I think I met a famous pilot yesterday

Again, what an amazing day to fly!!! What gorgeous scenery! Thanks for posting that video. Gorgeous.

When the coast is that clear (no clouds) the water actually sparkles from all the sunlight. Just awesome. You can sort of hear me in the video say "pretty water".

When the coast is that clear (no clouds) the water actually sparkles from all the sunlight. Just awesome. You can sort of hear me in the video say "pretty water".
I actually did hear you say that! And yes, the water sparkles-- and that's a rare thing to see in Northern California, right? What a day you had!

Wow,Thanks! Can you lend me 2 grand? Pretty please:rolleyes2:
You don't necessarily need 2 grand. For 20 bucks you can get a chance at this... they'll also give you up to $500 for airfare to Kissimmee.

http://www.safepilots.org/little-witch-p51-raffle/

It's not just a ride... it's an hour of dual. In a Mustang.
Of course, once the taxman gets wind of what is essentially earnings from gambling, it'll be a bit more than $20. But still, a bargain. They usually charge over $3000 for this.

Eddie Andreini is a great pilot and performer. I've seen him several dozen times. It wouldn't be the Watsonville airshow without him - he's flown at every one since 1964.

Will cloud ahoy work on a Droid or just Iphones?

I'm not sure but the developer emailed me and I ended up calling him to give him feedback on what I liked and didn't like. Great guy, I'm sure if you email him he can tell you if he is developing an app for the droid.

Wait until you see my video (well, not really, it is just the airplane starting up and taxi'ing but I doubt I'll ever be that close to one again).

Sure you can. Come to KIWI Wiscasset, Maine(my base) during July, August, and September. The Texas Flying Legends have announced that they will again bring their war planes to Wiscasset for the summer. If the same as last year, two P-51 a/c, one Corsair, one Japanese Zero, one B-25 Mitchell, and I think there's another one(along with the Caravan personnel a/c). I'll see if I can find one of my photos from last summer.
Nope; don't have my P51 shots readily available. Here are the Texas Flying Legends and a Corsair.

HR

Attachments

• Texas Flying Legends DSC09887 (1).JPG
    Texas Flying Legends DSC09887 (1).JPG
    908.5 KB · Views: 7
  • Corsair CW Landing.jpg
    Corsair CW Landing.jpg
    723.8 KB · Views: 4
Kimberly: You want nice planes? Check this: www.ohtm.org. I was there on March 04 for the 5th Annual Aviation Seminar(gathering of EAA Chapters and many exhibitors such as CAP, Coast Guard Auxiliary, FAA representatives, and others). There are only a ½ dozen or so pilots allowed to fly these classic planes. One of them is the president of our EAA Chapter 87(oldest chapter in Maine). I grew up near the Museum. Thomas W. Watson(the IBM founder) was a founder/is a major supporter of the Museum.

HR

And if you just like the view of some chick's blue jeans, or the sound of a P-51's engine (he was testing everything):

Here is a video, starting on the downwind leg, of us landing at Half Moon Bay.

I really need to shorten the ending and edit the video, but I know I probably never will have time, so I just wanted to upload it.

On this slow connection it took over 4 hours to upload!

Can't believe my cell took HD video and somehow got the sound from what seems like my headphones (?) and even our voices too.

Enjoy :

The sound you're hearing is from the airplane speaker in the headliner. It plays all the time, headphones plugged in or not. And at lower power settings our voices get over the engine, it's just a bitty ole O-200 :)

The sound you're hearing is from the airplane speaker in the headliner. It plays all the time, headphones plugged in or not. And at lower power settings our voices get over the engine, it's just a bitty ole O-200 :)

That is cool, so maybe in the 150 I fly we can hear our voices! Maybe I can turn on the speaker (but wonder if I'll still be able to hear it out of my headphones).

After all this testing, he finally left us, to taxi, to the runway (this is the last video I took of the P-51, my little cell phone doesn't have good zoom):

That is cool, so maybe in the 150 I fly we can hear our voices! Maybe I can turn on the speaker (but wonder if I'll still be able to hear it out of my headphones).
I don't know how yours is wired, but in mine you can reduce power to 2100-2200 rpm, trim for 80 mph or so, take your headphones off and have a conversation. Then turn the radio volume up a lot to be able to hear it. This probably isn't terribly good for your ears though :nono: I've been told by really old-school guys that way back when, not everybody wore headsets, hence the overhead speaker. Hard to believe and I couldn't imagine flying without ear protection.

