I.T. and I.T. management positions open for qualified people

For those of you complaining about the BS/BA degree - and whom don't have one, I will give your exasperation all the consideration it deserves.

I'll defend the degree to a certain extent. For me, it shows that a young person can dedicate 4-5 years to a program and see it through. Not just that, but pretty much every college graduate I've helped hire has shown a well-roundedness and wider range of interests than the non-degreed people who would otherwise be qualified.

If you think you meet or exceed all the other qualifications except the BS/BA degree, you can send me a note, and I can look at your CV to check if it might make it through. We've hired non-degree people in management, but I would like you to understand that a manager will be supervising highly technical degreed engineers. For anyone that's been in the armed forces, and had a shave-tail ensign, or butter-bar louie, you understand I think that while they certainly lack real world experience, they are still the boss, and the system works pretty well in most cases. For the director level positions, the degree requirements are not able to be waived.

Thanks

I'm still holding out for that accounting job. Does it help if I can write a partial differential equation to describe the cash flow in relation to the current tidal range and the average temperature on Jupiter? Note that I can't actually solve that PDE, but I can write it...

I'm still holding out for that accounting job. Does it help if I can write a partial differential equation to describe the cash flow in relation to the current tidal range and the average temperature on Jupiter? Note that I can't actually solve that PDE, but I can write it...

Are you the one in a cajillion who learned differentiation at home, on your spare time and not in a classroom? Cuz, the rest of us took college classes for that.

Are you the one in a cajillion who learned differentiation at home, on your spare time and not in a classroom? Cuz, the rest of us took college classes for that.

Classes were rote memorization. Learned how math really works at home...most of it at 3 am when nobody was looking. Scary stuff.

and then went on to provide the example of a Mode C transponder having a unique ID registered with the FAA while the squawk is changeable dependent on the airspace it is in I would pass that one?

No, because you just confused Mode C with Mode S.

I do know that MACs are a series of couplets separated by colons :)) but I don't know how they are derived.

Manufacturers get a prefix then assign them however they see fit. Usually sequentially or grouped by model or whatever. Doesn't matter how they do it, though. Just that they do :yes:

Also, they're not guaranteed to be globally unique anymore. Just unique to the layer 2 segment. If they aren't, bad things can and will happen.

I know 169 is a lyncsys default and no one with a clue uses it. 10.10.100.1 is so much nicer for the home networking crowd.

It's a bit more complicated than that. Per RFC3927, 169.254/16 is assigned for link-local autoconfiguration, meaning if no static config assigned and no DHCP/BOOTP/etc assigned addressing. So if it doesn't know what to do, it'll follow the RFC spec to figure it out. You can't (per spec) use it for routable things.

10/8 is an RFC1918 (there are three nets assigned) private address that is not Internet routable, so you have to NAT things to get out to the world.

Don't meet the qualifications.

I don't either.

I know.

18+ years of experience, but without a piece of paper that only means you were able to sit through 4 years of classes, you're worthless.

Hmm. The first one I owned and programmed on was in 1982.

I'm not worthless to those I'd want to work for. These days, if I were to ever make a job change, I'd be interviewing the employer that approached me more so than they'd be interviewing me.

Heh. I agree here also. I knew going into this company that I'd be fixing all the same old problems I've seen at every small company since the first job in 1991. It'll be another year or two and then they'll either grow, or I'll move on.

Having spent the first 15 years of my SW Engineering career in just that boat, it frustrates me. I did finally get my BSCS degree but now that I'm CTO I insist that we include the phrase "or equivalent experience" in our job postings and mean it. Many of our government contracts specify grade level requirements, but even those generally have a "y degree or x years" phrase.

Smart man.

I'm just gonna leave this here

AAEAAQAAAAAAAAIxAAAAJDA4M2U1M2U4LTI4YjktNDBkMy05N2ZkLTg1NjFkYzY4YTVhMg.png

ROFL! I had a 30+ year hardware design and low level (assembly mostly) acquaintance, post that he'd never heard of SCRUM last week on FB. I had to translate for him... "It's what we old farts used to call a planning meeting." ;)

Then I told him to go Google Scrum Master. Haha.

He sent me a private note... "So how does any of this crap make the code any better?"

Beats me, man. Beats me. But the kids seem to like it.

I got bored and decided that I didn't have enough letters after my name...

-Jim, PMP, CSM, CMRP, CPSM, C.P.M.

Wow you really were bored. I like putting the letter i in lowercase in PMP in the "correct" position to both give a nod to Apple Marketing and also to accurately describe the usual job role accomplished by those with the cert. :)

What are you really testing with that? I would consider someone scoring VERY well on that test being basically the minimal level of computer competency to be a receptionist at a tech firm.

LOL!

Manufacturers get a prefix then assign them however they see fit. Usually sequentially or grouped by model or whatever. Doesn't matter how they do it, though. Just that they do :yes:

Also, they're not guaranteed to be globally unique anymore. Just unique to the layer 2 segment. If they aren't, bad things can and will happen.

