I think I'm in love!

Keane

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
ErichKeane
After earning my PP-ASEL last weekend, I finally got a chance to take someone up!

Yesterday I got checked out in the Cherokee 180 at 7S3 in anticipation of this afternoon.

I took 2 friends from my home (7s3) to AST (Astoria, OR) for a quick trip. We picked up some smoked salmon, a quick lunch, and a bit of a touristy trip, and flew back.

The Cherokee is everything I would ever want in a plane. Fast, great climb, great capacity, and a perfect cabin. It was perfect!

Overall, a fantastic journey today, even though the weather made us take the long way around (we had to follow the columbia river for a while, instead of going direct), we had a fantastic time! I hope the rest of my time as a private pilot is as amazing as this!

I was in a 3-way co-ownership of a '64 Cherokee 180 for almost 4 years. Great plane. Pretty cramped in the back seat (before mid-70's stretch), but otherwise no complaints. I got my IFR, part of my Commercial, part of my CFI, and my CFII in that plane.

Ah, nice little trip down amnesia lane...

Yep, my first plane was a 69 Cherokee 180. Good overall cheap(ish) fun.

I have a 66 Cherokee 180-C and I tell people it's idiot proof which is why I am able to fly it. Very stable, very dependable and just a great first airplane. I'm working on my IR in it and feel very comfortable. Now if I could just feel comfortable enough with the written to get it out of the way, life would be good.

You can see mine in the latest Gaston's thread.

I sit with the seat pretty far up, so the guy who rode in the back said it was comfortable.

The handbrake instead of toe brakes were a little confusing at first, and the goofy trim knob on the roof is weird, but I got used to both, and am a big fan.

Though, I've only ever flown a C-150, so I assume I'll fall in love with a bunch of other stuff soon.

I assume I'll fall in love with a bunch of other stuff soon.

Heres the way it works, Kinda like an addiction. First you will take anything with wings then you want a bit more speed then you want faster and bigger ie more capacity then you want something that has a better fancier panel then you want something that can do grass, then you toy with a multi then you think hey a single engine sea would be a awesome endorsement then you think I want fabric covered and old school and somethng low and slow would be just great. That does not mean however that you still don't want all the other stuff too. :D

Heres the way it works, Kinda like an addiction. First you will take anything with wings then you want a bit more speed then you want faster and bigger ie more capacity then you want something that has a better fancier panel then you want something that can do grass, then you toy with a multi then you think hey a single engine sea would be a awesome endorsement then you think I want fabric covered and old school and somethng low and slow would be just great. That does not mean however that you still don't want all the other stuff too. :D

You left out Helicopters adam!!

The Free Bird, my Cherokee 140, is wonderful. I admit the back seats are small, but after a few months you'll have run out of friends to take flying and not use it at all. My airplane partner was insistent on a back seat and hasn't used it in years. Nowadays it's mostly used for Young Eagles. I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of non YE passengers I have had in the back.

The Cherokee is everything I would ever want in a plane. Fast, great climb, great capacity, and a perfect cabin. It was perfect!

Though, I've only ever flown a C-150, so I assume I'll fall in love with a bunch of other stuff soon.

And that is why you think a Cherokee is fast. Compared to a C-150, my Jeep Wrangler is fast. :D

Glad you had a good time with your friends. It only gets better.

The Cherokee is everything I would ever want in a plane.

Give it a couple months. ;)

Fast, great climb, great capacity, and a perfect cabin.

Ahh, I remember the good ol' days when I thought a Cherokee was fast. Sigh. :)

The handbrake instead of toe brakes were a little confusing at first, and the goofy trim knob on the roof is weird

I've got a bunch of time in Piper Archers. The Archer is a Cherokee 180 that's got a tapered wing, bigger back seat, toe brakes, and a regular trim wheel. Great airplanes!

It was perfect!

And THAT is what really matters! :yes:

Last edited:
Back