Looked like a beautiful day to fly in the bay. I practiced my landings at KHAF 2 weeks ago when it was overcast. Got my 2 best/softest landings there. I enjoyed flying by the coast.

Sure you can. Come to KIWI Wiscasset, Maine(my base) during July, August, and September. The Texas Flying Legends have announced that they will again bring their war planes to Wiscasset for the summer.
Exciting! I'll have to check that out!

Looked like a beautiful day to fly in the bay. I practiced my landings at KHAF 2 weeks ago when it was overcast. Got my 2 best/softest landings there. I enjoyed flying by the coast.
I'm kinda the opposite. In the video, even though the stall horn squealed (this horn is not very sensitive, it's more of a stall indicator, not warning), I thought my landing was bad. When we landed at PAO, it was a really good one. HAF is 5000x150, PAO is 2440x70. I always seem to land better at the shorter, narrower strips. Must be a perspective thing, I gotta work on it.

Last edited:
Awe man those are awesome! Thanks. That makes me wanna fire up the ol FSX and fly the Mustang.

Well in a few months you should be able to get DCS: P-51D Mustang!

Not sure if you've ever heard of the Digital Combat Simulator Series from Eagle Dynamics, but they have already put out a Kamov Ka-50 simulator as well as one for the A-10C.

Here is their announcement of the P-51D.

Departure airport: Palo Alto

6952432231_38fca07d6f_z.jpg
Ok... I have never been lost in an airplane. Not even as a student... But if there is an airport in this photo, I may need some more dual XC...:confused:

I've been told by really old-school guys that way back when, not everybody wore headsets, hence the overhead speaker. Hard to believe and I couldn't imagine flying without ear protection.

When I started taking flying lessons, my first lesson was without a headset. I bought a headset before my second lesson!

OK these videos do take a long time to upload. I love that YouTube lets me cut them shorter or rotate (thank goodness).

Here is the plane taking off from KHAF (almost sunset).

Pretty much the same scenery as the landing at KHAF video, but if you fast forward to 3:30 - you'll see down the south coast of CA. So that part is "new".

The pilot seems to have a preference for using the left half of the runway.

Last edited:
Well in a few months you should be able to get DCS: P-51D Mustang!

Not sure if you've ever heard of the Digital Combat Simulator Series from Eagle Dynamics, but they have already put out a Kamov Ka-50 simulator as well as one for the A-10C.

Here is their announcement of the P-51D.

get outta here! Man you just made my day:) I have Blackshark & A-10C but haven't messed with them in quite awhile. I haven't even been keeping up with their website so I had no idea what was on the drawing board. I love their sims. The DCS Warthog is one of the most impressive flight/combat sims I've ever used!

Cool, more local pilots! I was there 2 weeks ago as well (on a weekend) but it was at night.

Ok... I have never been lost in an airplane. Not even as a student... But if there is an airport in this photo, I may need some more dual XC...:confused:

Sorry. What I should have said is this is what you see right after you take off from one of the KPAO runways.

OK, final video done. This is us coming back, from the coast and Half Moon Bay, landing at his home airport of Palo Alto.

This is very much in contrast to the coastal views (you can see all the freeways and businesses and traffic).

In roughly the last 30 seconds of the video, if you turn the sound up, you can hear the wheel issue on landing. Turned out to be not a big deal, though, and was fixed by a mechanic the very next day.

I was not the pilot, just a passenger this time.

Oops! Sorry for my confusion on that!

I was surprised after seeing how precisely you flew in your downtown SF photo. Now the mystery is solved.

Here is a video, starting on the downwind leg, of us landing at Half Moon Bay.

I really need to shorten the ending and edit the video, but I know I probably never will have time, so I just wanted to upload it.

On this slow connection it took over 4 hours to upload!

Can't believe my cell took HD video and somehow got the sound from what seems like my headphones (?) and even our voices too.

Enjoy :

From that landing, the pilot must be from the UK ;)

Oops! Sorry for my confusion on that!

I was surprised after seeing how precisely you flew in your downtown SF photo. Now the mystery is solved.

Don't be fooled, I don't know if I'm really that precise. I think that was one of those "once in a lifetime" photos. I had just passed my checkride and was in "peak" condition that day.

Here are the only videos I have of me landing (camera mounted far left windshield inside suction mount).

Remember this is my first / second solo time so hoping I'm better now:

Back