I think I've found my solution

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
This won't happen for a long time....

My friend has been bugging me to let him work on my truck all the time. He loves working on cars, and I do too, but I usually keep him from it so that I can do it myself.

As such, I thought maybe he'd be the perfect person to help me build an airplane. I've been looking as a dream for a while, but none of the planes struck me really. I liked the RVs, but they're only 2 seaters. I kinda like the Lancairs, but way too expensive.

I found my dream now. There's no avoiding it I think. The Zenair CH640. It fits my mission profile perfectly, and I think it always will fit it, even later on.

Just out of ignorance, what is the spec's on this a/c. Maybe you could post a link to the spec's. Looks Per-dy though...

Brent

Steve said:
http://www.zenair.com/

For a little more speed in a 4-place kit plane I'd go with http://www.vansaircraft.com/public/rv-10int.htm but you're looking at a six-cylinder vs four for the additional 50 mph.

I'm guessing that the Van's and the Zenair planes are somewhat different in character to fly, as well as other differences such as runway useage, etc. But, I AM guessing. I'd love to hear the straight scoop from folks who have flown them.

Joe Williams said:
I'm guessing that the Van's and the Zenair planes are somewhat different in character to fly, as well as other differences such as runway useage, etc. But, I AM guessing. I'd love to hear the straight scoop from folks who have flown them.

Therein lies part of my problem. I know people around here that are building the RV series, but I know of no one that is building the CH640, or any other Zenith Air stuff.

Side by side comparison of the two aircraft make me lean towards the CH640 tho because the RV uses a much bigger engine and not a whole lot more speed.

The other big advantage is that the CH640 is built in sections, so I wouldn't have to buy the whole thing at once, rather, I could do it in parts.

Edit: Oh yeah, I hate joysticks. The Ch640 has a yoke. That could almost do it right there.

Last edited:
One question to ask yourself, Nick:

Do you want to own a plane?

Or do you want to build a plane?

If you want the former, a kit is probably not going to make you happy. However, if you really, REALLY want to actually BUILD your own plane, then go for it, as long as you know just how much it involves and, more importantly, costs.

Kit planes only look cheaper initially, until you measure the time involved and things like, oh, the engine...

Greebo said:

If you want the former, a kit is probably not going to make you happy. However, if you really, REALLY want to actually BUILD your own plane, then go for it, as long as you know just how much it involves and, more importantly, costs.

Kit planes only look cheaper initially, until you measure the time involved and things like, oh, the engine...

My deepest, darkest, airplane dream is to someday be able to build my own plane.

Greebo said:

I really want to own. I enjoy building things. I do think, however, that considering that I'd be getting a new plane, not a used one, that the price is actually considerably less. That, however, is not my motivating factor. Instead, I feel that it would work great for me to have a plane that I can perform maintenence on myself. I also think it would be great to learn as much as I would.

Of couse, this is just an idea I'm kicking around. If I can find the right plane that looks like something I'd be willing to sink the money into, I'd buy instead.

Greebo said:

I think you're exactly right!

Having built one airplane (well, it was sort of an airplane - Rans S12XL) and failed to finish two (RV-6 and F1 Rocket), here's what I say to people who tell me they want to build:

Close your eyes and picture the airplane you think you want to build. Think of yourself in that picture with that airplane. Now, do you see yourself at the controls, or do you see yourself with a rivet gun in your hand? Most people are either builders or fliers, but not both. I have a few friends who are both, but not many.

I have discovered I'm not a builder. I have the skills and the tools, but every hour I've spent building I'd gladly trade for a half hour flying.

Chip

NickDBrennan said:
I really want to own. I enjoy building things. I do think, however, that considering that I'd be getting a new plane, not a used one, that the price is actually considerably less. That, however, is not my motivating factor. Instead, I feel that it would work great for me to have a plane that I can perform maintenence on myself. I also think it would be great to learn as much as I would.

Of couse, this is just an idea I'm kicking around. If I can find the right plane that looks like something I'd be willing to sink the money into, I'd buy instead.
Nick,

Most kit communities have very loyal and enthusiastic builders who will HAPPILY invite you over to see what's involved - if you really think building is for you, contact the kit company and see if they'll point you towards some current project builders and spend time with them.

I, too, considered building - I was drawn to the Glasstar, myself, but after talking to some of its current builders and digging deeper, the 2 years to build it and the extra $30-60,000 or so worth of stuff that DOESN'T come in the kit persuaded me that when I own, I'll be buying. Used. :)

ohhhhhhhhhh, wow, go for the RV-10. Nice specs. However there are, like you said, a lot of RV's out there. Personally, in my deapest heart of hearts I lust extremely for Chips airplane. I WILL have one someday! The two seat version would make my Mountian View, AR trip so much better.:dance:

Brent

I've priced RV's out several times in several different variations and you really cant build a fast IFR capable one for less than $60,000. A buddy of mine put an rv-8a together with a non-certified o-360 from airpower and a composite fixed pitch prop and he said he had about $65,000 in it before he was done and it wasn't an IFR capable machine. You could probably find a nice mooney m20 e for that without giving up all of your free time for the next 3 years.
The partnership thing with a certified a/c is the way to go. Only takes two guys to make it affordable.
Pete

I have been checking out the Van's Aircraft site. They now produce a rv-10 kit that wil haul 4 people with a 540 260hp. It appears that it is pricey but claims 201 smph. Now that is quick. I am going to build this one someday with the help of my A/P and the lottery.

Hmm...4 place, 201mph. Sounds like a Mooney 201 ( J model ). $100,000 (Vans estimated fly away price) get ya a nice one:) Cool points for the retract gear as a bonus:)

Joseph DeFelice said:
I have been checking out the Van's Aircraft site. They now produce a rv-10 kit that wil haul 4 people with a 540 260hp. It appears that it is pricey but claims 201 smph. Now that is quick. I am going to build this one someday with the help of my A/P and the lottery.

pete177 said:
Hmm...4 place, 201mph. Sounds like a Mooney 201 ( J model ). $100,000 (Vans estimated fly away price) get ya a nice one:) Cool points for the retract gear as a bonus:)

Van's gets you that without the complexity of the retract gear.

Greg Bockelman said:
Van's gets you that without the complexity of the retract gear.

Nuthin complex about retract gear...up at takeoff down at landing:) Very simple:) Besides, all real airplanes tuck in their gear:).....and ofcourse have wings that are either below or behind the pilot:) The rest are just trainers.

wow - thats a cool plane...I'll have to look into that'n too.

NickDBrennan said:
Therein lies part of my problem. I know people around here that are building the RV series, but I know of no one that is building the CH640, or any other Zenith Air stuff.

Side by side comparison of the two aircraft make me lean towards the CH640 tho because the RV uses a much bigger engine and not a whole lot more speed.

The other big advantage is that the CH640 is built in sections, so I wouldn't have to buy the whole thing at once, rather, I could do it in parts.

Edit: Oh yeah, I hate joysticks. The Ch640 has a yoke. That could almost do it right there.

208vs157:confused: :confused: That's nearly a mile a minute faster. That's more than "not a whole lot more speed", that's what, near 32% faster? 180kts (3 miles a minute) is my criteria for a personal cruiser, and the RV 10 almost makes it for cruise. As to stick vs yoke, that's personal pref I guess, but I'll make a wager you don't have a lot of time flying a stick. Most everyone I know with substantial time at both much prefers the stick especially with a left hand quadrant. BTW, All Van's planes are also available in componenent kits IIRC.

Back