I really like flying

chucky

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Chucky
Up near Poughkeepsie...
attachment.php

First non-training flight in a little while - just wanted to go see the fall colors. For the first time, the total in my PIC column is greater than my Dual Received column.

Also, I took up a passenger who's only prior experience with GA was a family friend who was killed in a light plane crash many years ago. She seemed to love it. She was grinning the whole time, at least.

Attachments

• 050.JPG
    050.JPG
    153.7 KB · Views: 177
I like flying too! It's the reason I don't have enough money to buy a car!

It's all worth it though, planning on taking some family up for a ride on Monday before they head back to Maine. Great picture by the way.

CHUCKY:

WHAT!!!!! and you didn't give me a shout or let me know you were coming up this way..oh the humanity!!!!

C'mon man...you're in my backyard: Thats the Old Railroad Bridge thats now the Hudson River Walkway (very cool) and the Mid-Hudson Bridge to the south. Stewart is to the South across the River, MGJ is West-Southwest, and of course you know where the home drome is. Sheesh!!!

Yes it is beautiful flying this time of year, Sadly, most of the time I have my hood on while flying and can't see a thing outside the plane these days.

Well, it was a very spur-of-the-moment thing yesterday - hey, the weather's great and I have a pilot's license! We didn't land at Poughkeepsie. During my private training, I did flights to POU and MGJ (my second solo cross-country was to MGJ, or was supposed to be, but I had to turn back because of weather). I didn't realize that bridge is a walkway. It must be a beautiful walk.

I'm in the same boat as you though - most of my time now is under the hood. It was great to go up and just put around for fun.

Here's a few more:
attachment.php

attachment.php

Oh, also, I always thought your handle referred to flying Beech Dutchesses, not flying out of Dutchess County:smile:

Attachments

• 016.JPG
    016.JPG
    208 KB · Views: 113
  • 032.JPG
    032.JPG
    108.9 KB · Views: 111
I knew the Poughkeepsie jokes would not be far behind...

Chuck: Yep Dutchess is Dutchess County... I fly a 172 / sorta like I drive a Ford truck. Let's meet-up sometime and burn some holes in the sky.

Bruce

All that foilage looks kinda terrifying to a high desert pilot. Where do you put her down if anything happens? Into the river maybe?

I'd rather fly into the trees slightly nose high and at MCA than putting it in the river...with a fixed gear anyway.

I like flying, but I'm still a little jealous! The fall colors we have around here kinda suck so far. :(

100_3047.jpg

This was this past Sunday going to breakfast just south of Chicago around the Kankakee area. Maybe give it a couple more weeks and our show will be better.

All that foilage looks kinda terrifying to a high desert pilot. Where do you put her down if anything happens? Into the river maybe?

We don't worry about those things....:ihih:

Seriously: In the valleys, there are many many roads, fields, plowed farms and lowland places we can use. Whenever I fly with another pilot we play the "okay the engine's out, where you gonna put the plane down" game with each other to keep a sharp eye out. The river is always a possibility,albeit, a cold and wet one!

Over the mountains and wooded areas, well, you do the best you can...trim for very very slow speed before getting back to terra firma, get a controllable nose up attitude and use the foliage as a cushion.

Most of us who fly around here also tend to cruise with alot of altitude between us and the ground. Personally, I am almost always at 6500 to 7500 ft just to have the time to work out the details, if needed. Our training includes many many practice power-out scenarios for troubleshooting and finding places to put the plane down, and the examiners here stress that alot in the PT.

Very much so! It's tempting to take a little flight over there and drop in on Bruce. I'm sure my airplane knows its way around those parts pretty well. :D

Anytime Liz!!! Yep, I am sure your plane knows this entire area by heart...
We still gotta do that meet-up half way.

I diverted there once coming back from vacation in Bar Harbor Maine, KBHB. Nice stop, people were helpful, friendly, and sold me 100LL. :)

Stayed a few hours and left for home. No worries mate. The Hudson Valley is beautiful.

Chuck: Yep Dutchess is Dutchess County... I fly a 172 / sorta like I drive a Ford truck. Let's meet-up sometime and burn some holes in the sky.

Sounds good to me. Yesterday reminded me that I should really use the planes for fun occasionally (well, the instrument training is fun, but of a different sort).

This is New England - there are airports every two miles or so.:wink2:

I like flying, but I'm still a little jealous! The fall colors we have around here kinda suck so far. :(

Well, there isn't much about New England that I like better than the Midwest, but there are gorgeous falls out here.

Most of us who fly around here also tend to cruise with alot of altitude between us and the ground. Personally, I am almost always at 6500 to 7500 ft just to have the time to work out the details, if needed. Our training includes many many practice power-out scenarios for troubleshooting and finding places to put the plane down, and the examiners here stress that alot in the PT.

We were lower than that, because of that scatter/broken layer at ~6000 that made the pictures turn out so nicely, but usually I go east at 5500, west at 6500. In this part of the country, there's almost always something suitable below you. Looking at my sectional, I think we spent more time in glide range of an airport than not on that flight.

Back