It's a bit more complicated than that. Per RFC3927, 169.254/16 is assigned for link-local autoconfiguration, meaning if no static config assigned and no DHCP/BOOTP/etc assigned addressing. So if it doesn't know what to do, it'll follow the RFC spec to figure it out. You can't (per spec) use it for routable things.

10/8 is an RFC1918 (there are three nets assigned) private address that is not Internet routable, so you have to NAT things to get out to the world.

Heh. Ran across that whole "non-unique" even on Layer 2 problem twice in my career. It's a ***** to find. They never were globally unique because certain manufacturers who shall remain nameless, have screwed up before. (Cough, Intel... Cough...)

You forgot RFC 4193 in your discussion of private address space. ;)

I can think of two solid technical ways to "get out to the world" without NAT of an RFC 1918 address.

Hints: Squid and ::ffff might be needed.

I just use 240.0.0.0/4 when I need addresses. They're reserving it for me, anyway. ;)

Oh ok, kidding.

I really just always use 100.64.0.0/10 on my internal networks because everything I do is "carrier grade", baby!

(Heh. Kidding on that one too, of course.)

Want some fun? Look up who has 44.0.0.0/8 assigned to them, and then turn the debugging up real high on a Checkpoint Firewall.

You might notice some cute (and inappropriate) hi-jinx going on. ;) I believe the content filtering blades trigger it, but haven't confirmed that yet.

Oh, on the original post: You couldn't pay me enough money to ever move to Silicon Valley. Ever.

Oh, on the original post: You couldn't pay me enough money to ever move to Silicon Valley. Ever.

Sorry.

I'm sure you're over-qualified for anything we would have in Denver.

I do know that MACs are a series of couplets separated by colons :)) but I don't know how they are derived. I might look that up for fun. The IP routing schema I remember a little about, but it's been forever and a day since I set one up. Usually I just call and tell them which subnet I appear to be in and ask if that's the issue with routing to the server I'm trying to hit. I know 169 is a lyncsys default and no one with a clue uses it. 10.10.100.1 is so much nicer for the home networking crowd.
Beyond the manufacturer's prefix I don't think there is any standard derivation. I used to know a dozen or so of the prefixes by heart, but that was 10 years ago. I did IT-related stuff for about 10 years, administering Linux systems for three high energy physics research groups, debugging and implementing Perl code for a grid computing implementation, I know several computer languages including some MC680x0 assembler (yeah I know, pretty useless today), and I can write and solve PDEs and have the letters after my name to prove I went to school. But my degrees are in physics not CS or CE, and I'm so far out of the loop on IT today that I don't kid myself into thinking I'm remotely qualified to be a pro in the field, especially at the managerial level. Too bad, since I'd love to relocate out of the People's Republic of Vermont and go somewhere it's actually possible to save some money on a 5-figure salary without living like a pauper.

Back in the good-old-days when you actually had to worry about the "CD" in CSMA/CD, most drivers would calculate the collision backoff time based on the MAC address, and if you had some manufacturer that sold consecutive MACs to people, you would end up flooding your network. You'd end up with a collision, then the stations would back off for almost exactly the same amount of time and retransmit, and collide again, and again, and again until they eventually fell out of phase enough to not be in collision.

Sorry to inject some seriousness into this thread :) but what are the major locations? You mentioned Silicon Valley, but what are the others?

PM is fine if thats better.

Back in the good-old-days when you actually had to worry about the "CD" in CSMA/CD, most drivers would calculate the collision backoff time based on the MAC address, and if you had some manufacturer that sold consecutive MACs to people, you would end up flooding your network. You'd end up with a collision, then the stations would back off for almost exactly the same amount of time and retransmit, and collide again, and again, and again until they eventually fell out of phase enough to not be in collision.

Well, see - Jeff you were just meddling with the wrong vendor. Of course, the right way to solve this problem is to have something called a 'token', and it would be passed around in a 'ring' so that each station could load or unload the token and pass it along. Gets rid of that whole collision probability stuff.

That's the way things in the big city are done, doncha know?

mmmuuuuaaaahhahahhahhahhahaaaaaaaa,,,, I keel myself. ;)

Well, see - Jeff you were just meddling with the wrong vendor. Of course, the right way to solve this problem is to have something called a 'token', and it would be passed around in a 'ring' so that each station could load or unload the token and pass it along. Gets rid of that whole collision probability stuff.

We never used tokens. Always afraid that when you unplugged a cable the token would fall out and roll into a heat register. But I cant tell you how many times I have slipped in a pool of Ethernet when someone unplugged a cable and left it on the floor... Damn kids, get off my lawn

Ever work with 802.12? Demand priority kicked the crap out of token ring for latency without the collisions of csma/cd.

I've also done 100 Mb/s ArcNet. Yes, it existed.

We never used tokens. Always afraid that when you unplugged a cable the token would fall out and roll into a heat register. But I cant tell you how many times I have slipped in a pool of Ethernet when someone unplugged a cable and left it on the floor... Damn kids, get off my lawn

My favourite network failure was when a customer unplugged his thinnet from a Compaq luggable and dropped it behind his desk, and it landed across the prongs of a plug that wasn't all the way in. Instant 110VAC across the entire network. Every network card fried, and about 1/3 of the devices to boot.

