I remember when the first solo was what made me nervous...

Hobobiker

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Hobo
...And then it was the long cross country solo, and then it was the written, and then the checkride, etc etc. I had to laugh today because after completing my flight review a few weeks back what made me nervous TODAY was my medical exam. Blood pressure...okay, this has been going higher. Deep breaths, relax, go to your happy place in your mind. Deep breaths. Okay, passed. Whew! Now the eye test...yep, I can read the bottom lines on the left, right, middle, and I can see those nifty little lights that check my peripheral vision. Knocked that one outta the park. WooHoo!! What? There's a near-vision part of the test as well? Okay, this should be a piece of cake too...WHAA? Waitaminute, everything got a little fuzzier. Okay, I can read the fourth line but that fifth line is a no go. Sweat beads are forming on my head as I look at the doc...at 47 I guess I no longer have the "perfect" vision I've always had. "No worries" says the doc. "You passed. 20/30 vision on the near-vision. Happens to about everyone on the near-vision end of things with age. Be thankful you made it to 47 without getting close to needing reading glasses."

Good news for me was that I passed and have another two years. Bad news was that my eyes probably aren't going to get any "better" with time, so might be time to start having some annual eye exams too. Ugh...

......Good news for me was that I passed and have another two years. Bad news was that my eyes probably aren't going to get any "better" with time, so might be time to start having some annual eye exams too. Ugh...

if only they had these 'things' that could somehow convert blurry vision into something that is less than blurry, even clearly visible and interpreted by the brain as legible letters and numbers with distinct edges instead of blurry ones. someone should look into that, for those who's vision isn't perfect.

oh, and congrats and happy flying!

...Good news for me was that I passed and have another two years. Bad news was that my eyes probably aren't going to get any "better" with time, so might be time to start having some annual eye exams too. Ugh...

Doesn't have anything to do with lens correctable blurry vision but I strongly recommend getting at least the eye pressure test (puff test) once a year. High pressure damages the optic nerve (glaucoma) and can go from normal to significantly high in a year. Damage is permanent. In my case, pressure easily controlled with eye drops. Still seeing 20/20 and normal peripheral vision after many years - but S.I. required.

My eyes are certainly not getting any younger as well. If it wasn't for my corrective lenses, I'd be blind as a bat. I'm reminded of this at every eye exam.

I passed my last one at 39. I think that will be the last time I can pass with near vision uncorrected.

I hit 50 before I had to get that little aggravating line... Must posses glasses for near vision while flying. 7 years later and it is now, Must have corrective lenses for near and distant vision.

I hate getting old......:(:)

So far I am keeping control of blood pressure with diet and exercise.

Yoga really works, too.

You lucky bastards... I been blind my whole damn life. I was about 12 before anyone knew, I had never even seen a person's face. Let's just say 4F would have been generous and yet I am still flying. You can live with glasses, bifocals, hell even trifocals.

I've needed glasses since Jr High. But I was able to stave off bifocals until my mid 40s. Flying was fine, but when my career transitioned to flying a desk, computer work did not help. I have no line bifocals, no issues.

You lucky bastards... I been blind my whole damn life.
:eek: At first I thought you meant totally blind.
I've often wondered if human vision is evolving for the worse. No need to be skillful hunters anymore with good eyesight.

:eek: At first I thought you meant totally blind.
I've often wondered if human vision is evolving for the worse. No need to be skillful hunters anymore with good eyesight.

My bad... that was a poor choice of words on my part. I consider myself lucky not to be really blind.

Back