I see this as a threat to general aviation

David -

Taking this convo with Jeff down a slightly twisted path...

Jeff's neighbor has a grow house. He is looking for some form of protection from LEO's. If Jeff reports what he sees with his gizmo, does that provide said neighbor protection as the reasonableness of any subsequent LE search may be deemed dependent upon Jeff's initial assertion? :dunno:

Just exercising my mind :wink2:

Hmmmm. Interesting idea. Can't say I've run across this one before!

I think both the neighbor and his Canadian counterpart would be in hot water.

First, you have to do equity to receive equity. In other words, we (society) won't allow you to profit from your wrongful conduct. That's why I can't sue you for a breach of contract to smuggle meth (even though, technically, it's a contract the same as any other). In the same way, we're not going to let you use the system to your advantage.

There are some other half-remembered ideas floating around in my head as to why this wouldn't work, but being as they're half-remembered (and I'm not sure I half-remember them correctly), I'll leave them be for now.

But, the bottom line is that the Constitution requires "fairness" to all parties - be they individual defendants or society. If you ask me, it's not "fair" that some Canadian jerk from the internet would be able to conspire with his neighbor to grow reefer in a way that would prohibit enforcement of our laws.

Sorry, Jeff! ;) :)

If I'm flying VFR, it's up to me to see and avoid. A Predator is somewhat larger than the average GA single, and a Reaper is bigger yet, so I'm not sure that's a real problem...I think I'm more concerned about the concept of using a military asset for domestic surveillance than the possiblity of a collision.
So, if a Reaper hits you from behind it's your fault?

How would that be any different than being hit from behind by any other aircraft?

That any other aircraft in theory has a set of eyes helping to avoid that collision.

Don't know what the UAVs have in terms of a forward-lookout while operating in shared airspace. Grand Forks has a TFR active whenever they fly from there to the MOAs, you can enter the TFR anytime but you have to talk to the GFK-AFB approach controller.

That any other aircraft in theory has a set of eyes helping to avoid that collision.

Don't know what the UAVs have in terms of a forward-lookout while operating in shared airspace. Grand Forks has a TFR active whenever they fly from there to the MOAs, you can enter the TFR anytime but you have to talk to the GFK-AFB approach controller.

Emphasis on, "in theory." How many pilots on IFR flight plans are really spending much time looking out for traffic? Or VFR pilots for that matter, like the ones taking in all of nature's beauty while bobbing their heads to Michael Bolton's Greatest Hits piped into their headsets?

Emphasis on, "in theory." How many pilots on IFR flight plans are really spending much time looking out for traffic? Or VFR pilots for that matter, like the ones taking in all of nature's beauty while bobbing their heads to Michael Bolton's Greatest Hits piped into their headsets?

I am shocked that there are pilots who would do such things :hairraise:

But yes, that's the theory. As the occasional hard to understand midair (Boulder, Rock Springs, Long Beach) demonstrates, the theory occasionally fails.

The biggest threat to general aviation are general aviation pilots :duck:.

Last edited:
AFA the grow house issue, why can't we just drop the war on pot and save everyone a lot of time, money and aggravation? I'm getting tired of this creeping East German mentality in our government.

... And I don't really see any practical see and avoid solution that doesn't involve everybody (even you NORDO types) having a query & response or broadcast capability. ADS-B will make it possible, but that's a decade away and expensive....

You REALLY think we'll ever get ADS-B In??? :lol::rofl:
I have a bridge for sale, conveniently located in New York City. I can let you have it cheap.

Well, they will go full steam ahead with drones until they manage to t-bone a dentist from Philadelphia along with his family and the ensuing 20 million dollar award against that local police department exceeds their insurance coverage, then and only then will more stringent controls be placed on these cowboys and their toys...

denny-o

Back