I think ATC is out to get me.....

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
LOL - not really, but today seemed to be the day that ATC was trying to yank my ticket!

Here's the story.

I'm flying to Deer Valley, outside Phoenix today. A weather briefing shows a TFR over Luke AFB, which was pretty much in the way of my direct flight. I had planned to avoid the TFR by a huge margin, just to make sure I didn't do something stupid.

Albuquerque Center tells me, without a request, that the TFR was no longer valid, and if I'd like, I could fly direct to Deer Valley.

"Great!! That'll save me about 15 or 20 minutes!"

So Albuquerque Center hands me off to Luke Approach, the controlling agency over the airspace that involves the TFR. Luke approach acknowledges my call up by saying "You are 2 miles from an active TFR, I strongly suggesting turning 360!" I think he said something about checking NOTAMs before I leave or something too.

Ugh, I turn and avoid the TFR by a wide berth, and Luke Approach hands me off to Deer Valley Tower.

I call up Deer Valley Tower and tell them I am 15 to the west. I am west, exactly west, confirmed by the GPS, a VOR and my compass. Deer Valley Tower tells me "Enter straight in, runway 7R, stay south of the centerline." I can't see Deer Valley from here yet, but I figure if I cheat south a bit until I can see it, I'll be fine.

About 5 minutes later, Deer Valley tower comes back and says "Listen, if you're coming from the north, you call North Tower. That's why its called North Tower, continue southbound until crossing the centerline for 7R."

Oops. So I do that, and at that point I also see the airport. I land without issues, and taxi and shutdown.

So what's the deal, it appears ABQ Center wanted to get me with the TFR, Luke wanted to get me by handing me off to the wrong tower freq, and Tower knew my position by my callout and said nothing other than "stay south of centerline" and then yelled at me.

It was a great flight, btw, but man, I feel like I beat a big conspiracy :D

NIck, I'd file an ASRS. Not to bail yourself out, but to call attention to a potential safety problem.

That's what ASRS was made for.

BTW Nick. We heard ATC talking to a student pilot who was squawking 7700 trying to turn him towards Parker today. They were using another plane to relay, I heard all 3 conversations, but could barely understand the student. I was thinking a DVT (pan am) student if you know what i mean. Anyways, ATC lost contact with him at about 4500' and i never heard what happened. At first April and I thought it might be you.
Your gonna have those days, You saw DVT turn me into jello last time i went in there too. be glad it was DVT, they are used to tons of student traffic and are very patient.

In addition to the ASRS report, I hope you also called the ABQ center duty officer at the number in the A/FD and complained about being sent into an active TFR.

In addition to the ASRS report, I hope you also called the ABQ center duty officer at the number in the A/FD and complained about being sent into an active TFR.

You know, Ron, I should do that. I wasn't really that angry about this until I woke up today. Yesterday, I was just slightly amused. Now I'm livid.

Is it too late to have the tapes pulled?

You know, Ron, I should do that. I wasn't really that angry about this until I woke up today. Yesterday, I was just slightly amused. Now I'm livid.

Is it too late to have the tapes pulled?
They're electronic these days, not tapes, but it still isn't too late to have them pulled. You'll need to provide them with as much information as possible, e.g. frequency, time, location.

Then have a :wineglass: and wait until you calm down to make the call. Nothing good comes of something like this when either party is "livid."

I forgot the last bit of this story, btw, the one that confirmed that it was a conspiracy.

After all that happened, I'm on final to 7R, waiting for "cleared to land."

The controller goes talking to some other people about stuff, waiting, waiting....

I'm now about 50 feet off the ground, ready to go around, and I can finally get a word in "Um, cleared to land?" He comes back with "03P, cleared to land."

Welcome to our world at DVT. :redface: I've come in from the north wanting 7R and swung way out to the southwest and made sure that I was well south of the centerline and at least nine miles out before my initial call up, and I've gotten the same response. I think they watch me coming and just say to each other "there's 99A coming from the north and wanting the south runway" then they flip a coin or something. Heads she gets it, tails she calls the north tower." :dunno:

Nick, there's a post on the red board from another pilot who had to deal with the TFR. It was due to the Thunderbirds performing at Luke. He was told the airport was closed when the NOTAM and a phone call to Luke told him it wasn't.

These TFRs are a real SNAFU. I'm reminded of when I was set up for a JFK Jr. into Lake Michigan by a TFR with no notice at Meigs. Don't nobody know how to play this game?

Last edited:

Amen. That will help the Center.

Back