I sold my Cessna 172 today

DavidWhite

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
DW
I've taken care of it for almost 2 years and about 550 flying hours - it was a great airplane and I'm going to miss it, but I'm also glad to see it's going to a good home. With these old airplanes you don't own them, you are more of a caretaker until you pass them on to the next person. I have so many memories in that airplane, it's going to be tough seeing it go. That airplane had a personality, and took care of me. It's weird how attached you can get to a machine. I teared up a little bit when I was signing the bill of sale, I still don't think it's totally sunk in yet.

I remember selling the first car that *I* bought. It was a sad day but for the better. I hear that selling your first airplane is 100x worse and I couldn't imaging selling Lane even for an upgrade. Congrats on the sale and enjoy the Mooney along with the memories of the 172 and the new memories the Mooney will create.

I've bought and sold a ton of planes, maybe 2 dozen. Ultra lights to RV-10s. Each one was cool in it's own way. I've flown each one and got to know them pretty well. With each sale there is a little sadness, but it is tempered with the knowledge I took good care of each one, and fixed them up for resale, and made a few bucks in the process.

Nice to hear your feelings Dave. Machines can talk... a little. :redface:

White Lightning will be missed.

Leaky Lifter looks to be an adequate replacement.

;)

Well, I haven't sold my first plane yet. But I have sold a number of other vehicles. There are ones you get attached to. First ones, as well as ones that you've had some significant experiences with are hard to let go of. Plus, there are some you just like a great deal for whatever reason. I find a correlation between attachment and time investment exists. The same goes for houses and other items.

You'll move on from the sale of the White Lightning as you spend more time flying Leaky Lightning. Then, in 2 years when you sell Leaky Lightning for Double Lightning, you'll repeat the process. :)

Consider yourself most fortunate in a quick sale. Sale of aircraft can take a long time. A quick, local sale is optimal.

I've bought and sold a ton of planes, maybe 2 dozen. Ultra lights to RV-10s. Each one was cool in it's own way. I've flown each one and got to know them pretty well. With each sale there is a little sadness, but it is tempered with the knowledge I took good care of each one, and fixed them up for resale, and made a few bucks in the process.

Wow 24 planes that is an impressive amount of personally owned aircraft. Lucky guy!

Wow 24 planes that is an impressive amount of personally owned aircraft. Lucky guy! I'm still saving for my first LOL.

selling a plane...what an interesting concept

Didn't feel badly about my first plane when I sold it. Now, I still miss my convertible, and probably always will. Mrs. Steingar still hears me sigh whenever I pass one. It was supposed to be my last car. Sigh.

Oh, and congrats on the sale David. Not at all surprised, that was a nice example of the breed you had there.

Last edited:
Wow 24 planes that is an impressive amount of personally owned aircraft. Lucky guy! I'm still saving for my first LOL.

Just thought I'd mention that actually saving for an airplane involves more than capturing pocket change every evening...

:D

Why are you calling the mooney Leaky?

And congrats David.

Boy that was quick. Congrats on the sale and enjoy your new ride.
Hopefully mine will sell before too long and then I'll have a new ride to enjoy.

Just thought I'd mention that actually saving for an airplane involves more than capturing pocket change every evening...

:D

Oh I'm way beyond that, I scoop the left over change out of vending machines too.:wink2:

I've taken care of it for almost 2 years and about 550 flying hours - it was a great airplane and I'm going to miss it, but I'm also glad to see it's going to a good home. With these old airplanes you don't own them, you are more of a caretaker until you pass them on to the next person. I have so many memories in that airplane, it's going to be tough seeing it go. That airplane had a personality, and took care of me. It's weird how attached you can get to a machine. I teared up a little bit when I was signing the bill of sale, I still don't think it's totally sunk in yet.

Did you fly 550 hours in two years? I'm jealous!

I'm assuming b/c they have a reputation for having leaky fuel tanks.

His were actually leaking right after he got it home. Judging by the photos of a lunch flight today, looks like he got them sealed up or somethin'.

His were actually leaking right after he got it home. Judging by the photos of a lunch flight today, looks like he got them sealed up or somethin'.

unless he got a complete strip/reseal or bladders, they'll be leaking again. :yesnod:

at least mine waited 2 months after I bought it to start leaking. :(

One thing you'll also find with time is that the planes you miss aren't necessarily the fastest.

Even though the Commander was a significantly better performer than the Cheyenne, I don't miss the Commander one bit. I do, however, miss the Cheyenne. It was something about the panel, interior, and just general feel of it. Perhaps also since it was my first turbine. But that was a great plane, and I would have bought it if I had a need for a turboprop. I had a dream the other night I was flying it again.

Nowadays, it's somewhere in Africa.

unless he got a complete strip/reseal or bladders, they'll be leaking again. :yesnod:

How bad did they leak? Some leaking is actually okay.

I copied this letter from our club A&P. We operate three M20J's

The Mooney has a design problem regarding the sealant on the fuel tanks. If the tanks are not kept constantly full, then the sealant dries out and fuel seeping starts. But to get more than 1.5 full-size people and bags in the airplane, weight and balance demands that the pilot only fill the tanks to the tabs (leaving the tops of the tanks dry.) Fuel to the tabs is essentially never an operational problem because at 9 gph, that's 5.5 hours of fuel (or more conservatively 5 hours at 10 gph.) That's a lot of sitting and in a J-model Money a four-hour range can easily get you to Boston, Orlando/Tampa, or to the Chicago area (unless you're blasting into a serious headwind.)

But because we routinely fuel to the tabs, the sealant dries out and fuel starts to seep on the top of the wing when the tanks are filled past the tabs to the very tops. This creates a mess and might be a concern to a passenger looking out the window who does not realize that an external fuel stain or seep is permitted (in the maintenance manual) and is not unsafe.

But pilots new to the Mooney do not know this fact and have to be continuously educated about fueling procedures. (We had a flight canceled today for this reason.) Re-sealing the tanks generally takes two weeks or more of labor and can cost upwards of $6,000. So to help out, please remember to only have the Mooney tanks filled to the tabs! Thanks.

Congrats on the fast sale, David! You'll get over it..:yes:

You can not believe what a nasty job that is until you have done it once.

Every maintenance routine you do on a mooney is difficult at best.

Back