I swore that said "Medical Reform Passes"

Archammer

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
FlyingSchmidt
So opening my AOPA Live feed and see "Medical Reform...", and I was sure it said "Passes" Alas, it said "progress". Well suck.

Apparently there was an amendment that couldn't be added due to scheduling.

So Im in the camp of - its a pipedream until I see otherwise. Having said that, I just keep hoping in the back of my mind that it will finally go through. I'm probably just hanging on to it like a horrible girlfriend that's really good in bed.

For those of you a little more positive on the matter - what do you think the odds are of it actually passing - in the format we expect? This year? Next year or never?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not holding my breath. Kind of like waiting on the part 23 re-write.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'll say this...it has a better shot now than it ever has in the 20 some years that it has actively been pushed.

The medical will probably have a better chance of passing,as opposed to the re-write of part 23.

Please help me understand. If I understand correctly this will allow people who have a 3rd class to not have to renew unless there is a major change I.E. heart attack or such but new pilots will still need to obtain the 3rd class first so it wont help people who have a problem like have taken ADHD meds or anti-depressents or things like that right? Am I understanding this correct? If so how will this really help GA that much?

Please help me understand. If I understand correctly this will allow people who have a 3rd class to not have to renew unless there is a major change I.E. heart attack or such but new pilots will still need to obtain the 3rd class first so it wont help people who have a problem like have taken ADHD meds or anti-depressents or things like that right? Am I understanding this correct? If so how will this really help GA that much?

As I understand it - please correct me if I'm wrong - this will allow all the pilot's who would only need a 3rd class medical to only require a valid drivers license as medical certification. That means all those obnoxious and stupid disqualifying conditions go bye-bye for private pilots and we can get back to managing our own. It changes the whole game and makes GA a viable enterprise again.

Well almost. We need to completely remove a big chunk of bureaucratic horse ****, but that's another thread entirely.

Last edited:

Yes, you need to get a medical so that you can fly without a medical. Clearly, the thing to do is to go get your first and only medical as a kid or at least before you seek treatment for something that would be an issue.

I'm sure that a particular Senator that currently has a medical is not the only person that will benefit.

Back