all in. Construction loan had a time limit. To re-design, re contract and get new approvals and let the construction loan run while all this took place would have cost three or four times the cost of the house. So, the developer just finished and rented the apartments.

The home later sold for about one eighth of what the developer had offered.

Just a sad situation.

Never understood it completely except the older lady just loved it and wanted to die there, and she got her wish.

Best,

Dave

We've got a situation like this down the road in Lewiston. A guy didn't want to sell his house, so a big business just built up around it (even though I've driven by it a bunch of times, I don't remember what the business is--either a home supply yard with lumber, etc., or cars or maybe both). He's got 10' fences most of the way around to shield him from the business, but his house fronts very close to the street, so his lot isn't a whole lot bigger than the house plus the garage (in front of which he's got room for about 3 cars).

It's funny/sad/whatever, but I can tell you, no one's gonna want to buy that house.

Judy

The house is gone. They did a midnight raid ala Ritchie Daley.

Her husband, Yang Wu, stayed in the house until the demolition, hanging out banners reading: "The legal private property of citizens cannot be violated."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/6520317.stm
Who knew the Chinese could claim they have property rights?

What is the world coming to when the Chinese copy duh Chicago Mayor?

Who knew the Chinese could claim they have property rights?

What is the world coming to when the Chinese copy duh Chicago Mayor?

I am surprised that a citizen of the people's paradise would be able to claim property rights. The company I work for was the first non-Chinese Government entity to own property in China since before the revolution.

I am not surprised about the Daley tactics, where do you think he got the ideas from?

The house is gone, but the NY Times reports it was not torn down by the Daley (de)Construction Company.

"The couple reportedly negotiated a deal with the real estate developer that gives them a new apartment and a sizable compensation package." -NYTimes

The fact that this happened in China - "this" meaning that the common man can enforce property rights against the government - is big news, IMO. Things are changing!

-Skip

The house is gone, but the NY Times reports it was not torn down by the Daley (de)Construction Company.

"The couple reportedly negotiated a deal with the real estate developer that gives them a new apartment and a sizable compensation package." -NYTimes

The fact that this happened in China - "this" meaning that the common man can enforce property rights against the government - is big news, IMO. Things are changing!

-Skip

A few people have said it's amazing that this couple got more rights and consideration than a citizen in the U.S. would have. There are MANY cases here in the U.S. where developers worked with towns to grab whatever they wanted for whatever they wanted to pay.

Back