I think I'm in love...

AdamZ said:
Nice plane! Just curious as to why you would have a DG and and HSI?
Don't know in this case. My father-in-law installed a dual panel in his Bo V-tail, though, with electric AI and HSI on pilot side and vacuum AI and DG on copilot side.

AdamZ said:
Note the owner has electric and vac attitude gyros. The HSI needs electricity. I'm thinking the HSI and elec AI were added. By retaining the original vac DG, you have redundancy in case of electrical failure.

Wow that is quite a list of goodies in the 185.

As NC19143 posted. It looks like it has not been hauling a lot of things and people to the outback.

I did note that it has two airpseed indicators; one in knots and one in mph. might want to swap the mph out for another in knots.

With floats it would be a lot of fun.

John J

AdamZ said:

DG is vacuum, HSI is elec, this way he has electric and vacuum of AI &DG functions.

NC19143 said:
This one is a Dr status symbol, it has too many goodies to work off airport like it was designed to do.

$210k WoW. it sold new for $18k, A friend has one here bought new in 1968 for that.

For that kind of money you'd be afraid to take it where it can go. Don't you wish you would have squirreled away a couple of those at 1968 prices?

I think I'm going crazy - I do not see a DG besides the HSI in any of the pictures...

NickDBrennan said:
I think I'm going crazy - I do not see a DG besides the HSI in any of the pictures...

2 instruments to the right of the HSI.

lol....I thought that was an ADF...sigh.

Purty plane Brian! You thinking about it?

NickDBrennan said:
Purty plane Brian! You thinking about it?
Nah. I'm just drooling. I like older planes that have been updated enough to get modern but still keep their character. And I've always been a fan of the C180/185 line. They remind me of my Ford F250 Diesel: I may not get there fast but I can carry anything I want and take it anywhere I want. :D

I'd be scared of scratching this one, though. And I've seen decent examples of the same plane for almost half the price.

Henning said:
For that kind of money you'd be afraid to take it where it can go. Don't you wish you would have squirreled away a couple of those at 1968 prices?

In today's dollars $18k from 1968 would be worth a little over 100 K so at $210k you'd have beat the CPI by about 100%, ignoring "little" things like insurance and hangar costs.

lancefisher said:
In today's dollars $18k from 1968 would be worth a little over 100 K so at $210k you'd have beat the CPI by about 100%, ignoring "little" things like insurance and hangar costs.

Everyone forgets to factor in the expense side....what would be the minimum cost to store the aircraft so that it isn't a rusted hulk when you go to sell your "investment".

Len

Len Lanetti said:
Everyone forgets to factor in the expense side....what would be the minimum cost to store the aircraft so that it isn't a rusted hulk when you go to sell your "investment".

Len

How many people would buy an aircraft that was not flown for 35-40 years?

you'd have a hard time selling it to most of the readers here.

Even if it were pickled and fully prepped for long term storage? Or maybe I should say, restored and flown a while after being pulled from proper long term storage?

Len Lanetti said:

Len

The actual storage building would vary in cost, but as to 'pickling' the plane for storage, a few hundred dollars tops.

Back