Ever work with 802.12? Demand priority kicked the crap out of token ring for latency without the collisions of csma/cd.

Two cans and a string could beat the crap out of broken ring.

ArcNet. You are sooooooo old, but not as old as me. :lol:

Even I would work in the Silicon valley for enough money. Note, I didn't say move there, enough money and I could fly in for the week from my mansion somewhere nice to live.

Also, on the 'don't try this at home' front, I worked at a resort in the mountains one summer and we ran thinnet between 2 buildings, the ground potential difference was about 60V, worked fine as long as you only grounded one end and didn't touch the other while touching a local ground.

Hmmm... Oddly enough when I look at the FAA registry for an aircraft I own and I know for a fact has only Mode C transponder, it lists a Mode S code (both oct and hex).

Last edited:
Joined just for posting here and looking for a glider tow in Boise Idaho. Is the spot real and how much do they pay?

Hmmm... Oddly enough when I look at the FAA registry for an aircraft I own and I know for a fact has only Mode C transponder, it lists a Mode S code (both oct and hex).

Mode-S is assigned to every tailnumber in the US. Oh, look, here's a post:

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40694

It doesn't mean you're actually transmitting it. This is one reason some people choose to get ADS-B out on UAT with mode C instead of a Mode-S transponder. A Mode-S transponder must always transmit the assigned code. ADS-B UAT has an option for 'anonymous' mode using a random code for the flight.

Last edited:
Interesting. That means my analogy fails for both Mode C and Mode S, since the mode S code also a configuration, unlike a MAC which is usually not changeable.

Oh well, I guess I won't be an IT manger this month :(

So... if I give you a dissertation about how the MAC address is like a cards serial number, stored on an ePROM, while an IP is a dynamic value assigned for routing, and then went on to provide the example of a Mode C transponder having a unique ID registered with the FAA while the squawk is changeable dependent on the airspace it is in I would pass that one?

I do know that MACs are a series of couplets separated by colons :)) but I don't know how they are derived. I might look that up for fun. The IP routing schema I remember a little about, but it's been forever and a day since I set one up. Usually I just call and tell them which subnet I appear to be in and ask if that's the issue with routing to the server I'm trying to hit. I know 169 is a lyncsys default and no one with a clue uses it. 10.10.100.1 is so much nicer for the home networking crowd.

The MAC address is split - first 3 bytes are assigned by IEEE RA to the manufacturer. Way back when there were just a few manufacturers, we could tell what kind of NIC we were seeing by the first 3 bytes, today there's too many to keep up with. The last three bytes are assigned by the manufacturer. 256^3 is almost 16.8 million numbers, meaning a single manufacturer was good for 16 million devices before they had to get another range. Some of the big ones already had several, but at least for the moment we're in no danger of running out of MAC addresses. I think Ethernet will die before we get 16 million manufacturers.

For example - my mac starts with 68:F7:28, which I can look up and see that it comes from LCFC(HeFei) Electronics Technology Co in China and apparently used by Intel.

...unlike a MAC which is usually not changeable.

Even that's not guaranteed. Sure one may be programmed into the ROM on the hardware, but it's easy enough to set to whatever you want in any OS. Not the best idea though.

I wouldn't rely on the MAC address as an identity for any form of hard security.

Sorry.

I'm sure you're over-qualified for anything we would have in Denver.

Not looking. And not interested.

Goal-oriented, no BS, debt-free, self-motivated, and a very good judge of what will make or save money, designs stuff to last, and insanely good at troubleshooting. Plenty of folks who need that.

Those who need me, find me, just like the current place did.

Just reminding you not to overlook the folks who worked their way up. They didn't get to jump rungs on your ladder game -- by waving a piece of paper from a dubious business that would be significantly smaller, if it weren't subsidized with guaranteed government loans.

If they need the job and can't walk, they'll say anything to keep you happy. Just remember that. They have 20+ years of student loans to pay off.

As far as the California comment goes, I've lived and worked in California and it's not my cup of tea. The statement was serious. Like I said, I don't BS. It was a statement of fact.

Most of the folks moving here for years and years were escaping California. So it's apparently not just me.

We're still working on helping them get over some of their California indoctrination, and so far they still seem to like staying in the California style cardboard construction subdivisions we built to hold them all. Somehow Highlands Ranch has contained them without even so much as a fence.

They feel quite at home with houses three feet apart and overbearing HOAs that hire rent a cops to give out tickets for not mowing the grass to spec, or leaving the garage door open on a nice day. Haha. ;)

Argh! Did we work at the same place in a past life? Haha. That was so annoying.

Two tokens made it mo' betta' according to IBM and my banking customers believed them. LOL!

Oh good lord. Whoever you worked for had more money than they knew what to do with. Ha.

That system is going to be sooooo messed with by people who are up to no good. I haven't decided how many years it'll be before we hear about "the first" (they won't be the first) person arrested for sending bogus data into the system.

Back