I think I met a famous pilot yesterday

This one my boyfriend took and is the only video I have of a spectator watching me land from the outside:

Here are the only videos I have of me landing (camera mounted far left windshield inside suction mount).

Remember this is my first / second solo time so hoping I'm better now:

It wasn't until I started training for the commercial certificate that I was informed that landing on the center of the runway would be a requirement.

Those look pretty close.

The video of my first solo landing is too embarrassing to post! :redface:

It wasn't until I started training for the commercial certificate that I was informed that landing on the center of the runway would be a requirement.

Those look pretty close.

The video of my first solo landing is too embarrassing to post! :redface:

Thanks, but, like I said, I've probably had another 50 landings since then so I hope they are better.

Centerline is tough!

I was not the pilot, just a passenger this time.
LOL- I swear, the last 500 YouTube landing videos I've seen, regardless of wind, the pilot lands left of the centerline (and it's not just the parallax from shooting video from the right seat). I don't get it. :dunno:
But that landing, otherwise, was superb- I was amazed to see there was a tailwind, because the PIC landed very well, with minimal forward motion for a smooth landing. Don't know what the indicated airspeed was, but I'd say it was just right for that airplane. If he hadn't had to add some power on base it would have been a perfect approach.... but I'll assume that was from the wind changing up. :wink2:

Thanks, but, like I said, I've probably had another 50 landings since then so I hope they are better.

Centerline is tough!

I'm happy as long as the wheels are straddling the centerline (on a small airplane), but I don't know what an instructor would say about that.

LOL- I swear, the last 500 YouTube landing videos I've seen, regardless of wind, the pilot lands left of the centerline (and it's not just the parallax from shooting video from the right seat). I don't get it. :dunno:

I think it's because people are used to the sight picture in a car, where you are close enough to the pavement for parallax to be a factor, because the width of the car is a significant fraction of the distance from your eye to the road. When you're on final approach, the width of the airplane is too small a fraction of the distance from your eye to the pavement for parallax to be a significant factor, so people are in effect correcting for parallax that isn't there. That sets them up well left of the center line as they are coming down final, and rather than wrench the plane over to the center line when they are close enough for the misalignment to become apparent, they accept the misalignment. (This last part is a good thing, IMO!)

I stopped trying to make it look like the center line was going through the center of the airplane, and instead started trying to make it look like the center line is going through the center of my own body. I figure if I can do that, then I will only be off by about one foot, which is less than the width of the center line. (And my instructor stopped complaining about my runway alignment on final!)

But that landing, otherwise, was superb- I was amazed to see there was a tailwind, because the PIC landed very well, with minimal forward motion for a smooth landing. Don't know what the indicated airspeed was, but I'd say it was just right for that airplane. If he hadn't had to add some power on base it would have been a perfect approach.... but I'll assume that was from the wind changing up. :wink2:
Up to this point it's been a tough crowd :rofl:. I guess it's because I'm a little left of center anyway. We got the AWOS several miles out and it was 210 @ 6kts or so. I remember telling Kimberly that we would have a 90 degree crosswind, albeit a light one. Approaching the airport other planes were using 30 (the prevailing runway) so I setup for it. If you listen closely, when I'm turning final someone on the CTAF says the winds are favoring 12. 6-8 knots of tailwind, 5000', not an issue. I almost always straddle the centerline but nooo, that day both landings were off :redface:.

I almost always straddle the centerline but nooo, that day both landings were off :redface:.

I know that feel, bro. Nobody's ever there to witness the really sweet approaches and landings, or so it seems. And the bad ones sting a lot more when there are witnesses.
Somebody in this thread mentioned "trying to put the center of my body on the centerline"... I started doing better when I started thinking of it that way. Doesn't always work out, though, especially with a crosswind.
But in the end, as long as you come to a stop on the runway and don't break anything or flat-spot the tires, it's all good. :D

Back